Sentura

Now playing - 2017

1,974 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, Buddy said:

I had the same sensation, maybe because of how simplified the game was compared to SS2?

That's why you should play games for what they are, not for what you like them to be. I know Ken Levine was behind both, but different eras man.

I've been playing Steep, surprisingly enjoyable actually once you get into it. It's got that addictive 'one more go' quality to it, and some of the events remind me a bit of the old Skate games. The paragliding events are lame though, as the reviews mentioned, but the wingsuit challenges make up for it. 

34 minutes ago, (HP) said:

That's why you should play games for what they are, not for what you like them to be. I know Ken Levine was behind both, but different eras man.

It's not like I was constantly comparing the game to SS2 while playing it. I just couldn't help but cringe at the Console treatment it got. (Remember, it came out in 2007 and we were still in MasterRaceDenial) Look at the looting/search system for instance, so awfully simple.

[HP] likes this

I'm finally playing the Resident Evil 1 remake, why didn't I play this before? The cool thing is that I don't remember anything from the first game at all (I barely played it back then), so I'm pretty much playing it for the first time, figuring shit out as I go. Feels good to feel the same tension that I felt when I played the original ones back then... everything in this game is so fucking lethal!

Sprony, PogoP, Buddy and 1 other like this

43 minutes ago, Minos said:

I'm finally playing the Resident Evil 1 remake, why didn't I play this before? The cool thing is that I don't remember anything from the first game at all (I barely played it back then), so I'm pretty much playing it for the first time, figuring shit out as I go. Feels good to feel the same tension that I felt when I played the original ones back then... everything in this game is so fucking lethal!

What you playing it on dawg? Not played those games for years. I loved 1, 2 and 3 with Nemesis.. Jeez that guy was terrifying.

PS4 but it's out on every platform I think.

1 hour ago, PogoP said:

What you playing it on dawg? Not played those games for years. I loved 1, 2 and 3 with Nemesis.. Jeez that guy was terrifying.

Play 4, it's diferent than the first 3 but it's amazing.

And yeah, RE1 remake is the best remake of any game, ever.

Also that RE7 demo on PSN is pretty fucking good, can't wait for the game later in the month.

Buddy and PogoP like this

Btw, I found that the game feels a lot more correct in fullscreen mode instead of widescreen. Widescreen basically crops the screen vertically o__O

58 minutes ago, (HP) said:

Play 4, it's diferent than the first 3 but it's amazing.

And yeah, RE1 remake is the best remake of any game, ever.

Also that RE7 demo on PSN is pretty fucking good, can't wait for the game later in the month.

Ah man yeah, RE4 is one of my fav games. Loved that on the GC!

[HP] likes this

3 hours ago, (HP) said:

It's on Steam now, too.

I finished the new Doom. It was an ok experience, but two things really got in the way of the experience: The level design and shield enemies. The level design because even though it was linear, it just didn't feel fun to explore every alcove just to find the security key or skull or whatever to continue. I don't play point and click adventure games for the same reason, it's just not interesting to click everywhere on the screen on the off chance that there is an item I need there to be picked up. Shield enemies felt unnecessary and completely out of touch with the franchise, especially when they mix together with the tougher enemies in the game. I don't really enjoy combat where I'm already busy staying alive by doing glory kills while at the same time being forced to deal with random charging mobs that can't be damaged until they attack. By the end of the game I was feeling a lot of combat fatigue (either I am just getting bored of combat in general or it wasn't the best pacing), but at least the boss battles were really enjoyable. I feel the game suffers a bit from too much hype for what it delivers. I felt like I enjoyed Mankind Divided much more than this.

Can we please just ban shield guys from singleplayer games :(

Sentura likes this

On ‎11‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 0:23 AM, 2d-chris said:

Looks fun, but IMO the camera is shaking around a bit too much :) 

Camera shake doesn't really bother me, but I get what you mean... I guess is the Luftrausers school of shake! ;) There is an option in the menu to half it.

It is quite fun, is delivering that short burst entertainment that many want/need, and the "just another run" for the competitive score. Is just very hard to settle on a balancing to allow fun but keeping it challenging. I'm very happy several suggestions I made upsetting my friend at first, have been put into the game, some are quite big :) 

You can follow updates on Morfeo's twitter... not sure if you know Filippo, he was in Crytek when they only had one studio.

15 hours ago, Sentura said:

By the end of the game I was feeling a lot of combat fatigue (either I am just getting bored of combat in general or it wasn't the best pacing), but at least the boss battles were really enjoyable. I feel the game suffers a bit from too much hype for what it delivers. I felt like I enjoyed Mankind Divided much more than this.

See, for example I found the bosses a very boring process, and was only on "hurt me plenty". Can't imagine trying to get it done harder (tried the ultimate method but haven't been able to finish the first level I think).

Shield soldiers are tough, I found them probably the most annoying as well, but still don't mind too much, felt like they pushed me to think how to approach the encounters were they were there... there were many options to take them down, mainly a smart use of grenades, but as well use of the power ups (if I had the Haste they were my first target) and environment to get around them, or even just double jump over them to hit from behind.

I was surprised how easily Barons of Hell and Hell Knights can be dispatched of.

9 hours ago, blackdog said:

Shield soldiers are tough, I found them probably the most annoying as well, but still don't mind too much, felt like they pushed me to think how to approach the encounters were they were there... there were many options to take them down, mainly a smart use of grenades, but as well use of the power ups (if I had the Haste they were my first target) and environment to get around them, or even just double jump over them to hit from behind.

There are plenty of reasons there shouldn't be shield enemies in any SP game ever. But the fact that they are in Doom is so much worse. Doom is a symbol of careless, coverless combat where you rely more or clutch reactions and instinct rather than thinking. Having shield enemies in Doom is an antithesis to what the game is about.

Edited by Sentura

Not playing anything but watching AGDQ instead. Right now the TASBot is remote executing code on a SNES via Link To The Past to draw a fucking FMV of a Portal speedrun frame by frame, and the chat is half convinced they're somehow actually running Portal on a SNES. This is the best thing by far from this entire marathon.

Edited by Jetsetlemming