Black Mesa Source

Skjalg

19 hours ago, [HP] said:

- the texture of the players hands is really dark. Even in bright areas, your hands are just a black void. 

-I guess this is just how the original game was.

- This game needs an option to make crouch a toggle

-Should be possible in the settings, at least i think it was in other source games.

- thank you for removing that annoying crouch during jump mechanic.

-YOU ARE WEAK

- grenades take a second too long to explode it feels like. By the time they explode, most enemies already moved out of the aoe. Frustrating. 

-Hold longer before release, it works like in Worms.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm currently playing through Xen, and honestly, it looks astonishing. The original in Half-Life was not much of a looker, and gameplay/jumps were more chaotic.

The new long jump in BM is a breath of fresh air to the gameplay; very well executed. and I keep stopping and staring at all the colors/details/lighting, and the ever changing flora from level to level; very neat.

Finally, a shoutout to @shawnolson since wallworm tools shine in all their glory in the intricate and organic shapes that make up the majority of Xen world. I can only imagine, in horror, if all this work was solely done in Hammer: the game would have probably released in 2040 at the earliest, that is if any member of the dev team managed to keep their sanity :D 

6 hours ago, will2k said:

I'm currently playing through Xen, and honestly, it looks astonishing...

Finally, a shoutout to @shawnolson since wallworm tools shine in all their glory in the intricate and organic shapes that make up the majority of Xen world. I can only imagine, in horror, if all this work was solely done in Hammer: the game would have probably released in 2040 at the earliest, that is if any member of the dev team managed to keep their sanity :D 

Thank you Will. I am deeply flattered. But as flattering as that is, the shout-out belongs to the whole team. Many of the really cool tools in WW were only possible because I could devote so much time to the tools because of Black Mesa. I certainly would have worked on WW all along, but I would not have had the need (or opportunity) to push many of the tools as far as they went without being a part of Black Mesa.

Looking forward to playing through it.

Happy to also see that there's also a financial payoff after 15 years of blood, sweat and tears:

https://www.pcgamer.com/black-mesa-was-one-of-steams-top-selling-new-games-in-march/?utm_content=buffer9afcc&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=buffer-pcgamertw

• 2 weeks later...

Finished it!

Props to the devs for making Xen chapters a unique experience as almost as if it was not Half-Life anymore, but a new game on its own. Well done.

Some sections really felt unrecognizable and totally new which is a big plus as opposed to being an exact copy of HL levels.

The puzzles in Interloper dragged on a bit and became repetitive, but that doesn't take away from the total experience.

Spoiler

And that Gargantua Chase in Interloper...that made the heart rate go up a bit :-D

I counted 8 Gargantuas chasing me when I reached the end safe spot.

Zen is Fan fucking tastic.

Spoiler

The middle bit with the vortigons is a little underwhelming visually but is really cool narratively and actually ties into why gordon is considered their savior.The new level design in general in Zen (im assuming its actually all new, I don't remember zens layout that well).

The boss fight with running guy is amazing, such a great encounter, the initial fight, the build up, the mix of mechanics to escape, etc

The earth part of the game is really well done too, so much little bits of environmental story telling that I don't remember from the original, the whole complex makes a little more sense than it did in HL.

For earth the experimental lab and the lambda complex were probably my favorite parts.

A+

• 7 months later...