dux

What have you watched recently?

y2GKbeb.jpg

I can't believe this movie is 30 years old. The last time I've seen it is over 14 years ago and I had to rent it on VHS. I've seen it hundreds of times growing up and last night I watched it again on Netflix. After all these decades it still holds a special place in my heart. Sure, the effects are dated, some of dialog and acting are corny but overall it remains an adventure worth experiencing. Now, I was also finally able to pick up on its message about losing your sense of imagination when growing up. Which is so true, because when you get older your heart dies a little and that innocence is lost.

I said it's too stretched that Gandalf drops in Bilbo and force him in the adventure without no reason: is not like they had other adventures before and he could rely on him, Bilbo barely remembers the wizard!

That's because he knows what Hobbits are capable of. It's the same reason Frodo is chosen in LOTR to be the Ring Bearer. No that's totally different, was kinda a forced choice since the ring was already in their family/house, also he knows the family at that moment and I think it's logic to say he can trust Frodo.

Anyway I have to admit that lot of things make sense at the end of the trilogy, and in light of The Hobbit being a kids book, the thing about the "dragon sickness" is educational, if you know what I mean.

No that's totally different, was kinda a forced choice since the ring was already in their family/house, also he knows the family at that moment and I think it's logic to say he can trust Frodo.

I disagree. Just because it's there and he knows them doesn't automatically guarantee that Frodo would be a good ring bearer or that he can't withstand the power of the precious. No, Gandalf is old and wise and I believe that he does things for a reason. Hence, asking Bilbo was a calculated move on his part or so I reckon. 

No that's totally different, was kinda a forced choice since the ring was already in their family/house, also he knows the family at that moment and I think it's logic to say he can trust Frodo.

I disagree. Just because it's there and he knows them doesn't automatically guarantee that Frodo would be a good ring bearer or that he can't withstand the power of the precious. No, Gandalf is old and wise and I believe that he does things for a reason. Hence, asking Bilbo was a calculated move on his part or so I reckon. 

I agree, but in the movie there is no background to confirm that, it appears as a random choice, hence the movie is faulty. If the original story is the same, then the premise of the story is faulty. I think it's objective.

I agree, but in the movie there is no background to confirm that, it appears as a random choice, hence the movie is faulty. If the original story is the same, then the premise of the story is faulty. I think it's objective.

Fair enough :)

The 3rd Hobbit film ;/, and I don't recommend it. It ruined the the whole thing for me. No focus, everything was Convenient, no urgency in the movie at all. To much use of CG. I don't understand all the war/battle scenes in this one. It felt as if they tried to hard to be LOTR, they can never live up to LOTR, and every fight felt like a comic rather than good fight choreography. The movie was all over the place and didn't focus on much of the main characters.  It had its good moments of course, but overall, I would never watch it again.

The 3rd Hobbit film ;/, and I don't recommend it. It ruined the the whole thing for me. No focus, everything was Convenient, no urgency in the movie at all.

Just like the other movies :) wanna talk about the barrel scene? Statue of gold? Goblins caves? What wasn't convenient and unsurprising in these movies, even by people who didn't read the book.

~

Just watched this tho, and I must say I'm making peace with Gandalf and the deliberateness of his actions

http://youtu.be/YxgsxaFWWHQ

Which just confirms what I did say after not liking Donnie Darko: some movies require background knowledge and since you can't assume people to have it, you have to find a way to explain the audience some basics (or the movie can't be defined "good").

I'm finding waaay more interesting this video than the whole new trilogy: wouldn't be much more interesting depicting the whole creation of Middle Earth, with the conflict of the fallen angel and everything, be more interesting than the Hobbit? Seems there's shitload of material for a good movie…

Edited by blackdog

Watched this just recently, really cool cinematography and landscapes, a really gorgeous film; I would recommend it

'The Fall'

MV5BMjAzODUwMjM1M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjU2

Watched Big Hero 6 recently as well, liked the environments of San Fransokyo, really good animation, would recommend that as well.

'Big Hero 6'

MV5BMjI4MTIzODU2NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMjE0

Homeland episode 12:

What the fuck.. all that and the last episode is 45 minutes or nothing of any significance happening whatsoever, apart from a really shady plot device which is the obvious setup for Season 5.. I wanted to switch it off midway, I was so bored!

The Maze Runner is so bad... SO BAD! Seriously guys... WTF. Divergent looks like a masterpiece next to this. The premise is incredibly far fetched and ridiculous... Give anyone 5 minutes to figure out a better backstory and I guarantee that no on will have a problem coming up with a better idea for why they're in that maze...

Predestination was pretty awesome. It's a bit predictable if you've seen time travel movies before cos the mechanics are the same but there's some good twists on the classic formula! Definitely recommend this one.