Ryan 'BEANCUBE' Bargiel -aka LOOM - ENVIRONMENT ARTIST

LOOM

Hey Mapcore dudes!

Just checked my last activity here... 2009! haha - damned polycount :S

Left my post as Snr Enviro Artist @ SEGA Australia in February, been spending my time since then mainly building up my Folio.

Hunting down some of my old work , getting some newer stuff built in UDK - while trying to juggle part time work and working on some Iphone games with some friends :)

Life is good, but ill need something fulltime soon! So ill try and pimp my art in various places. Would love any feedback, what im missing - what shouldnt be there... you guys know the drill!

Cheers!

http://www.beancubeoflove.com

BAN_APRT_01.jpgBAN_SR_01.jpg

Thanks for all the kind words guys!

Hopefully some good luck will come my way, i picked a fun time to job hunt and relocate lol

@ e-freak : Hey dude, yeh ur name is familiar :) definately some great times there!

Regarding the post you made about putting up the W.I.P apartment, you are probably right.

I just wanted to post something fresh for 2011, as all my previous art is from 2006-2009.

Posting it 1st on the frontpage, will make me finish it haha!

Solid work right there, I love your texture work!

As for the portfolio itself I have some crits:

- The galleries are way too wide. I'm on a 1650x1080 monitor and I need to scroll some of the pages horizontally.

- I'd move the guns page to the bottom of the page (or maybe even remove it since you are looking for an environment artist position).

- I'd move the Playstation Home page below to the Hellboy page. The Hellboy page is a lot more interesting to look at than the Playstation Home one!

- You need *THAT* one personal piece that will make you stand out from the crowd. Your commercial work is really good but I can't tell how you work looking at those screenshots. The orange room looks awesome but it's not in real-time. I think that starting a new real-time environment from scratch and posting breakdowns that show how you approach your work would take your portfolio to another level.

Cheers Minotauro! Appreciate it man.

1. The galleries are way too wide. I'm on a 1650x1080 monitor and I need to scroll some of the pages horizontally.

Yep Fair enough - im on a 27" at a hi res, ill keep the guys at a lower res in mind! ;)

2.I'd move the guns page to the bottom of the page (or maybe even remove it since you are looking for an environment artist position).

Yep, ill drop it towards the bottom.

3. I'd move the Playstation Home page below to the Hellboy page. The Hellboy page is a lot more interesting to look at than the Playstation Home one!

I agree- it is alot more Architectural and i guess more sterile. I just thought since there was alot more actual "Environment Building" in the PSHome comparing to my content from Hellboy.

With your last crit: 1st of, what do you mean by real-time? Are you suggesting an Environment more generic to the sense of an FPS, with "gameplay" elements as realtime?

The Apartment is an architectural piece kept within game specifations - Running in "Real Time" in UDK.

Everything is either baked down from a Highpoly source or modelled at a triangle count that works with the shaders. Which you can see on my break downs of some assets below on the page.

Not startin shit here, but checking your Zest Foundation Environment. There is barely any breakdown on the building on such environment - One small image of some tillable meshes?

I agree that the rest of my Environments dont have very good breakdowns at all, which is why i am documenting this Apartment!

If you read the Description at the top of the page, ive included my WhiteBox Building Standards PDF:

Download here for a quick read of my workflow.

http://www.beancubeoflove.com/images/DOCS/Whitebox_Building_Standards.pdf

Apartment Whitebox mesh:

white_box_ver_01_bnc.jpg

Top Down with Dimensions and Measurements:

floor_layout_01.jpg

wb_dimensions_01.jpg

Cheers Minotauro! Appreciate it man.

1. The galleries are way too wide. I'm on a 1650x1080 monitor and I need to scroll some of the pages horizontally.

Yep Fair enough - im on a 27" at a hi res, ill keep the guys at a lower res in mind! ;)

2.I'd move the guns page to the bottom of the page (or maybe even remove it since you are looking for an environment artist position).

Yep, ill drop it towards the bottom.

3. I'd move the Playstation Home page below to the Hellboy page. The Hellboy page is a lot more interesting to look at than the Playstation Home one!

I agree- it is alot more Architectural and i guess more sterile. I just thought since there was alot more actual "Environment Building" in the PSHome comparing to my content from Hellboy.

With your last crit: 1st of, what do you mean by real-time? Are you suggesting an Environment more generic to the sense of an FPS, with "gameplay" elements as realtime?

The Apartment is an architectural piece kept within game specifations - Running in "Real Time" in UDK.

Everything is either baked down from a Highpoly source or modelled at a triangle count that works with the shaders. Which you can see on my break downs of some assets below on the page.

Not startin shit here, but checking your Zest Foundation Environment. There is barely any breakdown on the building on such environment - One small image of some tillable meshes?

I agree that the rest of my Environments dont have very good breakdowns at all, which is why i am documenting this Apartment!

If you read the Description at the top of the page, ive included my WhiteBox Building Standards PDF:

Download here for a quick read of my workflow.

http://www.beancubeoflove.com/images/DOCS/Whitebox_Building_Standards.pdf

Apartment Whitebox mesh:

white_box_ver_01_bnc.jpg

Top Down with Dimensions and Measurements:

floor_layout_01.jpg

wb_dimensions_01.jpg

I'm an idiot, I didn't read the page carefully and I thought your apartment scene was actually a mental ray render or something :P

haha all good man, But do you think i should start to break down the environment further into parts?

Since its still a w.i.p ill take the crits and redo the pages into a full break down when im finished :)

Double Post :o

Alright Guys, i split up the Orange Room Apartment into Workflow Break Downs of what i have so far.

I will probably add the lighting Setup and Enviro Wireframe in the Final Section.

What do u think Mino? bit more clear of how i work? :)

http://www.beancubeoflove.com/A_WHITEBOX.html

http://www.beancubeoflove.com/A_ASSETS.html