• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The facial animation is incredible, but it just looks odd the way it is stuck on the rest of the model.

Didn't Avatar basically do this, except they were able to do the mo-cap simultaneously?

This characters just look weird because the head just seems disconnected from the body.... I dunno, it's hard to explain.

The facial animation is incredible, but it just looks odd the way it is stuck on the rest of the model.[...] This characters just look weird because the head just seems disconnected from the body.... I dunno, it's hard to explain.

Agreed. The facial animations look amazing, but look so oddly out of place that I can't take anything else seriously. The performance on the face and the performance of the voice just completely does not match with the rest of the body or the environment, and I find it insanely distracting. The whole trailer felt like I was watching a badly-dubbed movie.

• 1 month later...

Looks absolutely fantastic. Not going to be able to play a game without this facial mocap after playing this!

I'm quite happy it's on Xbox.. Will be nice to sit in the living room with a huge telly with a nice beer, solving some crimes and popping some caps in some asses.

:( another rockstar game getting no pc release. Red Dead now this. tiz sad since 2011 seems to be the year for pc games with a ton of rpg's and fps's (including pc exclusive ones) making their way not to mention shogun total war 2 for rts.

Whining aside, the setting is what really gets me here :) I would love to even watch a tv show set in this time period about cops. These guys definitely are hitting good ground on picking excellent settings for their games. Red Dead was incredible choice for the style of game and this looks like what i kinda wanted mafia 2 to be but with bad guys instead :P

Hah, looked like Ron Perlman at 2:40.

I have to say I'm still uninspired by the overall look of the game; there's just something about the flatness and lack of character to the lighting and such that fails to please my eyes. The facial technology is just as incredible as before though, and IMO is a glimpse of a future where games will make extensive use of actual actors' faces — which will inevitably lead to actors becoming more involved with the marketing of games rather than merely voices in the credits.

Hah, looked like Ron Perlman at 2:40.

I have to say I'm still uninspired by the overall look of the game; there's just something about the flatness and lack of character to the lighting and such that fails to please my eyes. The facial technology is just as incredible as before though, and IMO is a glimpse of a future where games will make extensive use of actual actors' faces — which will inevitably lead to actors becoming more involved with the marketing of games rather than merely voices in the credits.

I agree with all of this, this is definitely the best facial mocap we've ever seen and a step in the right direction for sure. Even if seems to take up so much resources the rest of the game has to look like something from 2001 :derp:

... if this was PC it could look like crysis and have cool facial mocap.

... PC.