What have you watched recently?

dux

17 hours ago, Poofoge said:

Last week I'm doing a Matrix marathon I've been finishing the 2 movies for the first time and 3 next, I'm hype for the new movie! 

ik the matrix for years and rob zombie is a freaking genius

That's a great idea, we signed up for HBO to check out Dune and they have all 3 movies there. Might watch them again.

Just watched bird box, it's pretty good

Spoiler

Did leave me a bit unsatisfied about, like, what the actual ''effect'' is, though. I mean, from what little I recall of it being discussed, I guess the ambiguity is part of its ''thing'' - which I mean yea sure but are you really gonna tell me they spent 5 years holed up literally not looking outside and they never had a thorough discussion of exactly what the fuck is going on? Hell, at the very start you get Mrs. bald dude killing herself while seemingly talking to her long-deceased mother, and, like - that's mentioned once - barely - and then never touched on again? I mean hell at various points Malory hears the whispers too - at least I'm pretty sure she hears them before the final long forest scene - and . . . she doesn't feel its important to prepare the kids for that? ''hey so by the way it's not just about not looking at this shit - it's gonna whisper in your ears and you gotta not listen to what it says yea?'' Kind of feels like that was just left out so they could have the scene where, well, exactly that fucking happens.

And why the hell doesn't it affect the insane? Does it play into your sense of compassion, insinuating those without one are affected differently? I know people dislike excess exposition in storytelling but this apparent utter lack of curiosity of the main characters is just as weird. Also, they showed very little emotion during scenes where it seems they should have - like, I know - shock, and all that - but malory & the bald dude lose a very close relation at the beginning of the story and she's just ''wow dude no I'm shook as hell'' while he behaves like someone just wrecked his car. Which on his part I suppose is kind of part of his character but even then, come on he just watched her self-immolate and he legitimately does not seem phased by this beyond being angry that it's Ms. main character's fault that it happened. Mind you, this is all well before the actual ''well it's the end of the world so what you gonna do'' part of the story.

And you're gonna tell me the effect still works through a camera system but not through a clearly very translucent piece of cloth? And those ghost things are capable of tracking and hunting people down but are equally content to just, like, leave after a few seconds? Surely if they were conscious entities hell-bound on making people kill themselves they'd just . . . keep battering you once they've found you?

RIP Charlie, you were too good for this world

Watched Day of the Jackal. if the idea of one very smart and jesus christ DETERMINED assassin (this motherfucker does not quit!) and an intense manhunt interests you, this will not disappoint.

On 10/31/2021 at 1:29 AM, ThunderKeil said:

Just watched bird box, it's pretty good

Hide contents

Did leave me a bit unsatisfied about, like, what the actual ''effect'' is, though. I mean, from what little I recall of it being discussed, I guess the ambiguity is part of its ''thing'' - which I mean yea sure but are you really gonna tell me they spent 5 years holed up literally not looking outside and they never had a thorough discussion of exactly what the fuck is going on? Hell, at the very start you get Mrs. bald dude killing herself while seemingly talking to her long-deceased mother, and, like - that's mentioned once - barely - and then never touched on again? I mean hell at various points Malory hears the whispers too - at least I'm pretty sure she hears them before the final long forest scene - and . . . she doesn't feel its important to prepare the kids for that? ''hey so by the way it's not just about not looking at this shit - it's gonna whisper in your ears and you gotta not listen to what it says yea?'' Kind of feels like that was just left out so they could have the scene where, well, exactly that fucking happens.

And why the hell doesn't it affect the insane? Does it play into your sense of compassion, insinuating those without one are affected differently? I know people dislike excess exposition in storytelling but this apparent utter lack of curiosity of the main characters is just as weird. Also, they showed very little emotion during scenes where it seems they should have - like, I know - shock, and all that - but malory & the bald dude lose a very close relation at the beginning of the story and she's just ''wow dude no I'm shook as hell'' while he behaves like someone just wrecked his car. Which on his part I suppose is kind of part of his character but even then, come on he just watched her self-immolate and he legitimately does not seem phased by this beyond being angry that it's Ms. main character's fault that it happened. Mind you, this is all well before the actual ''well it's the end of the world so what you gonna do'' part of the story.

And you're gonna tell me the effect still works through a camera system but not through a clearly very translucent piece of cloth? And those ghost things are capable of tracking and hunting people down but are equally content to just, like, leave after a few seconds? Surely if they were conscious entities hell-bound on making people kill themselves they'd just . . . keep battering you once they've found you?

RIP Charlie, you were too good for this world

You can’t really reason on these stories. They hold most of their appeal in not telling… like you I’d say it was ok, but given the amount of memes and noise about it, I was expecting it to be much more freaky.

It reminded me of The Happening, but in retrospective, for as apparently silly explanation, it was better (for me).

I enjoyed much more 10 Cloverfield Lane or A Quiet Place, which I recommend if you haven’t seen.

~

I watched Ghostbusters for the first time(!) the other day.

I always snobbed it because it came out the year after I was born, so when I was about the age of watching it, it was already old and aged.

40 minutes ago, blackdog said:

You can’t really reason on these stories. They hold most of their appeal in not telling… like you I’d say it was ok, but given the amount of memes and noise about it, I was expecting it to be much more freaky.

I'm not expecting them to scientifically explain why or how ghosts are making people kill themselves - obviously - but I do expect, like I said, to see the characters at least show a minimal reasonable amount of curiosity & basic reasoning regarding the situation they're in. In Bird Box's case it just felt like random attributes were being thrown into the mix and noone's even attempting to connect the dots - despite being given a wealth of time to do so.

Spoiler

Like, they're just sitting in the house at the beginning of the film - just lounging - their concern for their loved ones has somehow passed within a day & they're just hanging around waiting for the food to run out - literally no discussion of the ''things'' past like the first 10 or so minutes.

I mean I understand that an antagonist with the ability to kill just by being looked at leaves little incentive for experimentation - you know, after the security camera scene - but nonetheless it feels so thrown-together. They figure out they can use the car's proximity sensors as a sort of sonar vision - cool, interesting way to incorporate a modern technology into a horror plot, that's rare - but then . . once the car's gone, no technology is ever addressed again, besides a walkie-talkie? Did GPS just stop existing the moment the car got stolen? They're all holding smartphones!

Like you said, withholding information is a core part of horror as a genre - but that's not what Bird Box does - it gives us the information and makes the characters just somehow ignore it entirely. And don't even get me started on the fact that they show the ghost things on screen with no hesitation - wow, they look like hot air - and then still expect us to pretend the characters are seeing some unspeakable horror. No, they're seeing hot air, that's what you showed the audience. If you had any competency as a horror director you would have known the first rule of horror is that you keep your indescribable horror off-screen, you fucking hacks.

Thanks, doggo, you somehow made me more pissed about it than I was while watching it

1 hour ago, blackdog said:

I enjoyed much more 10 Cloverfield Lane or A Quiet Place, which I recommend if you haven’t seen.

I'm fairly certain I've seen 10 Cloverfield Lane, not sure about A Quiet Place - I've got a list somewhere

I watched Ghostbusters for the first time(!) the other day.

I always snobbed it because it came out the year after I was born, so when I was about the age of watching it, it was already old and aged.

Interesting, that's entirely opposite of my experience. "Older" content's always been just as appealing to me as new stuff, and the internet certainly made it [cough] available, too. I think a lot of younger people nowadays have a lot more exposure to media from before their time, and streaming services have made that easier than ever. ( well - I mean, to a degree - I have to say looking at the current netflix roster I'm seeing a lot of gaps; 3rd rock, 30 rock, house, always sunny, t70s, etc. I'm sure they're on a service somewhere, but netflix is hardly the library of video media anymore, if it ever was. )

On the topic of Netflix - Just finished the first season of Stranger Things - Wow! As a huge fan of Stephen King and X-Files, I can hardly say more than ''fantastic''.

On 6/21/2019 at 2:11 AM, FMPONE said:

Re-Watched all of Cowboy Bebop and the movie.

You might be interested in this new release

I’m disappointed it is so over-acted, feels very Far East action from the 80s more than an adaptation of the cartoon 😕

You might be interested in this new release

I’m disappointed it is so over-acted, feels very Far East action from the 80s more than an adaptation of the cartoon 😕

I'm on the fence. I really don't think it looks bad, but it definitely, definitely lacks Hollywood production values. that could be a huge problem for a sci-fi show. We shall see

Watched Fantastic Beasts, it's ok

Spoiler

That is to say - it holds up perfectly alright as a standalone film, but as a spinoff of the Harry Potter series it falls . . just a little short.

The whole premise feels off - one of the absolute cornerstones of the harry potter universe is the fact that wizardkind is quaintly un-integrated with the rest of society, to such a degree that they quite plainly do not understand normal clothes. They are, by choice, stuck in the past. Like during the events of the main series - which take place throughout the 1990s - it's implied european wizards are collectively stuck in an 1850s-ish world, only having accepted mere sprinklings of industrialization.

But this takes place in 1920s america and . . the american wizards are completely in sync with the rest of american society? And the main character comes over on a ship (why, by the way? I'm fairly certain it's never insinuated the various forms of wizard transportation lack ability to cross the ocean ) from england wearing perfectly appropriate 1920s clothing? I mean don't get me wrong, I'm sure the cultures would deviate just as they have in regular society - but it just seems . . it seems more like an oversight in writing than an intentional part of the worldbuilding.

And then the house-elves . . the main series spent like 4 books talking about how they're not enslaved and choose to live subserviently entirely by their own nature, but from what little we see of them in this film I thought there was a very heavy-handed implication they were being depicted as an analogy for freed slaves. You're gonna tell me that's how they're viewed in 1920s america, but it still remains at best a difficult point of discussion in britain in the 1990s? Again, just feels like discontinuity and half-hearted writing.

That aside, I thought the acting in general was good enough in its own right, but as far as being a period piece, I didn't think most of the characters' mannerisms and dialogue were very period-appropriate. That's a choice, of course, but even as a general-audiences piece of media, I still thought they could have put some effort into that.

I haven't read the supplementary material which I guess is supposed to explain some of these points, perhaps I will. Nonetheless, I'm confident in stating it very much does radiate the distinct aura of post-2010 media failing to capture the soul of an extant franchise.

All in all, I was mostly left thinking it felt far more like a Doctor Who film than a Harry Potter one. Do mind, I haven't actually seen doctor who - but, you know, I'd like to think I have a pretty good picture of it through nerd osmosis

On 11/14/2021 at 2:22 AM, Bunglo said:

Finished watching Band of Brothers for the hundredth time, still absolutely incredible. I'm going to start The Pacific next which, apart from 20 minutes or so when it first came out, I've yet to see.

Lol, I was in the mood of watching it again (but gave it up cos I pay for subscriptions and just want to use lol).

Pacific I’ve started the first episode a couple times, maybe got to the second, but didn’t feel as engaging so it’s still on the list 😕 I was thinking to try again.