dux

What have you watched recently?

Just saw Child’s Play. It hasn’t been getting good reviews but I left the theatre smiling wide, it’s really really fun. Mark Hamill was having a blast playing Chucky

Looking after a newborn doesn’t let you do much more than watch lot of TV…

Well at least I’m caught up with Better Call Saul, Season 4 was again great and I kinda feel this is the best ongoing show on TV.

I adore the camera work, I think it really helps to lean in with the characters feelings. They also do this very basic tricks of framing details that can bring you back one-two seasons, for example one of the last episodes they use the rule of thirds to frame a litter bin Jimmy kicked in previous seasons: the bin is still dinked and you immediately remember of that old scene. Brilliant 👌🏼 

If you are not watching this you should, especially after watching Breaking Bad, because watching the downfall you know these characters face is such a neat narration device. When the TV show was announced this concept was my biggest concern, it’s actually its strength.

~

Also finally ticked this off the list

cheesy AF lol

Seems fitting for this thread.

“Most of modern life; all our diseases are diseases of abundance, not diseases of scarcity. In the old times we starved. In the old times, if I got sugar, that was a wonderful thing, I should've eaten all the sugar I could get my hands on. If I got a piece of news or gossip, that was interesting data that would've helped my life and moved me forward. If I've gotten some brief amount of entertainment, whether through video games or magazines or whatever, that would've been good. Now it's all diseases of abundance. We're overexposed to everything. So the way to survive in modern society is to be an ascetic. It is to retreat from society. There's too much society everywhere you go. Society in your phone, society in your pockets, society in your ears, you're being socialized right now by listening to this podcast; we're socializing you, we're programming you. Everyone's trying to program everybody. The only solution is to turn it off.” —Naval Ravikant

Edited by ChA1NsAw

Watching Evangelion for the first time on Netflix.

Yikes... some parts of this look good (mechs, architecture) but the animation is kind of hit or miss especially the characters. And the writing, not sure if it’s the translation or the dub, this is not a well written show at all. Overall four episodes in this feels like a slog; going to try to drag my way through it because the mechanical designs and the UI design are so cool.

On 6/25/2019 at 3:36 PM, FMPONE said:

Yikes... some parts of this look good (mechs, architecture) but the animation is kind of hit or miss especially the characters. And the writing, not sure if it’s the translation or the dub, this is not a well written show at all. Overall four episodes in this feels like a slog; going to try to drag my way through it because the mechanical designs and the UI design are so cool.

Ok I’m like 18 episodes in and I regret anything negative I ever said about this show. It is, hands down, the most batshit crazy piece of media I think I’ve ever consumed. Absolutely mind-melting in every way. My brain is liquified and pouring out of my ears at how profoundly stupid this show is and yet I cannot get enough

WOW 

On 6/25/2019 at 12:36 PM, FMPONE said:

...And the writing, not sure if it’s the translation or the dub, this is not a well written show at all. 

Saving this for posterity :lol:

The new movies are incredible too, some of the best art I've ever seen on an anime. The whole show just works on so many levels...so much symbolism it affects me on a subconscious level.

20 hours ago, Minos said:

Saving this for posterity :lol:

The new movies are incredible too, some of the best art I've ever seen on an anime. The whole show just works on so many levels...so much symbolism it affects me on a subconscious level.

I'm really excited to dig into the rest of the series now! It's not perfect, but when something is truly weird, I love it, because most art can't get made if it crosses a certain weirdness threshold, and boy does this ever cross that threshold.

edit: finished it. yeah, that shit will rip your heart out! brutal stuff. looking forward to watching the movies to get a real sense of how it ends.