What have you watched recently?

dux

Watching Evangelion for the first time on Netflix.

Yikes... some parts of this look good (mechs, architecture) but the animation is kind of hit or miss especially the characters. And the writing, not sure if it’s the translation or the dub, this is not a well written show at all. Overall four episodes in this feels like a slog; going to try to drag my way through it because the mechanical designs and the UI design are so cool.

On 6/25/2019 at 3:36 PM, FMPONE said:

Yikes... some parts of this look good (mechs, architecture) but the animation is kind of hit or miss especially the characters. And the writing, not sure if it’s the translation or the dub, this is not a well written show at all. Overall four episodes in this feels like a slog; going to try to drag my way through it because the mechanical designs and the UI design are so cool.

Ok I’m like 18 episodes in and I regret anything negative I ever said about this show. It is, hands down, the most batshit crazy piece of media I think I’ve ever consumed. Absolutely mind-melting in every way. My brain is liquified and pouring out of my ears at how profoundly stupid this show is and yet I cannot get enough

WOW 

On 6/25/2019 at 12:36 PM, FMPONE said:

...And the writing, not sure if it’s the translation or the dub, this is not a well written show at all. 

Saving this for posterity :lol:

The new movies are incredible too, some of the best art I've ever seen on an anime. The whole show just works on so many levels...so much symbolism it affects me on a subconscious level.

20 hours ago, Minos said:

Saving this for posterity :lol:

The new movies are incredible too, some of the best art I've ever seen on an anime. The whole show just works on so many levels...so much symbolism it affects me on a subconscious level.

I'm really excited to dig into the rest of the series now! It's not perfect, but when something is truly weird, I love it, because most art can't get made if it crosses a certain weirdness threshold, and boy does this ever cross that threshold.

edit: finished it. yeah, that shit will rip your heart out! brutal stuff. looking forward to watching the movies to get a real sense of how it ends.

• 1 month later...

Since I now for some reason only watch animez I thought I’d rewatch Akira and Ghost in the Shell. I’d give them both about a 7-8 but what is interesting is how the films mirror each other. Akira was so kinetic and frenetic and smooth like water, whereas GITS felt really restrained and subdued. They both have these moments of insane violence, but it quickly fades into calm. It’s obvious that both cost a gazillion dollars to make (Akira especially just seems preposterously extravagant, every fucking frame and scene is a work of art). I didn’t really think the character designs in either fully worked for me, in Akira everybody looks the same and a little bit like a pig, in GITS everybody has these weirdo eye designs, but that’s actually kinda cool at the same time. 

I can see myself watching them again and again because there’s so much visual detail in both.

I remember first seeing/hearing of AKIRA from some old comic a friend gave to me when i ws young and still remember first seeing that film, the art was brilliant but also the music within the film was incredible! im not a big anime film fan (probably due to the lack of watching any) and can count the number of anime films iv watched with both hands but aside from the lone wolf n cub books & ninja scroll film i read and watched years ago ... akira was something special.
evangelion looks good though, maybe about time to get myself into watching some anime, i do love art ?

Heres also a couple of things iv watched recently (youtube adventuring^^) = it really is a mad and interesting world

(this is a gd few years old and the guy has since been working with university's to try and help venom victims)

fek knows but watching atm^^ (further down the youtube hole)

I've been watching GITS Stand Alone Complex 2nd Gig (found the bluray on Walmart for a really good price). Some episodes are a bit of a drag to watch, but the ones who are really amazing totally make up for it. Sometimes I'm thinking for days about some episode. I love consistent the universe and the characters are, how the music, humor and everything just mesh so well together to create something truly unique. I can't get sick of watching this intro :D

And the music! Yoko Kanno is a genius.

23 minutes ago, Radu said:

Since everyone is talking about anime lately here, have some kenshiro for maximum satisfaction

I discussed Fist of the North Star with colleagues couple weeks ago! I never watched it properly, as a kid I wasn’t into it… but is funny to see the generational disconnect of all these anime that I’ve seen or know from my youth, and ten years younger people that are/were into a new set of shows.

Also distribution of anime seems to be so different between UK and Italy. In Italy they were all considered kids stuff, they would dub and censor the explicit bits