dux

What have you watched recently?

Only God Forgives - An apt title, because only God could forgive such a terrible film.

The plot is all over the place. The acting is largely non-existent, I didn't think it was possible for Gosling to say/do even less than his character in Drive but I was proven wrong. The dialogue sounds like it was written on the day of filming "He killed a 16 year old girl" "Well I'm sure he had his reasons" ....really? Some characters are just utterly pointless, like the Thai girl hooker, stripper, dancer... Hell she could have been a arabic teacher for all I knew... she was just so completely pointless.

Even the nice cinematography, lighting and soundtrack can't save this fetid mess, leave well alone! Watch Drive and remember how Refn was once a pretty decent director...

Looper

I'd say I was surprised, because it wasn't as I expected it to be, but not in the way you are happy to be surprised.

It's nice, but i'd describe it for all the thing this movie is not, like: "it's not one of those movies that hook you up for days on the time travelling shit", or, "it's not an action movie". It has sci-fi elements, but they don't delve into that too.

It's a gangster movie, but not very memorable.

It has left me with the feeling I can describe with a motto from Feng Zhu (the concept artist): "people do not easily latch to purposely weird stuff".

Edited by blackdog

This movie is probably underrated, ton of fun, I enjoyed it a lot... the movie I enjoyed the most recently i'd even say.

then at the end I felt bad remembering I laughed loud about how some people died for real.

Edited by blackdog

I watched the village, looper and ratatouille.

Village was ok, I guess, weird plot twist at the end. Somehow I'd think the moral of the story is the message of M.N.Shyamalan's work in general... also arguably why people are so mixed about it.

Looper's premise was excellent really, it's written and told like a noir story of the future in the best possible way. A little too heavy on the abnormalities perhaps which kind of struck out, but that's a minor thing compared to the rest.

Ratatouille... I don't think I've seen a better Pixar movie. EDIT: I feel I should add to this. Normally when I watch movies or series on my computer, I usually do other stuff simultaneously, so it's kind of idling in the background. I don't really do it because I want to work or do other stuff, mostly the movie is just hitting that boredom threshold where I can actually do other stuff while not being concerned about most stuff in it. I attempted the same here... and it just wasn't possible. It was actually exciting, and that is not something that happens every day.

Edited by Sentura

This movie is probably underrated, ton of fun, I enjoyed it a lot... the movie I enjoyed the most recently i'd even say.

then at the end I felt bad remembering I laughed loud about how some people died for real.

I know it's a Bay-movie and all, but that trailer is fun. I'll check it out!

On a different note I watched Oblivion the other day. I turned it off when it was becoming

a bad copy of "Moon"

:sad:

27852.jpg

Just finished Campus - Never saw it originally, really funny. If only they had made a second series...

0266.jpg

And just started watching Angelic Layer again, absolutely classic.

I know it's a Bay-movie and all, but that trailer is fun. I'll check it out!

On a different note I watched Oblivion the other day. I turned it off when it was becoming

a bad copy of "Moon"

:sad:

Yeah, i suggest you do so; probably I liked it because my expectations were so low... it wasn't even in my watchlist!

Oblivion on the opposite, is one of the recent movies i've seen and definitely underperformed and actually irritated me.

Not that I was expecting the definitive sci-fi movie (the trailer took away any illusion as soon as Freeman came up on screen), but the script rips off from too many other movies. I was tempted too to cut it at the same point as you, I would have been spared by the

"2010" and "Independence Day"

rip-off scenes toward the end.

I also think Freeman is dressed up like the early concepts of Eli Vance (HL2) so the movie overall feels like everything as been seen already. Even the weapons and the logo... and the narrative inception are very close to Bungie's Destiny!

I was also disturbed by the fact even considering the city to be leveled/Earth to be terraformed... NY landmarks are scattered in a way that doesn't seem to make sense: "ok put a piece of The Statue there, so those dumbasses understand this is NY".

And don't get me started about some plot absurdities...

End Of Watch

I don't remember which trailer I saw at the time I put it on watchlist, I'm not linking any because they may be deceptive.

I randomly picked it up from my list after ignoring it since it was first advertised and liked it a lot, I really suggest it.

url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&docid=3HwnBxU

Edited by blackdog

I caught up on the last few episodes of Under The Dome the past few days. Shit is getting weird. So much dumb stuff happens which doesn't need to though.

Like the big truck destroying the water tower. Why the fuck was someone driving a big truck round in the first place. What does he need to transport when trapped inside a huge bloody dome?

:P

2 Guns - Pretty decent flick, entertaining and comical. Washington and Wahlberg as the leads have good chemistry.

Special highlight was Paula Patton nude, God that woman has an AMAZING body...

Clear History 

Larry David's new movie. A few funny scenes, but not a very good film, shot like a TV show and doesn't really amount to much in the end. Episodes of Curb end up having a better pay off because of the 30 min time frame and focus where this just feels elongated because it's a feature so it needs to be more than 75 minutes. Waste of a pretty good cast too. Just feels like a bunch of loosely connected sketches cut together with a very thin plot.

I had the same feeling watching In The Loop, just felt like a 2 hour episode of television, not a movie. But that was at least coherent and consistently funny. 

DAT NORTHWEST T_T

and bacon donuts? lol.

I like this car channel, they actually do show more points of interest than the car itself in those "Epic Drives" episodes.

Edited by blackdog

End Of Watch

I don't remember which trailer I saw at the time I put it on watchlist, I'm not linking any because they may be deceptive.

I randomly picked it up from my list after ignoring it since it was first advertised and liked it a lot, I really suggest it.

I watched end of watch on netflix a few days ago, totally at random, and loved it. I knew nothing about it and was expecting a standard action cop movie but it was really, really good.