Sentura

Now playing - 2018

Just beat Xcom (on iron man of course)

Started playing Dyad. It's quite a good game, once you get into the zone it's pretty trance-like.

I just finished Knights of The Old Republic (2003) which despite its age was an overall very good experience! There are a handful of very annoying design choices and bugs which spoils a lot of the fun with the game and this is quite sad to see as all of these annoyances appear as very simple to fix. Playthrough time could have been a lot faster  if I had not spent all that time clicking around in a horrid interface. Still, despite some issues, the story, characters and world is amazing to explore! It is by far some of the best dialogue I have encountered in a game. Now I just really wish I had played this one before I played Mass Effect as KOTOR really feels like a precursor to that game.

Anyone tried Flappy Bird on mobile? Friggin impossible, even harder than The Impossible Game.

Just curious, it's being downloaded like 10 million times…

Yup tried this out for 10 minutes, got frustrated and put it down.

I'm back playing Planetside 2 and loving my MMO addiction.

Yup tried this out for 10 minutes, got frustrated and put it down.

pulled it out again earlier this evening, finally got through 10 pipes, i think i understand the mechanic... but still, immensely frustrating. Guess i'll keep it there to launch it every now and then.

What i'm really playing is Letterpress.

Bulletstorm.

Why is this game trying so hard to tell a story (in a cinematic way)?? I want to shoot things!

The first part is so fragmented it really asks you to put down the pad… really, I had tea and biscuits while playing the tutorial.

You can't advertise a game so hard on "kill with skill" (and mocking COD in your adverts!!!) and then put me through such a long and frankly extremely boring intro. These rednecks are not made to tell a story this way.

I did buy the game because I tried the demo and found it incredibly entertaining, perfect for short burst sessions, the campaign is very off-putting.

Also, it's very weird the aiming setting, I did remember a very good shooter at the time, while now I'm very annoyed by the difference there is between from-the-hip and down-the-sights aiming: first is veeery fast, latter sloooow.

I've been playing Bravely Default which recently got some news because it was selling unexpectedly well and could even create a shake up within Square-Enix. Perhaps 75 million dollar corridors where you don’t do anything but select auto-battle for one character are not the best formula for an RPG?

But while Bravely Default is decidedly old-school when it comes to making sure you’re actually looking at the screen while playing, I cannot help but think a lot of the hype is from people who missed the SNES – PS1 era.

The job system is really broad but there are a lot of optimal strategies like Sleep + Twilight or just using four ninjas that breeze through everything. And a lot of the bosses force skills like Rampart or Spirit Ward with Speed passives so it’s not like you have the freedom to do what you want.

But my main problem with the game is your motivations for doing things are poor and you often feel like you’re on a wild goose chase rather than a mission to save the world. Take this sequence from the first temple you visit.

1. You need to go to the Wind Temple to cleanse the crystal so you run down there and head inside.
  2. Fight your way through the temple to the Crystal and learn you can’t do the ritual without the vestments. This is something your party would have known before entering the bloody temple!
  3. Go and find vestments but oh no they’re ruined.
  4. Leave Temple.
  5. Walk half a continent back to the airship and fly to a house you couldn't enter before.
  6. Old man says he can repair the vestments but needs Rainbow Thread.
  7. Go and get thread from nearby dungeon that you also couldn't enter before.
  8. Go back to the Old Man so he can repair the vestments.
  9. Fly back and walk halfway across the continent again.
  10. Go back through the Wind Temple (thankfully you unlocked a short cut).
  11. Fight boss.
  12. Cleanse Crystal

And this is pretty much how it goes for the whole game, with your party kind of ambling along aimlessly and occasionally stopping like they can’t remember if they left the oven on and forcing you to backtrack. But the ultimate slap in the face comes with Chapter 5.

Chapter 5 resets everything in the game. The crystal objectives reset, all the bosses reset, all the side-quests reset and a flat statistics boost is added to all enemies. Then it gives you the airship and tells you to do it all again. Enemies don't even drop better stuff.

No thanks.

Aren't most Square-Enix JRPGs like that though? :XD:

Most of them are super awesome and great overall, but there's always some massively stupid design/story choice along the way that can potentially ruin the whole experience if you don't swallow your gamer pride and keep going.

I'm still plating Battlefield 3 o_o. I just adore playing hide and seek with tanks. The funniest thing evah. "Oh you see me... Oh now you don't... Ohh shiet ruuun". I lasted about 12 seconds running around a tank once. The guy decided to come out... I shot him and took his tank... mlol. All the things you can do in this game *sigh happily*. I'm still terrible at flying anything haha. First time I flew a Jet I ran it into the ground upside down haha. 

Aren't most Square-Enix JRPGs like that though? :XD:

Most of them are super awesome and great overall, but there's always some massively stupid design/story choice along the way that can potentially ruin the whole experience if you don't swallow your gamer pride and keep going.

I'm not sure I agree with that. Or at least not to this level. I mean, the Light Pillar is comparable to the World of Ruin in Final Fantasy VI. Except the WoR strips your party down to one, completely changes the world map, changes every single location, changes all the enemies, adds a whole bunch of extra content, and then gives you an open path to recruit your old party members and enter the final dungeon whenever you're ready. It's basically an entirely new world. BD just respawns everything and adds flat statistics to them with very flimsy reasoning. It really is another level of lazy.