Minos

ITT: Post maps/scenes that never saw the light of the day.

1 hour ago, Pink Flamingo said:

Can i get your light_environment settings ?

Sorry I don't have the files anymore. I remember using color correction though to get that lighting so you might give it a try.

On 4/12/2011 at 2:46 AM, dux said:

DoWII map before I got hired for ns2.

Jr8nO.jpg

dm_drift2 before I got hired for ns2.

CI82b.jpg

My old city map

city_big1.jpg

Making maps all day takes away my remaining desire to make my own stuff now. :sad:

I started learning Hammer (CSGO) at age 39 a year ago for fun. Friends and family say to go do that for a living. I don't want to work 10-14+ hour days on something I may not enjoy. It would definitely kill my thirst for making my own thing at home. That's some nice work though. Now that I know what goes into just making a map, I now appreciate games that I play, even on PS4, from a different perspective. Though I'm no pro. What games do ns2 make, if I may ask? 

8 hours ago, WhatGrenadeWhere said:

I started learning Hammer (CSGO) at age 39 a year ago for fun. Friends and family say to go do that for a living. I don't want to work 10-14+ hour days on something I may not enjoy. It would definitely kill my thirst for making my own thing at home. That's some nice work though. Now that I know what goes into just making a map, I now appreciate games that I play, even on PS4, from a different perspective. Though I'm no pro. What games do ns2 make, if I may ask? 

NS2 is Natural Selection 2, the sequel to the half life 1 mod Natural Selection by the company I work for, Unknown Worlds. We are making Subnautica at the moment. I still make a few things for myself but when you're pouring in a lot of hours into a project you do get burnt out.

On 2017-01-25 at 10:49 AM, clankill3r said:

NS2 is one of the best games ever. It sucks that the skill level of the people left playing goes from braindead to 2013 championship winners :D

Word! It takes out the bits I loved about the AVP multiplayer and adds some twists and turn. Love it! :D

Sadly, most people I know didn't pick it up for some reason.

Today I decided to kill one of my projects. It's been running for too long and I find that making maps for the Unreal Tournament-community doesn't give all that much considering how long time it takes to develop maps. Was planning to replace all flat surfaces with meshes with vertex painting materials, do some proper lighting etc. However, I feel I need to focus my creative efforts on commercial projects and thus I'm killing this one and I won't ressurect it.

MGERkNL.jpg

tanjJLg.jpg

VL7STXb.jpg

eBzyMIP.jpg

bwnXQ8b.jpg

gh852tX.jpg

pBqNwl4.jpg

0BJxXa7.jpg

gqtBfuk.jpg

hVXGoRz.jpg

d4IyrWl.jpg

Edited by Sjonsson

Pity because looks it was coming along well. Maybe you siege too much time with brushes? Are least looks like there are a lot that make up detail where it should be modular assets. 

Definitely with these technologies you need to team up unless you are tackling no more than two projects at a time

16 hours ago, blackdog said:

Pity because looks it was coming along well. Maybe you siege too much time with brushes? Are least looks like there are a lot that make up detail where it should be modular assets. 

Definitely with these technologies you need to team up unless you are tackling no more than two projects at a time

Thanks! Yeah there are many brushes in there I planned to replace entirely with meshes. Probably should've switched from brushes to meshes a lot earlier. That's the thing, I've been winded up in too many things and I've been spending more than a year just wrapping up projects and finishing them. Won't start anything new until I have a clean slate - decided to finish or kill all my side-projects and I think I will do that in the future. Either finish or kill the projects and stop freezing them all together and really reconsider my projects thoroughly before I decide to do them. Not sure it will work out but I'll give it a try.