What are you playing now?

They experimented with more interesting encounters and faster pace in their spinoff, American Nightmare. As for the sequel, they got the publishing rights back and had been working on ideas for it. Those ideas evolved into Control, but Sam Lake has mentioned in an interview that they are ready and willing ;)

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Planet Coaster, I'm addicted, check out my park    

im fucking serious your opinions make me sick

Been playing so much over the last couple of weeks, so here's an opinion bomb:   Call of Juarez Gunslinger Got it in the Steam sales, wanted to get it when it launched but never got around to it. R

Posted Images

Spent a good 2 full days in my underwear on the couch playing Tropico5 during my vacation. It was as amazing.

Surprisingly good controls on console. I actually prefer it to mouse/keyboard. Never thought I would say that.

On 7/16/2021 at 1:02 AM, 0kelvin said:

After watching an hour of American Nightmare I decided to skip it. It doesn't add anything new to the Alan Wake's world apart from some new mechanics.

I'm beginning Bioshock 1 remastered.

It’s just more action. I did highly enjoyed the horde mode tho, great way to spend lunch breaks for me.

The story is very meta and in theory shouldn’t affect the original continuum

The atmosphere in Bioshock is outstanding. The level of interaction that the player has with the environment is also terrific.

Notwithstanding the game has some flaws in its design. I find the idea of managing life, cash and mana in the same way as an RPG not quite apealling. The skills add a lot of depth to the game but the way you have to care about farming $$ and resources make the game a bit dragged. By the second level you are presented with a camera to take pictures of enemies. Taking picures of enemies to level up is an idea that I found game breaking. You have to be constantnly switching between fighting and taking pictures. I'm not enjoying this.

8 hours ago, 0kelvin said:

The atmosphere in Bioshock is outstanding. The level of interaction that the player has with the environment is also terrific.

Notwithstanding the game has some flaws in its design. I find the idea of managing life, cash and mana in the same way as an RPG not quite apealling. The skills add a lot of depth to the game but the way you have to care about farming $$ and resources make the game a bit dragged. By the second level you are presented with a camera to take pictures of enemies. Taking picures of enemies to level up is an idea that I found game breaking. You have to be constantnly switching between fighting and taking pictures. I'm not enjoying this.

Your post made me feel like replaying Beyond Good & Evil 🤬

The mechanics in bioshock 2 are a bit more polished. You can use powers and weapons at the same time, which makes a huge difference. The pipe puzzle was swapped out for something much easier, push a button at the right time. It doesn't cause the strain that the previous puizzle did. The camera is updated with no longer requiring you to swap your weapon.

I wish there would be a Jedi Knight game with the same level of interaction and depth that bioshock has.

[EDIT] I'm not a fan of Bioshock afer all. What I feel from this game is that it has RPG elements that add depth to an FPS game. But the way it does that is like trying to blend oil and water.

I'd say that Bioshock suffers from a split personality where half of it tries to be a more slow oriented RPG game. The other half tries to be a fast paced FPS. That's the dilema that I felt from having to manage resources in an FPS game.

Edited by 0kelvin

I fucking loved bioshock but I can't replay it

Guess an exploration/story focussed-ish game can't be just as good the second time 'round anyway***, but christ almighty the game(s) just don't feel good anymore, either way. I've tried all the .ini edits suggested, and it helps a ton but it's still just . . . ehh. Same goes for the "remasters", sadly.

Really glad I played through the whole series on my first pc ( at, presumably, like 24 fps ) because I'm not sure I'd still be able to have enjoyed them today, even first time around

Sucks to have standards, I suppose

Spoiler

*** Well, I guess there are people who love to read/watch their favourite book/movie/series over and over again, it's just not for me

Editing?

If you mean the spoiler, it's inconsequential. ( and not actually a spoiler, I just like to hide parts of my post I guess )

If you mean the italics, though - it's . . . hard to explain. I've tried to write that post about 3 times since monday, but I can't put it into words well.

Spoiler

I pretty much only play first person games - and if going by hours I pretty much only play Source games, at that. What I've been trying to say is that Source seems to me extremely . . . responsive, if that makes sense. I feel like I control the character directly, as opposed to many other games where it kind of feels like there's a sort of translatory layer between myself and the game. I'm wondering whether Source actually is exceptional in that regard, or I've just spent so much time inside it that it's become second nature to me.

I'm sure framerate plays a big part in it - so Source has a leg up on other titles in that it's old enough to be less-demanding, but maintained enough to run well on new systems. Well, that and it's super PC-focussed, I guess, which must help a lot.

To get back on point - well, to almost get back on point - I should preface that it's been a while since I tried to replay bioshock so this is from memory more than direct experience

That said, there's certain elements that kind of irk me the wrong way, such as;

• the viewmodel is locked to the crosshair, without rubberbanding - but still has constant idle animation
  • the HUD's really fucking huge and I'm pretty sure you can't change that ( well, I've got a hunch that you probably can in the remaster but nonetheless )
  • automatic weapons have fuckhueg conefire which makes them feel like automatic shotguns ( actually, in my opinion every game after DooM 2 has had really shitty shotgun mechanics but that's a discussion for another time ) ( yes I'm including both half-lifes in that statement )
  • vertical and horizontal mouse movement have different sensitivity ( which is one among many reasons bioshock is a lazy console port )

Statements that may or may not be true because I don't recall well enough;

• either VSync or motion blur can't be disabled which makes turning feel weird
  • the player camera isn't centered above the character's rotational centre which also makes turning feel weird

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Other games to which the gist of this post may apply;

• Fallout NV
  • Borderlands 1
  • [ will probably add more later ]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don't let that scare you off bioshock though, I'm pretty sure I'm just really sensitive to this kind of shit for some reason. But like I said in my previous post though; "sucks to have standards". I'm told people who buy 144Hz monitors fucking hate using normal ones after that because they just got used to that degree of . . smoothness? I think it's like that.

All in all though, I maintain they're a great memory & audio logs are one of my favourite game mechanics, so you should definitely try the games at least

Sorry for the cringe wall I guess, but if nothing else at least this answers the hypothetical question of why I scrapped & rewrote this post 3 times

Surprisingly, Bioshock infinite added some twists that made the game more fun. They clearly designed this game to be played on consoles.

The girl gives you some free money, ammo and vigor that helps a lot. There is also a shield that regenerates by itself. You no longer get stuck with no cash to buy health and eve.

HAving the girl is much better than having to use a camera to level up some passive bonus skills.

Edited by 0kelvin