dux

What have you watched recently?

Is it really that good?

Too bad it's supposed to be an anthology meaning the next season will have different actors.

Too bad it's supposed to be an anthology meaning the next season will have different actors.

Didn't know that! :o

But hey, certainly they won't go cheap.

Maybe they'll change the plans but it was originally written as an anthology. 

Oh man, the Eric Andre show is hilarious. That where I posted this gif from in the hahaha thread 

iyVoRRzM8DjNp.gif

My guess is it's one of those shows that either people find fucking hilarious or not funny at all. I'm from the former side.

Here's some clips

Edited by AlexM

Watched 300: Rise of a Nation.

It was basically 300 on boats. Enjoyable spectacle, light on the plot. If you liked the first one,  this is basically the same movie with a three minute angry sex scene. Which was kind of awkward to watch with my wife next to me...

Edited by MrSkellyBones

I thought it was great honestly. The battle scene choreography was excellent, the subtle war between the leaders (which manifests especially in the control over who actually fucks who in the sex scene). Well played protagonist and main antagonist, well fleshed out story of how Xerxes came to be. It's far from the same movie IMO, it shows much more appreciation for subtlety and the intricacies of war politics while still showing the brutality of war in practice.

Well worth seeing, and a worthy successor to the first.

True detective was a blast, great series overall. I cannot recommend this enough.

Watched Stalingrad (2013) yesterday, despite not being a great movie, it looks gorgeous and its quite fun to watch.

It's something like 300, but in Stalingrad during the ww2.

http://youtu.be/bOQnAsHLg5M

I watched The Fifth Element for the first time in years. I totally forgot how fucking cool this movie is. It's such a joyride. Also, Chris Tucker is amazing in this movie. Enjoy:

I thought it was great honestly. The battle scene choreography was excellent, the subtle war between the leaders (which manifests especially in the control over who actually fucks who in the sex scene). Well played protagonist and main antagonist, well fleshed out story of how Xerxes came to be. It's far from the same movie IMO, it shows much more appreciation for subtlety and the intricacies of war politics while still showing the brutality of war in practice.

Well worth seeing, and a worthy successor to the first.

I guess I didn't mean to come across quite so sardonic but let me throw in my 2 cents (lots of spoilers... sorta).

Both movies begin with the origin of a king. The first about Leonidas, the second Xerxes. With the threat of war looming, both protagonist try to rally an army but are met with some kind of resistance to waring with Xerxes forces. Without other options they take a much smaller force to set a defense and are challenged by waves of enemy attackers, and included in said force is the protagonist best friend and son (over whom there is a debate to whether or not he is ready to fight). However, by implementing superior tactics they overcome the onslaught of enemies and gain victory in battle a few times. After losing several men and a couple of commanders (including executing one of the failed commanders themselves), the antagonist summons the protagonist to try and come to some kind of peaceful agreement that entails servitude as a general. It doesn't work. Infuriated the antagonist sends out a massive force which finally causes the protagonist and his force to take a number of casualties, and ends the father/son relationship by killing one of them off. Without any other options the protagonist sets out on a suicide mission in order to defeat the antagonist by their own hand. In the end the Persian army is faced with a united army formed be several of the city states who have finally come to an alliance.

I think that pretty well sums up the "samyness" of the two movies. There's definitely intricacies there, particularly in the politics, but the plot does run a very similar overarching course.

Like I said. I enjoyed both films but because of how the overarching plot flows, that really isn't that surprising.

Edited by MrSkellyBones