Minos

ITT: Post maps/scenes that never saw the light of the day.

Detailing here is great. Lighting is probably too dark for comp CS too so keep that in mind. Visability is key.

Ya, this was barely a 1st lighting pass - probably not many cubemaps placed either.  I wanted to do a night map, but not sure how that will work for competitive.  Plus sacrificing a lot of light play with the global ray cast is a shame... so it will likely be a somewhat daytime map.  Lighting and layouts were some fundamental problems with the map which I've fixed when I started from scratch (which is now  )

Edited by shm0

Detailing here is great. Lighting is probably too dark for comp CS too so keep that in mind. Visability is key.

Ya, this was barely a 1st lighting pass - probably not many cubemaps placed either.  I wanted to do a night map, but not sure how that will work for competitive.  Plus sacrificing a lot of light play with the global ray cast is a shame... so it will likely be a somewhat daytime map.  Lighting and layouts were some fundamental problems with the map which I've fixed when I started from scratch (which is now  )

de_acceleration does it quite well, have a look at that as a base maybe?

de_acceleration does it quite well, have a look at that as a base maybe?

Thanks for the suggestion!  I'll check it out

I found a concept i've made for my map fy_pool_day back in 2012 in which you were able to switch at any time from the version i made (with "csgo graphics") to the original version of the map (made by Squall on CS 1.6) by just switching a lever.

Here on this test version, there was no button/lever, you had to shoot at a box in the middle of the map :

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=v-njp5ekq3Q

Try to guess how i did it :)

Hehe you know what, you're right ! Or at least that's what i tried to do at first ^^

With this method, i had loooots of issues due to lighting and collision, and i needed real walls behind the func_brush to optimize the map (even if it's true it wasn't really needed for such a small map). So after transforming all the walls in func_brush and remaking the map with old graphics also in func_brush, i deleted everything and found a much simpler and elegant solution :)

The environment exists twice on the map : one for the "newer version" and one for the CS 1.6 version and there's a trigger_teleport that gets activated when you switch the lever/shoot the box. To keep the relative positions of each players according to the trigger_teleport box, i used a info_landmark entity.

The only constraint is that the collisions must be exactly the same (so that players don't get stuck when teleporting). If anyone wants to do the same for a new gamemod or something, don't hesitate to do it and ask me if you need any help.