Choose your top three entries for the Nightwatch DM Challenge:  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Choose your top three entries for the Nightwatch DM Challenge:

• GAME OF CRATES by Puddy
    • STACK by Erratic
    • SECTOR 2 by SamCom
    • NOCTURNAL by Campaignjunkie
    • I WISH I HAD A JOB by Zyndrome

from a design point of view i think Game of crates and sector 2 were the best.

Game of crates just seemed very well balanced and quite well thought out, had nice visibility, tight corners, exposed height advantages, didnt seem to be any spot that was the best, weapon placement seemed great aswell.

Stack had 1 spawn point = disqualified no?

Sector2 again like game of crates seemed well balanced.

NOCTURNAL would of been the best if it wasnt for that imba gun at the top, great visibility and only 1 access route, making it prime camping spot.

I WISH I HAD A JOB was also great, but there weren't quite enough guns lying around. 2 shotgun and SMG spawns would of been great.

Overall I had an awesome time playing them all.

In future more playing before voting, coz it was awesome and actually allows people to see if they play as well as they may look.

I only played crates and nocturnal, so that's all I can speak for gameplay wise.

Crates was great, all the areas of the map seemed well balanced although I found I didn't spent much time in the upper floor of the brick building. looked nice and played nice. I loved that the snipers tower had a not too hard to reach ladder up to it with a shotgun at the bottom to counter snipers.

Nocturnal was so wierdly scaled for a DM map. You could spawn on a crate and loose health falling off it. Having to use ladders to move up what was a very vertical map was a pain also, you become a sitting duck for whoever has the gauss gun or that snipers perch up top. This said, I did feel like the map had a kind of asymetrical flow that actually worked... but this might have been because I moved up stories by respawning there.

Anyway I'm gonna vote on looks cause I didn't play all the levels :crazy:

Okay, now for my thoughts on the maps from yesterdays playsession, in order of playing:

Sector

This map features the best gameplay, hands-down. It has improved quite a bit from when I tested the a1-version.

Good pathways, balanced weapon placement and good spawn points. Visual quality is smooth, but not too exciting. Doesn't matter when you're fragging your ass off though.

Stack

Unfortunately, we realized within 5 seconds that the map only had one spawn. Probably my favorite map visually though.

Nocturnal

Some cool brushwork, interesting layout and nice visuals. But the gameplay was a bit lacking. The ladders are too penalizing and the weapon placement isn't balanced. If ladders were replaced with elevators and weapon spawns are tweaked this would probably be the strongest map.

Game of Crates

My own map. Felt that I should remove some of the "ladder crates" (ie the ones designed so you can jump one elevation-step at a time) and add more ramps to keep movement more smooth and fluent. Also, slightly more weapon spawns to accommodate larger amount of players. Finally, would be fun with a doomsday button of some sort (this goes for the other maps too!).

I wish I had a job

Pretty solid visuals, but not very interesting gameplay. Weapon spawns are a bit boring, both in placement and weapon types, and the layout needs more elevation and a tad more pathways. Still, it's not too shabby and it was fun playing. Bonuspoints for using teleports!

Yeah, sorry, no luck, I've been messing with trying to get the dedicated server up, no dice.

My guess is that you are probably behind a router and HLDS then tends to use your local IP instead of global IP. I remember I messed with that crap but can't remember how to fix it...

I think I might actually have it up! I don't think it's showing up in the server browser, but the IP is x. I can connect to it using that IP. It should be set up with a frag and time limit, with the map list including all the NWDM maps, including the updated nwdm_stack. Download the new version of it if you just downloaded the map pack. Someone try and connect and let me know, I'll hang around for a bit to make sure it's actually working.

Great work guys, I'll have to try these out and do a vote. Would have entered if it weren't for me being a very slow mapper, I wouldn't have got very far in the timeframe!