Sign in to follow this  
KungFuSquirrel

THE DOOR CHALLENGE: Rules and Discussion

Greetings!

It's that time again - time to discuss the rules for our next challenge! For this round, we'll be rocking generalvivi's "Door Challenge," in which you'll be provided this prefab in Source, UDK, and OBJ formats for the engine/editor of your choice:

example.jpg[/attachment]

Now, our rules:

Using the included prefab in the engine of your choice, script a puzzle to creatively open the door! It doesn't matter whether you're entering, exiting, or just moving from one room to another - just get to the other side.

As this is a scripting challenge, you are encouraged to use dev textures and only what art assets are absolutely necessary to communicate key ideas.

The challenge will begin Friday, April 29th, and end Sunday, May 22nd at 11:59PM US CENTRAL time (GMT -6)

As always, the submission thread will be opened in the final week of the challenge. Post the following items with your submission:

• [*:j5j6ls5c]A zip file including your map file
    [*:j5j6ls5c]The original level source (and any other relevant files) for inquiring minds to examine your scripting
    [*:j5j6ls5c]2 screenshots of your scene (ATTACHED! This will help us archive our entries for posterity :) )
    [*:j5j6ls5c]A video showing the puzzle's intended solution

You will have roughly one week to review all entries and vote at the challenge's conclusion. A single vote will be held for the overall winner. Voters will be allowed to vote for their top 3 entries, and the level that receives the most votes will be declared our winner.

You may:

• [*:j5j6ls5c]Use the Source Engine (using the included .vmf file) OR
    [*:j5j6ls5c]Use the April 2011 UDK (using the included .udk file) OR
    [*:j5j6ls5c]Use another engine of your choosing (using the included .obj file as reference - please scale to approximately match the Source/UDK relative player scale)
    [*:j5j6ls5c]Modify the provided template geometry, scripting, lighting, etc. as needed to create your puzzle.

You MAY NOT:

• [*:j5j6ls5c]Move the door.

As with the previous challenge, there will be no prize other than the pride of knowing people thought you were awesome. Woo.

THE TEMPLATE

---> Download <---

This thread will be available for ongoing rules discussion and WIP screenshots as the challenge progresses. Good luck!

Hahahahahahahahah Vivi, your puzzle made me laugh so much. Fuck knocking on the door, just throw a TIN CAN at her! That's so awesome man :v

Glad to see the excitement! I don't know if I'll have time for this one, but it should be a fun one.

Hahahahahahahahah Vivi, your puzzle made me laugh so much. Fuck knocking on the door, just throw a TIN CAN at her! That's so awesome man :v

Exactly the kind of creativity to put into this one :D I expect to see a few zany ones ;)

As an extra rule, how about using only the basic logical scripting entities, brushes & effects that are shared by Hammer, UnrealEd, Sandbox, Unity etc? Universal things like logic nodes, trigger brushes, simple effects & the like, while avoiding the very game-specific & heavily coded things like Portal's portals.

As an extra rule, how about using only the basic logical scripting entities, brushes & effects that are shared by Hammer, UnrealEd, Sandbox, Unity etc? Universal things like logic nodes, trigger brushes, simple effects & the like, while avoiding the very game-specific & heavily coded things like Portal's portals.

I see the point because with something like portal it would be easy to built a complete level compared to HL2 or what ever. But I think people could do really creative things with the gravity gun, portals etc and it might be a shame to limit it in that way.

I would say no, I don't think we should stifle creativity. I mean, chances are if you create a puzzle to open the door and it just uses the normal portal mechanics, your puzzle wont be "Awesome" enough to win, just my take on it.

WOOT! Let's Do it! I might have to enter this a second time! :D

It should go without saying, your first entry will be considered ineligible ;)

I would say no, I don't think we should stifle creativity. I mean, chances are if you create a puzzle to open the door and it just uses the normal portal mechanics, your puzzle wont be "Awesome" enough to win, just my take on it.

Agreed; I think part of the fun of having multiple games represented is seeing the ways different games' mechanics might change the way one approaches the puzzle's design. I think it'd be a waste to make a Portal map where you didn't take full advantage of all the tools at your disposal - but like vivi said, just shooting a couple portals and walking through the door probably won't win you too many votes :)

I have to ask, can we have a 'fail condition'. If the player doesn't do all the necessary steps before opening the door I'd like to have them restart instead of it just not working.

Also, awesome challenge!