[Portal 2] Infinifling

The Horse Strangler

Whaddup playas'. Been working on this map for the summer inaitive over at ThinkingWithPortals.com, wanted to get some more crits and crots on it:

Infinifling pits the player directly into a chamber filled with redirections (we had to have some) and mechanics built on prevailing mid-air portaling techniques, though with less difficulty and more fun.

sp_geardev_infinifling_twp1.jpg

sp_geardev_infinifling_twp2.jpg

sp_geardev_infinifling_twp3.jpg

File Name: sp_geardev_infiniflingV2.7z

File Size: 7.3 MiB

http://forums.thinkingwithportals.com/d ... &df_id=602

I grew tired of the Wheatly and Glados dialog since it played such a pivotal role in the SP game. It just felt out of place here to me. I missed the big set piece transformation of the chamber. May need some more visual cues to direct the player to look at it at the proper time. I am a pretty impatient player and grew tired of falling to my death so I gave up. You may need some more cues to let player know where they are aiming to go. As I wasn't exactly sure at first.

Pretty interesting. Needs more visual breadcrumbing.

Demo: http://www.mediafire.com/?hdzk49dy5lm412o

I grew tired of the Wheatly and Glados dialog since it played such a pivotal role in the SP game. It just felt out of place here to me. I missed the big set piece transformation of the chamber. May need some more visual cues to direct the player to look at it at the proper time. I am a pretty impatient player and grew tired of falling to my death so I gave up. You may need some more cues to let player know where they are aiming to go. As I wasn't exactly sure at first.

Pretty interesting. Needs more visual breadcrumbing.

Demo: http://www.mediafire.com/?hdzk49dy5lm412o

Interesting. I have the cube spawn right across the gap, not sure how much more I can do to highlight that though.

After watching the demo there's not much more I can say aside the fact that you genuinely aren't paying attention to the area. Like some of the oddest situations where events were taking place, and at one time you where staring at the floor :D. I also noticed you never bother looking up. I specifically put the Wheatley monitor up so high near the exit so that players could see it. I understand that players generally never look up, so theres not much more I think I can do for a visual cue on that one.

Previously the chamber area with the funnel was open, so the player could walk around in there while the intro scene played out. I limited the player to a smaller space to force an importance on the space ahead, mainly the gap.

I'll try a few things to grab more player attention, not really seeing what else I can do at this point though. The next step is really just putting a big fat sign right over the chamber set pieces.

After watching the demo there's not much more I can say aside the fact that you genuinely aren't paying attention to the area.

Fair enough but you'll have to get past that way of thinking if you want to make great levels.

After watching the demo there's not much more I can say aside the fact that you genuinely aren't paying attention to the area.

Fair enough but you'll have to get past that way of thinking if you want to make great levels.

lol. I think you misunderstand. It's not that I don't care for feedback like that. The only issue I'm having with your playtesting data is that like mentioned previously, you never look up. This REALLY surprises me considering it's a portal chamber. Theres a consistent way of scoping out a chamber when you walk into it, and that generally involves looking at up at some point in time.

I realized you noticed the exit was above you after 8 minutes. Regardless thanks for taking the time to record yourself playing.