Sign in to follow this  
Minos

Source reflections problem

Hi. I have been trying to fix this for a couple of hours now and I honestly can't find a solution.

I'm trying to make a pretty simple wall texture, containing a diffuse, a normal and an env map mask (which is saved in the normal map alpha). However, the reflections show up all checkered in Hammer and don't show up at all ingame:

qOqOU.jpg

I'm using the latest VTF plugin to generate the VTFs. Here's what my material looks like:

"LightmappedGeneric"

{

"$baseTexture" "maps/minotaur0/minoz_wall01"

"$bumpmap" "maps/minotaur0/minoz_wall01_normal"

"$envmap" "env_cubemap"

"$envmaptint" "[ .3 .3 .3 ]"

"$normalmapalphaenvmapmask" "1"

}

I haven't worked with Source in quite a long time so I hope I'm not doing something dumb.

Oh, oops, I didn't read the post properly, just saw the screenshot and went with it. (As usual.)

The "1" or 1 shouldn't matter with boolean parameters like that. Hmm.

Well, if Hammer knows to display the specular like that AT ALL, you know it works. Make sure you're rebuilding your cubemaps and you have enough light sources to generate a proper cubemap at all.

Yeah it's horribly inefficient like that. My usual process after doing a compile in Source was...

- Load map with HDR on

- "buildcubemaps"

- "mat_hdr_level 0"

- "changelevel "

- "buildcubemaps"

- "mat_hdr_level 2"

- "changelevel "

- "changelevel "

I believe you could use "mat_reloadall" or whatever the command is as an alternative to force a refresh of the cubemaps after building them.

Yeah it's horribly inefficient like that. My usual process after doing a compile in Source was...

- Load map with HDR on

- "buildcubemaps"

- "mat_hdr_level 0"

- "changelevel "

- "buildcubemaps"

- "mat_hdr_level 2"

- "changelevel "

- "changelevel "

I believe you could use "mat_reloadall" or whatever the command is as an alternative to force a refresh of the cubemaps after building them.

back in my days reloadallmaterials failed by producing several errors. the changelevel workaround was the way to go.

- Load map with HDR on

- "buildcubemaps"

- "mat_hdr_level 0"

- "changelevel "

- "buildcubemaps"

- "mat_hdr_level 2"

- "changelevel "

- "changelevel "

back in my days reloadallmaterials failed by producing several errors. the changelevel workaround was the way to go.

Aye, same here^^

i hate the whole cubemaps thing in source :(

Oh and, this is not a stupid thread. Took me ages to figure out the solution to the same problem...