What have you watched recently?

dux

Just discovered the new Rick & Morty Season 5 trailer has been dropped, with release date announced: 20th June.

Love to see there’s gonna be an episode spoofing the mecha anime like Voltron/Vultus etc

Hope don’t have to wait months to come to Netflix like S4 :(

Edited by blackdog

Since Godzilla vs. King Kong was so good I decided to go old school. Godzilla vs. Destroyah, apparently it's a classic (100% on Rotten Tomatoes)... it was definitely dope. You can see where Evangelion stole most of its ideas, and the special effects while hilariously bad in some parts are also rock and roll as fuck in other parts. Overall very fun

godzillavsdestroyah_poster_med.jpg&f=1&n

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/15/2021 at 9:22 PM, blackdog said:

If you like gangster stories, you can't miss on ZeroZeroZero. It’s basically Sicario (the first) extended for 8 hours -in terms of pacing, tension, action.

I just couldn't help myself and watched the last 4 episodes, half of the mini series, in one sitting.

I'm at the same time impressed and in disbelief this comes from a core of Italian writers/producers. Makes me so angry that we don't spend money in producing cinema that clearly has an international audience.

It's co-produced by Amazon, so I guess it's on Prime in the US.

This is the most vicious show I've ever seen. Pretty damn good

• 3 weeks later...

@blackdog

just went into the first ep cold and holy shit I was not prepared for that ending

[edit] (spoilers (kinda))

Spoiler

Ehh, honestly - not impressed by the writing.

Would actually really love to know why it's so highly rated, although if RT is anything to go by it's half ''dude gore lmao'' and half the fact that "mature" american animation only produces anything new like thrice a decade

Sorry for being a jaded fuck I guess but Dr Seismic made my eyes roll back & that kind of set a tone for the rest of the show . . so between that and waiting a minimum of 3 episodes for the characters to acknowledge any plot point that was revealed yea idk it didn't really spark anything in me

Also super mega nitpick but Atom Eve's symbol is drawn with a cross through it instead of 2 hoops in nearly every shot when a simplification like that really only makes sense when she's too far from the camera to notice the difference. It took me like 4 episodes to realize she wasn't called ''adam eve'' just because her costume didn't make any kind of sense at all

Nitpick No. 2 dear everyone in america please learn how to pronounce the name Cecil

Edited by ThunderKeil

Eh, sorry @ThunderKeil for the time sink 🤷🏻‍♂️
I guess I have low expectations from animation stuff so it struck me better than it is.

if you analyse it yes, there’s an up and down and plot that strays in different directions but I guess it’s to setup the scene/world.

but I wouldn’t over-analyse animation :D

some stuff comes back later as a reference/brief appearance.

No idea about Eve’s logo, I took it as a nod to woke culture but eh, ignored it. I agree it took me a couple episodes to get it right.

Oh - don't be sorry, I still enjoyed it

I just didn't enjoy it 92% audience rating

Untitled8766666666666666a2.png.e5ce92e43b30024a20a5bf2445775cc0.png

To be completely clear I'm not complaining about the visuals in general - some parts were very crudely CG'd but that's industry standard at this point - I quite enjoyed the style besides that.

It's just her suit in particular, it's such a ridiculous oversight. And even in the handful instances where they do draw the hoops, they haven't drawn the rear sides of them. I learned about this entire IP a day ago so I shouldn't care the slightest but come on what the fuck

1 hour ago, ThunderKeil said:

Untitled8766666666666666a2.png.e5ce92e43b30024a20a5bf2445775cc0.png

It's just her suit in particular, it's such a ridiculous oversight. And even in the handful instances where they do draw the hoops, they haven't drawn the rear sides of them. I learned about this entire IP a day ago so I shouldn't care the slightest but come on what the fuck

I get your point but it’s barely visible most times, for the instances where it’s close up like you linked, it’s a matter of visual clarity, you would understand even less with the back part of the loops

28 minutes ago, Radu said:

I only watched the first Dragon Ball series.

comparing the animation quality in this to Invincible, this thirty year old show... fucking owned.

I remember watching Dragonball VHS tapes as a kid, because it leapt off the Blockbuster shelves like nothing else. It was just right there in a league of its own. But I think DBZ had a more epic narrative arc and I don't think there's a teenager or young person on earth that wouldn't get swept into that formula, there's a reason it's so popular. I don't think I would go back and watch it as an adult though because it wastes an astonishing amount of time. It's so poorly edited that everything else it does well becomes irrelevant. Maybe that's what Invincible is trying to do, just edit DBZ to be watchable, but I think plenty of youtubers have done that already.

7 hours ago, FMPONE said:

comparing the animation quality in this to Invincible, this thirty year old show... fucking owned.

I remember watching Dragonball VHS tapes as a kid, because it leapt off the Blockbuster shelves like nothing else. It was just right there in a league of its own. But I think DBZ had a more epic narrative arc and I don't think there's a teenager or young person on earth that wouldn't get swept into that formula, there's a reason it's so popular. I don't think I would go back and watch it as an adult though because it wastes an astonishing amount of time. It's so poorly edited that everything else it does well becomes irrelevant. Maybe that's what Invincible is trying to do, just edit DBZ to be watchable, but I think plenty of youtubers have done that already.

Look up Dragon Ball Z Kai, it's an official recut/remaster with all the fluff removed. The pacing is soooo much better :)

DBZ is even more watchable now than before imo. It made me appreciate how it's such a deep and consistent world!