Sign in to follow this  
knj

Your advice . . .

Again... you are making the same mistakes most people do when they start. Have you watched the tutorial that I posted? It mentions the wavy lines problem and how to fix it.

And yes, check Bunglo's link!

First of all thank you for great links and loads of info,

i was testing all afternoon today, i do understand the wavy lines issue, so at the end of the day i made several bakes of my vase, hmm i have some improvement (the bottom part looks nice now) the top part is a lil better, but still far from good

vase_2.jpg

So last sunday i started the whole process from beginning (without lp modeling) just for practice

vase_fin.png

this is my result

i have some issues like streaching textures and not perfect normals, but what do you think ?

the most time i've spent on texturing, all the paintings are hand made. I'm pretty happy with the result, although it is not perfect

this shot was taken from "danger close" range :D

Great work so far, but I think you need to sort out a few things.

I think the cracks are overdone – unless this is a cracked vase that has been reassembled and glued together later. Also, the way they are made right now it looks more like deliberate scratchings over the vase other than actual cracks from broken pieces.

As for the texture itself it looks pretty good, but the cracks really detract from the overall piece.

Also, maybe you could fix some of the round edge normal problems in photoshop?

Keep up the good work!

Thank you for your feedback, i have the same thing about those cracks, but i was so frustrated to finish the first atempt that i had to leave it like this hehe :)

ok and just to let you know, it is render from UDK

I think the cracks on the main body of it are good, as far as layout and spacing and such. I think they're too deep and bright though, they look very clean.

The handles and base have a much higher density of cracks, and makes it look weird. Reduce the number of cracks on those/increase spacing, and darken up the crack color and I think you've got it nailed. Especially the base, there are lots of cracks around the midsection of it but no cracks at all on the rim - the most likely place to be cracked. Looks off.

also, I don't know what age this pot is supposed to be represented as, but I think older pots are alot less reflective, so perhaps adjust the spec based on the ink/paint, or based on crack location.

if it's an ancient pot that has been re-assembled, you could add a tiny sliver of specular in the middle of the cracks, as the adhesive would darken the terracotta and be glossy,

or make the pieces more specular the farther from the cracks, as the cracked areas would probably get more damage.

*edit, also look at how much ceramic material is lost when some-thing is re-assembled:

Redmond_Fig6.jpg

lion-relief-tell-halaf-pro-destruction-post-reconstruction.jpg

8.jpg

(I worked for a summer @ an archeological firm, putting vases like this together sucks! heh (personal opinion, props to anyone who loves to work with this stuff. ))

So, i finally found some time, and made lod's for my vase. 1.700 tris is close to player model

lods.jpg

it took me about 3h, but my workflow was:

1. i was working on triangulated mesh, i removed almost every edge ring, and then removed verts to get lover geometry

2. again triangulated my model

3. by hand tweeked some edges to get shading right

if you got some trick, please let me know :)

and what about texturing, i know that for example Unreal U. is taking care of textures, but do i need spec and normal on my lods ? i know it depends on distance, but what do you do commonly?

Can you post a wireframe?

What ever textures you have plugged into the material (diffuse, spec, normal, etc), said engine will downscale the textures by uses their mipmaps as the distance from you and the mesh increases. No need to setup a separate material for LODs.