Skjalg

Black Mesa Source

Congratz to everyone who was involved at some point in the 15-years development cycle! I'm looking forward to playing the full version :)

Is there a way to map controller inputs? Options only seem to allow for keyboard and mouse mapping. I enjoy playing with a controller on my couch, and some of the default controller inputs aren't exactly to my liking.

Edit: Nvm, I'm a retard it's right there next to the main input bindings category.

Some random other thoughts, both good and bad.聽

- Feels weird how the flashlight is located around the waist of the character, it usually creates some pretty long and buggy shadows.

- the texture of the players hands is really dark. Even in bright areas, your hands are just a black void.聽

- great checkpoint system, no need to constantly f6 / f9.

- This game needs an option to make crouch a toggle

- thank you for removing that annoying crouch during jump mechanic.

- grenades take a second too long to explode it feels like. By the time they explode, most enemies already moved out of the aoe. Frustrating.聽

- sometimes i find myself in a situation where I've got 1hp and i gotta take down 4 or 5 soldiers, and there's no health packs anywhere. Could this be remedied by, if player has <= 10 hp, breakable boxes always spawn a couple of health packs?

- soldiers feel a tad bullet spongy, and their aim is ruthless.

- shotgun / reloading behavior just feels off. If you click fire during reload, it will finish the reload anim then auto fire when anim ends, probably better to聽one click stop reloading then聽click again to fire.

19 hours ago, [HP] said:

- the texture of the players hands is really dark. Even in bright areas, your hands are just a black void.聽

-I guess this is just how the original game was.

- This game needs an option to make crouch a toggle

-Should be possible in the settings, at least i think it was in other source games.

- thank you for removing that annoying crouch during jump mechanic.

-YOU ARE WEAK

- grenades take a second too long to explode it feels like. By the time they explode, most enemies already moved out of the aoe. Frustrating.聽

-Hold longer before release, it works like in Worms.

I really enjoyed being back in Black Mesa, and I loved Xen.. At first. It soon got very tedious, unfortunately. Still, it's better than what Half-life did with Xen.

I'm currently playing through Xen, and honestly, it looks astonishing. The original in Half-Life was not much of a looker, and gameplay/jumps were more chaotic.

The new long jump in BM is a breath聽of fresh air to the gameplay; very well executed. and I keep stopping and staring at all the colors/details/lighting, and the ever changing flora from level to level; very neat.

Finally, a shoutout to @shawnolson聽since wallworm tools shine in all their glory in the intricate and organic shapes that make up the majority of Xen world. I can only imagine, in horror, if all this work was solely done in Hammer: the game would have probably released in 2040 at the earliest, that is if any member of the dev team managed to keep their sanity聽:D

6 hours ago, will2k said:

I'm currently playing through Xen, and honestly, it looks astonishing...

Finally, a shoutout to @shawnolson聽since wallworm tools shine in all their glory in the intricate and organic shapes that make up the majority of Xen world. I can only imagine, in horror, if all this work was solely done in Hammer: the game would have probably released in 2040 at the earliest, that is if any member of the dev team managed to keep their sanity聽:D

Thank you Will. I am deeply flattered. But as flattering as that is, the shout-out belongs聽to聽the whole team. Many of the really cool tools in WW were only possible because I could devote so much time to the tools because of Black Mesa. I certainly would have worked on WW all along, but I would not have had the need (or opportunity) to push many of the tools as far as they went without being a part of Black Mesa.

Looking forward to playing through it.

Happy to also see that there's also a financial payoff after 15 years of blood, sweat and tears:

https://www.pcgamer.com/black-mesa-was-one-of-steams-top-selling-new-games-in-march/?utm_content=buffer9afcc&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=buffer-pcgamertw