What are you playing now?

Sentura

Usually if the attack uses upper body it's the punch buttons, otherwise it's kicks. The motion itself usually matches the animation in some way, so fireballs brings his hands forwards, hurricane kick spin backwards, dragon punches duck down and spring, etc.

There are exceptions, of course, and some are stupid. Mainly on Ultra 2's where the existing ultra motion is already taken.

so basically you're saying there's no reason there should be any specific button input for any ultra?

i just returned from a session, and while i remember, let me list and rebut things that are just bad design choices:

- frame based moves instead of time based

- controller movements (ultra or non ultra) that are too much alike (trying to make one will chance that might make the other)

- cancelling into and out of pretty much every move with no cooldown (fadc or just dc), making long combos inevitable. it's especially possible on people who have just gotten up.

- grab length not the same for all characters (i could overlook this if there was a grab priority so that grabs could cancel out easier)

- difficult controller movement that requires years of mastery (maybe you friend can do it fine and the sixaxis isn't the worst controller for ssfiv, but that doesn't mean it's good enough)

- ultras/supers differ on each character for no good reason (it's basically negated if the other ultra doesn't follow the same goddamn rules)

- ranged battles that have little reason to exist except on maybe 1 character.

- anti air moves ALSO work on the ground, making them the definite choice of move rather than have various defenses for various actions

- bad hit boxes on some moves/hits where it doesn't make sense (ties in with grab range)

- backdash does not have priority over attack moves

in addition to that, you said there were 47 different moves that ryu or whoever could do from neutral position. do me a favor and check the moves list for every goddamn tekken character in the newer ones, and tell me if there's more or less than 47. also explain to me why tekken can do combos simpler (pretty much follow what i said) while street fighter insists on being a relic of the past with its arcade centered controls.

every time i play this game, i'm getting more and more pissed that these simple goddamn things aren't in place.

Kinda all over the place at the moment.

Playing Child of Eden with Kinect, pretty good fun but fairly hard as well. My arms hurt.

Dead Nation on PSN, excellent top-down zombie shooter, one of the best downloadable games I've played in a while.

DiRT 3, brilliant game!

Witcher 2 is good, but I'm having a real hard time pulling myself together and playing it at the moment.

Still playing Swords & Sworcery on the iPhone once in a while, slowly creeping through it.

Then I finished Infamous 2 last week, excellent game, one of my favorites so far this year.

Plus playing through L.A. Noire again, and planning on checking out the DLC when I'm done.

Also looking forward to Trenched, hope they finally decide to release it in Europe sometime soon :)

I really don’t want to do a line by line quote but you need to understand that 2D fighting games are a completely different beast to 3D fighters. Tekken having more moves is entirely beside the point, which was Ryu can reach them all from neutral. If, as an example, I have to press 1, 2, 1 to do the move I want, that wasn't from neutral, it was from 1, 2. This is a massive distinction because 2D fighters are all about range, zoning, controlling space, foosties, etc.

Trying to land cool combos or pull off clutch ultra is not playing a 2D fighter. These elements need to remain entirely intact in any solution to the supposed problem of motion inputs. There’s a massive guide on footsies here. Hands down the best way you’ll improve at these games.

http://sonichurricane.com/?page_id=1702

But to go through some points:

• [*:n6b8d5nv]Most Ultras are bigger versions of existing moves so it makes more sense to me if they are a repeat of that motion twice with all buttons than some universal input (especially given characters like Gen, Oni, Sakura, Blanka, etc.). The stupid exceptions are things like Ryu’s Shoryuken (DP+P) in Ultra form gets a motion like QCF, QCF+KKK.
    [*:n6b8d5nv]I don’t get your point about frames versus time. People use frames to measure time? Confused.
    [*:n6b8d5nv]There's no point doing long combos in Street Fighter 4 because each move scales damage by 10% and moves like Ultras and FADC (which takes half your super bar) scale by 20%. The exception is Yun's V-ism bullshit, which is why he's top tier.
    [*:n6b8d5nv]FADC takes half your super bar so it doesn’t need a cooldown. The juggle system means nobody can be juggled forever. Unless it’s Yun...
    [*:n6b8d5nv]When I first started playing SF4 I got blown up repeatedly by an old school Alpha player who never did any combo more complicated than a normal into special. I still don’t think I could beat him.
    [*:n6b8d5nv]There is 'grab priority' in that if you both enter a normal throw nobody gets thrown. Special throws can't be escaped.
    [*:n6b8d5nv]It doesn’t take a year to learn how to do a motion properly.

Sentura/Taylor: :stfu:

trolled1.png

Okay, I will do this.

I wish Pandemic was still around, then they could just blend what worked from those three games and have something amazing.

Mercs 1:

Good - Airstrikes!!!! High value targets with a backstory, more than just generic dudes. Wide variety of terrains and climates, easily buying weapons on the go (don't have to drive halfway across the map to get the airstrikes you want), larger number of remote/GPS guided airstrikes, ammo restocking for vehicles (or just infinite vehicle ammo ala Just Cause 2) Story was a little more serious (personal preference there)

Bad - Way too easy to die kept me from trying crazy stuff, too few checkpoints for most missions, driving felt terrible.

Mercs 2:

Good - Grappling hook for helicopters, more factions, being able to collect airstrikes from the world (with a wider variety of collectible airstrikes)

Bad - Strikes were even more difficult to use than in Mercs 1, took more than eight clicks just to swap in another airstrike. Just a simple UI tweak here, just one button to bring up list of strikes, another click to choose, then use the strike. Custom vehicles were almost worthless since ammo was limited and couldn't be replenished. Buying strikes required driving all over the map, was a huge pain. Soldier chatter was terrible and repetitive.

Saboteur:

Good - Wall/building climbing, being able to call in troops to help you at any time, being able to take ridiculous amounts of damage, more dynamic events (battles you can stumble into, being able to save civilians from Nazi patrols), rewards for destroying structures. Hand to hand combat was greatly improved, stealth that worked.

Bad - Missions tended to be more drive person a to point b (with some notable exceptions, standouts including stealing a bottle of champagne and the blimp mission)

Other fixes: Better QA (Mercs 2 had some atrocious bugs), fix vehicle handling (felt like very heavy slot cars, slightly better in Saboteur)

Just Cause 2 hits some of those points, but I like the working with factions, airstrikes, and more military trapping of Mercs. Just felt like there was so much more that could be done with the hiring a mercenary crew in Mercs 2.

chrono_trigger1.jpgff91.jpg

Started playing Final Fantasy 9 in an attempt to clear some RPGs from my backlog. After about 15 hours in I decided to quit and start Chrono Trigger instead (another RPG I had heard endless praise about). The gameplay pacing/progression in FF9 was just unbearable for me. Even after 15 hours it still felt like I was just doing the same thing without actually having learned anything. There were several things I enjoyed in ff9, like the atmosphere, world design, characters and not just the individual development but also how they related to each other. Still, the game felt so crippled by the pacing I simply couldn't tolerate it any longer. It reminded me of how I'm able to enjoy mediocre Star Wars-books just because I have an insatiable appetite for star wars lore, while everyone else would probably get sick of it.

Chrono Trigger, on the other hand, I simply could not put down. The combat system is one of the best I've seen in a RPG. The depth of the strategic and tactical opportunities you're given made me cherish every single battle in the game. If there was a FF9:CT fun-ratio for these playthroughs then CT would dominate completely. I know Chrono Trigger is considered by many as one of the best RPGs, but what bothers me is not how much better Chrono Trigger was, but how shitty final fantasy 9 felt. I really wanted to like it.

"final fantasy gets better x hours in". i'm not going to invest tens of hours before I can get to the fun part, then I might as well play world of warcraft.

Finally got around and bought Beyond good and evil on PSN. Awesome stuff.

A lot of typical Nintendo:ish designs when it comes to the puzzles and mechanics, not as ultra tight but it feels so much more fresh than anything Nintendo has put out since the n64-era.

It's been on my to play-list for ages, really great stuff :v

bloodyoldschool1.jpg

bloodyoldschool2.jpg

bloodyoldschool3.jpg

bloodyoldschool4.jpg

bloodyoldschool5.jpg

bloodyoldschool6.jpg

bloodyoldschool7.jpg

bloodyoldschool8.jpg

bloodyoldschool9.jpg

bloodyoldschool10.jpg

bloodyoldschool11.jpg

bloodyoldschool12.jpg

Old-school ftw.. I realised that I hadn't played this gem since 2006. Flawed masterpiece imho and has an atmosphere like no other game... things just happen and it makes no sense, random to the max.

Caleb > Duke Nukem....forever! Geddit?!!

...I'll get my coat.