What have you watched recently?

dux

I will second minos, especially regarding dbz kai. I binge watched dragon ball super a couple years ago as an almost 30 year old and loved almost every second of it. The animation quality compared to dragon ball, dbz, and gt is pretty shit but once I got over that, Super became something I wanted to keep watching. Which is a rare thing for me to say because the only other series I've binge watched was Game of Thrones, which I stopped watching completely after season 4 or 5.

• 2 weeks later...

Watched The Sound of Metal. really good movie. i went into it knowing nothing and would recommend that others do the same, it's not like most movies and the performances are really, really exceptional.

Finished Mr Robot a few weeks ago.
I had watched S1 when the show started, but then dragged my feet to start the rest... for some reason when I started S2 found it boring and abandoned it. Watched everything from the start and found it as one of the finest shows, it's a tremendous thriller sometimes. I just feel it should end 4 episodes earlier than when it does. I know it's done to drive home and resolve the complexity of Elliot, but i guess the reveal just takes too long and feels disconnected from the tease that takes place at the beginning of the season.

Anyway there are a couple of highlight episodes that are just too good (The silent episode and the one following above all)

Finally god around to watching Ready Player One, really quite enjoyed it honestly ( Haven't read the book (yet) so idk how it compares )

Spoiler

Never really sought out reviews before because I knew I'd want to see it eventually & you know spoilers and all that - glancing over some things now I'm surprised at the (relatively) low score honestly. Couldn't find anything on here about it but idk maybe I'm just too retarded to use the search box correctly

Either way here's some thoughts on it I guess;

The big ''hollywood moment'' was definitely artemys' ( all the characters in this have wack names which is fine but I'm not gonna google them three times to make sure I spelled it right ) ''real life'' reveal, idk maybe it was supposed to be a parody in and of itself but yea that birthmark was barely visible ( and quite frankly her avatar wasn't even especially attractive unless you're super into elves which makes that whole plotline double not make sense but ok )

Kind of the same thing goes for H, the voice modulator thing was so fucking thick that I called that "twist" the second time (s)he spoke, idk how that was handled in the book but unless it outwardly stated ''H's voice sounds really fucking off by the way so prepare for a totally unpredictable reveal 2/3 through the story'' that seems like it could been done a bit less conspicuously . . I mean for chrisake they're literally in the future but she's still using a like 2008 voice filter bruh come on

From what little I read on rotten tomatoes it seems like the film's been pretty harshly criticized for "pandering" to pop culture nostalgia, but I honestly don't think that's fair - I mean the big battle scene definitely kind of walked that line, but that aside I think it's both a valid theme and a critical part of the overall narrative. We are currently living in a time of nostalgia and recycled content, modern trends are so transient that anyone looking for a cultural icon to latch onto, will inevitably look back. That's what the internet has brought us, the ability to look back and experience culture other than the soup of the day served through radio or television.

i-rok is definitely one of the most believable characters, I might have said he was a little overplayed as a comic relief but ehh nah it was fine. I really liked Halliday as well, minor shame he was hidend behind his gandalf character in half his scenes

I feel like the film's been covered as a ''vr thing'' far too much when there's (IMO) much more interesting themes to be considered - the oasis is kind of depicted as a neo-internet which I guess yea sure, but even still it's an MMO that's managed to capture such a wide audience that its currency is ( I think ) used to purchase non-digital goods, too. I'm not sure I really understand the economics of the world portrayed, but - well, it's certainly interesting, anyway. Wasn't quite clear to me whether the ''win my company'' ARG drew in a lot of new players or just drove a goldrush within the already massive userbase -. . . Idk I was thinking about this a lot but I can't really bring it to words.

Also, I don't think I really understand the IRL scenes from during the big fight, you see people wearing VR goggles out in the street jumping around and fighting the air - they should totally just be bashing into shit ( and oneanother ) the whole time so that's kind of uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh but ok. I mean it's previously established (some) HMDs can turn fully transparent, but still, they're jumping around completely without hesitation so it doesn't really add up. Then again the film starts out with a rolling shot of people jumping around in their living rooms knocking shit over while hooked in so I guess they just hold their physical wellbeing & personal property in very low regard. Well, the clip of the woman tripping over her couch did get a laugh out of us, anyway.

Also watched a bit of Star Wars: the bad batch. It's pretty ok I guess. I quite like the matte paintbrush style

Spoiler

I just don't get why a more pronounced conflict doesn't develop between the sniper & the rest of the team in ep1, he's seemingly just as influenced by his whatever chip as the normal clones, and after order 66 his interests become completely disaligned from the others - but they totally just shrug it off until he literally starts shooting at them. I guess at that point they didn't really understand the chips yet but it still seems like they should've responded more directly when their squadmate opened fire on Caleb - repeatedly.

Watched another one of Adam Curtis' gems on Amazon Prime. This one is about how we gave away control to machines and adopted theories that see everything and everyone as just agents in a system, a system that supposedly can be tweaked to try to achieve stability. But as history and science shows, nature isn't stable and is constantly changing and human psychology is inherently chaotic. Attempts to control them, even if well intentioned, often lead to catastrophes in the past. Anyways, nice history lesson with amazing footage from the past. It's hard to believe this guy has so much space at BBC :)

On 5/25/2021 at 3:57 PM, Minos said:

Watched another one of Adam Curtis' gems on Amazon Prime. This one is about how we gave away control to machines and adopted theories that see everything and everyone as just agents in a system, a system that supposedly can be tweaked to try to achieve stability. But as history and science shows, nature isn't stable and is constantly changing and human psychology is inherently chaotic. Attempts to control them, even if well intentioned, often lead to catastrophes in the past. Anyways, nice history lesson with amazing footage from the past. It's hard to believe this guy has so much space at BBC :)

Reminds me of Teddy K

Some excerpts from article: https://kk.org/thetechnium/the-unabomber-w/

FE79896F-E685-4FD9-9704-116123032523.jpeg

A9DA625D-A64A-4C05-AC1D-23E5BFD7D23F.jpeg.bda66db8695d44c740c8ea24fff8b8a5.jpeg

8132E6C7-701D-42A7-B748-54266EBD7B40.jpeg.37fa6b3a84af386b1bf558ee0db1b3f5.jpeg

17 hours ago, FMPONE said:

fun movie, definitely a product of it's time. but the writing and set design really impressed me, they didn't age much (compared to the special effects)

Yes! Had the same impression when I watched it, which was only in the last two years I think.

Was going to watch the remake just for curiosity

8 hours ago, blackdog said:

Yes! Had the same impression when I watched it, which was only in the last two years I think.

Was going to watch the remake just for curiosity

Supposedly the remake is actually quite good, I’ve heard good things. Might need to watch that next.

On 5/28/2021 at 10:00 PM, FMPONE said:

Supposedly the remake is actually quite good, I’ve heard good things. Might need to watch that next.

The remake could have been a masterpiece (it's from the same director as Elite Squad, the dude knows how to make gritty violent movies). However, the studio interfered creatively a ton, and mandated that the movie be PG 13 :( 

1 hour ago, Minos said:

The remake could have been a masterpiece (it's from the same director as Elite Squad, the dude knows how to make gritty violent movies). However, the studio interfered creatively a ton, and mandated that the movie be PG 13 :( 

Imagine watching this and thinking the remake should be PG13

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...