Sign in to follow this  
KungFuSquirrel

THE CUBE CHALLENGE: Rules and discussion

Making a deathmatch map in the UDK. I wanted a more asymmetrical design with multiple elevations. Here's where I'm at so far.

[attachment=3]Highres_Screenshot_00002.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=2]Highres_Screenshot_00005.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=1]Highres_Screenshot_00006.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=0]Highres_Screenshot_00007.jpg[/attachment]

Let me know what you guys think. Gotta get this finished up by Friday so I can submit before the weekend.

Looks absolutely lovely. Dark region below looks a little too dark and monotone to me but otherwise I can't really fault it. Looks like a fun little space to play in to boot. Great job!

Also impressed by Andrew's Prey map. I only played the (generous, IIRC) demo of Prey which did have a couple of gravity switching moments, but this looks like quite the headfuck and should be really interesting in multiplayer.

Keep it up everyone, some very interesting looking projects coming outta this by the looks of it!

Yeah, the bottom-most area of the map is the area which I think still needs the most attention. There's still some pretty dark corridors that the bounce light isn't getting to, gotta drop in some lights to brighten it up.

Well, I didn't end up posting any shots while this was still WIP, but here's a final screenshot of my entry "Escherisch" (HL2ep2).

What began as an experiment with spaces that would seem larger than 1024x1024 ended up as a small maze-like village with nonlinear connections between areas (for example, you can get to the top of the tower, but the stairs up inside it lead somwehere other than there), and a section of the map that appears to be outside the 1024^3 cube, but isn't.

I was very early constrained by not being able to get lightmaps to appear continuous at the odd connections, which led me to forgo actual lighting and instead experiment visually with strong shapes and tonal contrast. The result is not going to blow anyone away, but it's quite distinctive.

[attachment=0]escherisch0002.jpg[/attachment]

I have a shitty bug in my cube since yesterday and I donc know from what because hamme doen't show me any error messages...

hard to finish for tomorrow... :ubermad:

Edit : Ok I found the problem when I saw vrad using 1.5 go... all lightmap scale in hammer was on 4 :-D