Minos

ITT: Post maps/scenes that never saw the light of the day.

Remake of DM-plunge. It was first payed work, but the coder skimped out and the project fell apart. I'll likely finish it when I'm done my current work:

2015-08-12_00001.jpg

2015-08-12_00002.jpg

2015-08-12_00003.jpg

It's much darker than it should be, but that's an easy fix.

Edited by Gale

sx2ka8.thumb.jpg.2108e5a5b6802cc98314017

spxmie.thumb.jpg.ddfb1ab29cf2ba40e296c13

zksu42.thumb.jpg.484037b2f5da36214d5e582

21jozly.thumb.jpg.2821af162c6615cb89bde4

2r7t1ja.thumb.jpg.64ad9258a6eafea6c8a878

I was tried to make an open world RP map like GTA 5 for Garry's mod

And I wasted my time :(

Nice! I did a GTA 3 like environment for HL1 many moons ago...

https://www.mapcore.org/topic/6833-d3ads-portfolio/?do=findComment&comment=128333

I also wasted my time :cry:

Edited by D3ads

Maybe one day I'll actually turn these into something? I occasionally work on these sort of scenes for CS:GO but I'm terrible at making layouts so I usually just detail little areas to look nice and move on.

you need to find a gameplay guy to collaborate with :) there's a lot of people on here that are the inverse of you- like doing layouts but suck at detailing.

Maybe one day I'll actually turn these into something? I occasionally work on these sort of scenes for CS:GO but I'm terrible at making layouts so I usually just detail little areas to look nice and move on.

This is some fine architecture there :); it's a shame to see them go to "waste" and not see the light of day in a playable map.

Creating a perfectly balanced layout that pleases everyone is hard but it's not rocket science either. It's just a matter of practice:

You'll have to learn the basics of competitive gameplay, check previous works of other designers to see what works and what doesn't and check some videos of pro-players in recent CSGO tournaments to track their movements and see how they use the environment to give you an idea what to design and place in your map.

Lastly you can read some articles on map design and competitive play; here are some examples:

Once you have a playable layout, Mapcore's playtest server is the way to go where most of the layout flaws will be pinpointed before you dig deeper in the detailing and art pass phase.

Another solution is to team up with another designer where he takes care of the layout and balancing :-D and you unleash your creativity on the art and detailing...profit?:D

Best of luck and hope to really see those streets in a playable map soon.

Snab, Cruptor and I are making another Hunger Games map for CSGO. Requesting feedback for improvement.

0a1257fc778bf1476bcfcabab8cb1a8d.jpg

ignore the giant concrete block to the right.

2f3629b91377c33c7da63d786d9c1e21.jpg

emphasis on "ignore"

2015-09-02_00005.jpg

Edited by Feral_

img

gE7gGch.jpg

Lkf8CHi.png

This scene looks similar to a map in the previous operation. I don't see why you haven't worked them into something already, it looks great!

Edited by Feral_