What have you watched recently?

dux

Dredd - Not sure why alot of people liked this? I felt it was just a rip off of the raid and was pretty boring overall with a shit story.. Orginal was far better for what it was.

Dredd's script was leaked pre-production, The Raid was in development after this happened and it isn't entirely far-fetched that the script elements from Dredd were "borrowed" for The Raid.

Dredd - Not sure why alot of people liked this? I felt it was just a rip off of the raid and was pretty boring overall with a shit story.. Orginal was far better for what it was.

Dredd's script was leaked pre-production, The Raid was in development after this happened and it isn't entirely far-fetched that the script elements from Dredd were "borrowed" for The Raid.

Yeah your right D3ads, it wasnt a ripoff. What I should have said, was that it was similar to the raid but much shittier. I actually disliked it so much that the next day I went out and bought the 1995 bluray.

Edited by Dark

Django: 8.5/10

Would get a higher score if it wasn't for the hip hop :mad:

I thought it was trying to make a point about how hip hop is actually sort of an evolution from the shabby condition of the slaves. Like how it emerged out of bitterness. Could just be my dumb interpretation, but I liked it

I've been sick at home this week so I tried Boardwalk Empire. I just finished the second season. I absolutely love it. If you like gangsters, the prohibition era, bootlegging and you can appreciate high production values and good acting, then this show is for you.

The Hobbit: excellent film.

I went in with tempered expectations after seeing some comments about it being a bit weirdly paced and stuff, and I can honestly say that it delighted me to watch. It's the same Middle Earth we all loved in Lord of the Rings, but from a completely different perspective. For those who didn't read the books like me it's great discovering more about characters like Gandalf and the other wizards I had very little idea even existed, as well as helping to provide a bit of foundation for the LOTR to sit on (although I suspect some of this was exaggerated beyond what the book described).

Seeing some old characters return was simply lovely. I knew of some, not of others — highly recommended to go in as blind as possible so you can enjoy the same surprises. And all the new cast members are superb, the Dwarf leader dude is a terrific actor who just 5 or so years ago only really featured in shitty UK dramas. What a career break that he totally deserves. Generally great acting all round though, and I was genuinely taken aback to see so much performance from beastly creatures I just assumed were too unintelligent to speak.

Great film, but don't go in expecting a standalone epic masterpiece like LOTR. The Hobbit simply isn't a story that grand in scope, although what happens is still awesome. I'd say if anything it's a movie that gives the smaller aspects of Middle Earth more life, the smaller battles and creatures that go unnoticed in the grand world-ending dramatics of LOTR.

On a technical note, when I first started watching it I was really distracted by the slow pans of Middle Earth's landscapes. I was watching in a regular 24 FPS 2D cinema screen, and it seemed like something was off with the pans — I couldn't focus my eyes on them properly. Maybe it's because the shutter speed used for shooting is different when shooting at 48 FPS, so when you half the frame rate you end up with a bit of a mess? Or maybe I just wasn't used to it, I don't know. I can't remember it bothering me later in the film so maybe it was just that.