hessi

Random Photo Thread

Lovely photos, agree that the noise needs some work though. Noise in itself isn't a problem and lends a cinematic feel to a picture, but it looks a little too much like the default Photoshop noise filter which isn't particularly realistic as far as the film grain look you're probably pursuing goes.

There is actually a film grain filter elsewhere in Photoshop I recall, but what I usually do is use the noise filter on a new/copied layer at 100% (so it's completely black and white), then use gaussian blur to soften it a bit like real film grain rather than being all hard. Then I'll set the layer mode to colour burn, as real noise doesn't really affect highlights — the noise is essentially the camera failing to pick up detail in darker areas.

Moderation is the last thing to be wary of. Your noise probably wouldn't look too OTT if it weren't so intense. :)

haha, sorry, that only happened after downscaling. i hate sharpening in downscaled pictures, so I have some presets that apply a noise pattern before I downsample them. I didn't bother to check the pics at a hundred percent scale though :D

lesson learned!

was messing about with a 32 bit hdr tiff setup in lightroom - pretty neat you can do it without photoshop or another stand alone app - used a plugin from hdrsoft ^^

8315671302_b1be09ee12_h.jpg

Edited by 2d-chris