Hawken

• 4 years later...

Super necro here but I wanted to post something about this game after hearing this. Sorry if I've gone too far into the past.

So the devs posted this to Facebook yesterday:

Pilots,

It’s been an incredible journey since the introduction of Hawken on Steam, back in 2014. The game’s success has been largely due to your continuous support. The Hawken community has been the cornerstone of this ever-evolving franchise.

After 3 great years, we are shutting down the PC Steam servers to refocus our development efforts. The PC game will officially be removed on January 2, 2018, and all DLC and purchasable content will also be unavailable starting today. 

It’s been an incredibly rewarding experience working alongside such a dedicated PC player base. Your feedback and support has been invaluable to us, and the team looks forward to creating more great games based on what we’ve learned from you. 

Thank you all very much for your support! 

The Hawken Team

https://www.facebook.com/playhawken/photos/a.266722556726084.65918.146679755397032/1698236836907975/?type=3&theater

Now, I was never a hardcore fan of this game but I did play it a fair bit and enjoyed it quite a lot early on. Only stopped playing since none of my friends were playing it and you inevitably play whatever your friends play when online. I never followed what went on behind the scenes but it sounds like it's been a rocky ride for the game, changing owners and some bad decisions from management.

So they're shutting down the servers for PC and removing the game from Steam Jan 2nd 2018. 

This kind of situation always saddens me a little bit because a bit of gaming history is being lost. It's a problem with F2P games I guess but luckily I don't recall many being "lost" for good. But since players don't own the game or anything these things can be taken away from us at the press of a button by the devs/publishers. 

It's a shame that in these situations the source files aren't just released to the community. A lot of people on the Facebook post are calling for that or at least the release of the server files so people can continue to play it. The gaming community are a resourceful bunch and would be more than happy to maintain and even improve or add to the game. Battlefield 2 comes to mind with https://battlelog.co/ where you can download BF2 for free and play it online. It's quite populated!

Of course, there's always a chance they're going to want to try and sell the IP or at least continue it's support on XBOne/PS4 so I understand why these things don't happen.

There's also the fact that people have spent money on the game for cosmetic items. These people will have nothing to show for the spent money come Jan 2nd.

Just wanted to bring it up and maybe get your guys thoughts.

This is news. Like you say, it regularly happens.

Not much to add really, I never played it it for the sake of the players that supported it, I would hope for a release of the server to allow people to keep playing.

I can only think of depressing things when I read this kind of news, it’s a sign of time passing and I guess a cautionary tale to not invest buying for this kind of games? At the same time you can think of it as a service, a ticket you pay for your enjoyment. (And consequently my head goes to think: can’t you find anything better to spend you money on?)

Maybe this is why I think games should have some sort of single player capability, at least people can still own and fire it up in nostalgia after games go out of commission.

I know business is complicated, but “mods are never as good as full releases”, I don’t think I would mind, if I was making a game of this kind, to release it to the wild, patch it so people can play over LAN etc.

Edited by blackdog