What have you watched recently?

dux

Ad Astra was such a disappointment for me.

Spoiler

I feel the trailer strongly suggest an “Apocalypse Now in space” with the father-son dynamic, rogue nation etc.

No.

The only action is seen in the trailer. It’s kinda pointless, as in just a padding scene, nothing to do with the mission objective.

I wonder if they wanted to create an “Odissey” feeling (I’m talking about Homer), but I don’t think it works if that’s what they had in mind. 

It’s a slow film, which I wouldn’t have a problem with but there’s nothing insightful I feel. It gave me vibes of Solaris, a film I fell asleep on a couple times and decided was too shit to give another chance.

The final scene is ridiculously competes with The Martian in absurdity, but at least that film was meant to be funny.

Finished The Pacific. It took a bit for me to get into, most likely because I was expecting Band of Brothers, but in the pacific theater instead of Europe. Once I realized this mini series has a greater emphasis on how shitty war actually is and how it fucks the men over mentally and physically who are in it, the entire thing is damn good.    

On 11/5/2021 at 9:08 PM, FMPONE said:

I'm on the fence. I really don't think it looks bad, but it definitely, definitely lacks Hollywood production values. that could be a huge problem for a sci-fi show. We shall see

Update:

It appears that I deserve to be severely and harshly punished for giving this show the benefit of the doubt. Lesson learned, this looks like a crime against humanity.

On 11/19/2021 at 7:19 AM, Bunglo said:

Finished The Pacific. […] Once I realized this mini series has a greater emphasis on how shitty war actually is and how it fucks the men over mentally and physically who are in it, the entire thing is damn good.    

It seems that all the war stories set in the pacific focus more on that than action. The Thin Red Line was hard to digest (in cinema, than bought DVD and loved it), the Eastwood films set in the Pacific region… what’s up with that? Is it they face Japanese? ?

8 hours ago, blackdog said:

What I mean is that I agree you can feel a different tone from BoB really. Not sure how, to me feels more introspective (from ep 1-2)

Definitely. That introspection is carried through out the series. I think one reason might be because you're following three different stories/characters, instead of being "apart" of Easy Company like in BoB. 

15 hours ago, -HP- said:

Uhh, this is a good reminder I should watch The Pacific. Never seen it!

Watch it man. I've been going through a WWII binge these past few months, it opened up the pacific theater to me in a way I didn't realize I was missing. Good shit.

Watched the rest of Stranger Things

Season 2 felt like a seamless extension of the first, and I'd say I enjoyed it just as much. The third felt . . unnecessary? It doesn't really expand on the world & instead moves for a very typical ''our heroes go on another adventure'' type of sequel. I think it's a shame because I did feel like season 2 still left some opportunities to further clarify or expand on elements of the story, which as I said were left entirely untouched by the third season. Lots more action, not as much tension. For all intents and purposes a change of genre.

Spoiler

Still gonna watch season 4 when it comes out obv but if the whole thing turns out to be ''yea eleven lost her powers here's 6 hours of her experiencing high school drama lmao'' I will, in fact, be pissed

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty disappointed by Spiral - from the book of Saw.

I was hoping in a return to the first Saw, but it’s incredibly cliche in every plot development. I wasn’t completely sure but I had pointed my finger at the new Jigsaw killer no later than halfway through the film saying “they’re on it for sure”.

Edited by blackdog