What are you playing now?

Sentura

4 hours ago, Buddy said:

I've had the same, been programming for a couple years and then things just started to make more sense pretty much overnight. Our brains process things in the background 24/7, hence it's often smarter to just sleep on a problem instead of trying to find a solution right in the moment.

Totally, I try to remind myself about background processing whenever I hit a wall on something. Sometimes I even remember to follow that advice :D

Finished COD WW2 last night.

I don’t think I’ve ever deleted a game from my drive so soon after completion. I have no interest going back and replay at harder difficulty, the Zombies mode that I would have been happy to boot up the game for is a pain, such a convoluted long setup before starting, then every time you die you are kicked out to the lobby, compared to the original tight loop you had in WAW.

Not the worst £15 I’ve ever spent on a game (crown still for the original Prey) but definitely unhappy.

• 1 month later...

Max Payne 3. The environments are really good but the mechanics are a departure from what Max Payne was. It was never a game with cover. The whole game turned into a cover shooter.

The music keeps the gritty style but I'm not a fan a drums played like that.

Max Payne 3 is a a combination of many elements from MP1 and 2. It follows the same ideas of police brutality, building exploding, corrupted police, etc.

One thing that I didn't like is the pace. The added cutscenes that completely break the pace and it seems to be caused by the game having to fit onto consoles' tiny RAM. The game flow is interrupted by dialogues and other cutscenes way too often.

Finished Iron Harvest, would not recommend it tbh. its waaaaaaaaay slower than company of heroes in terms of eco/unit building. The campaign has only a few interesting missions and its massively drawn out, literally 40 hours but not very exiciting.

Finished destroy all humans, would recommend at a lowish price if you havent played it before. Was pretty fun tbh, gameplay still holds up ok.

Finished Carrion, was ok, would recommend at a lowish price, not really a metroidvania as the game is actually pretty linear which was a little disappointing.

Finished siege survival, was quite fun, would recommend if you liked this war of mine. Its basically a 3D medieval version of that.

Finished Nioh after like 3 years on off playing, if you like dark souls 100% get it. Need to buy the 2nd one.

Started Ratched and Clank rift apart, pretty good so far but not as good as previous ones.

16 hours ago, 0kelvin said:

Max Payne 3. The environments are really good but the mechanics are a departure from what Max Payne was. It was never a game with cover. The whole game turned into a cover shooter.

I used to replay MP2 on a yearly basis, haven’t done that in a while, but I’ve been wanting to replay MP3 instead, was thinking about it again just the other day.

Like you say the cutscenes get in the way (they’re partially used to mask loads, but they are unskippable anyway), I didn’t mind them on my first play through, but they make impossible to play the time attack modes and ultimately held me back from replaying (plus the back catalog).

I didn’t mind the cover mechanics, games evolve and I don’t fault Rockstar for changing things up a bit… if I remember correctly you could vault or slide over covers for great filmic action.

It was also quite fun to play in multiplayer, shame it lasted little.

~

I’ve installed Battlefield 4 and in 3-4 sessions I got to the chapter where you have to sneak 😕 haven’t picked it up again.

I think it really holds its own, playing right after CODWW2 gives perspective, I’d say that despite being an older game does several things better. Sound above all, the guns sound really solid, but it’s the sound positioning that owns. I found it quite more fun than COD for the impact guns feel they make.

I would buy all the BF (when discounted) if they were making campaigns for each title.

~

I also started Jedi Fallen Order but I commented in its topic, underwhelming start.

Edited by blackdog

Pretty much only been playing guilty gear strive for the last couple weeks. For some reason it seems way more accessible than Xrd and the previous ones despite still having some pretty crazy systems like 4 different types of cancels and a burst mechanic.

2 hours ago, dux said:

Guys I'm playing Halo 3 for the first time ever and it's amazing

Console or pc?

I got the MCC on steam after only having played 3+odst on my 360 way back when & wanting to see the rest of it

They're interesting games . . been a while since I played but I think I recall being pretty impressed by the AI. Not sure how I feel about the MP, wasn't really getting into it at the time but I guess I should try it again eventually

On 7/7/2021 at 5:46 AM, ThunderKeil said:

They're interesting games . . been a while since I played but I think I recall being pretty impressed by the AI. Not sure how I feel about the MP, wasn't really getting into it at the time but I guess I should try it again eventually

Yeah I remember being really impressed by the AI when I tried the first one, it felt they were smart like HL’s soldiers.

Have never played any full game of the series tho, due to the exclusivity, and by the time there were PC versions out, or when I got the X360, my interest had completely gone off. The games seemed to just repeat themselves, looking old (and I mean also in terms of mechanics).

3 hours ago, 0kelvin said:

Alan Wake. It's wonderful. The atmosphere in the beginning is fantastic. I'm right after leaving the dinner cafe.

Played it a few times (every time a new DLC was out). I remember being a bit annoyed/underwhelmed after my first playthrough (#expectations) but it's the type of sleeper cult success you want to get back to.

I wonder if a sequel will ever materialize, can't remember what's the situation with the property... but if it's theirs, if they have the same problem Valve has with number 3.

Alan Wake has some issues with pacing. The world wasn't designed to be linear in the first place. That creates many dead zones that you have to traverse in long journeys that doesn't add much to the plot. The enemies are the same everywhere. There isn't much diversity and they all have the same pattern of attacks. There are also some points in the story that Alan loses all his items and weapons and the player is forced to start anew.

Sam Lake really likes to begin stories at the ending scene, with a series of flashbacks throughout the game. If they ever make Alan Wake 2 they need to add more variety to enemies and more interaction to the environment. And make the progression less dragged.

I could felt that they struggled really hard with an open world attempt. They failed and then resorted to reusing many concepts from Max Payne, such as turning on radios and TVs in game.

Edited by 0kelvin