dux

What have you watched recently?

So I watched "The Man of Tai Chi" today. If you've never heard of it, it came out last year and is Keanu Reeves directorial debut. The whole thing is a bit of a mishmash but I want to speak on the good bits first.

First off a first time directed film, Keanu has done a pretty good job. There's nothing to extravagant here as it was fairly low budget but the acting all around was fine (most of the movie isn't in English), the main character is an accomplished martial artist and it shows in several of the films well choreographed battles, it's very well paced considering its length and it's always fun to watch Keanu to play a bad guy. The overall story has tons of classic kung fu film tropes, particularly the personification of Yin and Yang in the antagonist and protagonists teacher. There are a LOT of fights but it isn't wall to wall none stop combat in the one hour forty-five minute run time. They find the time to actually focus on the plot and there are a few more elements involved than your typical kung fu flick because of it. Finally, the cinematography is very well done. I don't know whether or not Keanu had much to do with that but it was noticeable and unexpected. Some of the timelapses in particular that also transition from one city to another at the same time were very nice.

Now of the not so good bits. While the action was great most of the time, some of the fights feel a little too random and long. Some of the grappling and throws are attempting to be showy but when there isn't wirework involved they end up looking flat. One fight in particular looked pretty bad due to having a portion of it either filmed in strobe lights, or altered in post (the saner, more expensive solution because can you imagine fighting when your only light source is constantly blinking on and off?). As I mentioned before Keanu is half of the Yin Yang dynamic in the film, and as the antagonist, that means he's pretty much flat out, 104% pure evil (don't question my math). That means he also gets some pretty cringe worthy one liners. I can somewhat forgive this because I suspect the movies core audience was meant to be Hong Kong cinema goers who likely don't speak English, and not some netflix client. Keanu is also looking his age for once, which kind of scared me until I realized that was a 50 year old man performing flying ninja kicks across the screen. He doesn't act his age.

So there's my report for you fine mapcore folks. All and all I really enjoyed the film. If you've been pining to see Keanu do some kung fu since the Matrix films ended, or you just want a decent martial art's film to pass the time with then I'd say give The Man of Tai Chi a go. It isn't perfect by a mile, but it's enjoyable, pretty well made and you could do worse things with your time.

Edited by MrSkellyBones

If you think Ziggy is annoying watch generation kill

Clearly the best thing to do when you're annoyed with a character is to watch even more annoying characters.

Although I have a hard time thinking that Ziggy is more annoying than Peggy from King of the Hill. Never have I wanted to punch a screen so hard.

I just come back from the cinema. YOU HAVE TO SEE THE LEGO MOVIE! It's completly awesome! 

Seriously, there are lots of jokes on LEGO consumers, on the way to use LEGO, on movies, on different franchises. I think it's not really a movie for kids even if it looks cut and if it's from Lego. There are lots of things that kids can't understand. I was in a cinema with many kids and I was the only one laughing like an idiot on jokes with Lego plans and Lego state of mind. And God knows I'm laughing loud. So, ok it looks cut and fun, but kids can just get 30% of the movie's content. 

If you like Lego, you really have to see this movie. 

It should be really crazy in 3D. 

I watched Captain Phillips yesterday. I didn't expect a lot of it even though Tom Hanks, who's always great, was in it. But I was in for a treat. It's a really good thriller. The suspense is handled well and before you know it, the movie is over. Something you should definitively see.

House Of Cards s2e1. Dat moment when Kevin Spacey breaks the fourth wall... and i wasn't expecting at all what happened in the metro.

Been watching Special Ops MIssions lately.

Sounds like a great feed. Wonder where i could get to stream it :( Edited by blackdog

House Of Cards s2e1. Dat moment when Kevin Spacey breaks the fourth wall... and i wasn't expecting at all what happened in the metro.

Been watching Special Ops MIssions lately.

Sounds like a great feed. Wonder where i could get to stream it :(

Yeah compared to the trailers and previews for season 2 it seemed she would spend most of her time this season investigating the stuff that happened in season 1. A great way to get the viewers off guard, not knowing what will happen next

"Le Gendarme" comedy films of the great late Louis de Funès starting with "Le gendarme de Saint-Tropez" in 1964 to the last one (6th) "Le gendarme et les gendarmettes" in 1982.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le_Gendarme_de_Saint-Tropez

Le_gendarme_de_St._Tropez.jpg

Watched them as a kid in the mid 80s, and had a blast and a good laugh revisiting them now :)

Started watching The Americans, a show taking place in the 80s about two KGB spies living as married couple with kids in America, and I've pretty much blown through all of the first season in a few days and waiting for the next episode of season 2. Good stuff so far~~