Skjalg

Black Mesa Source

I liked Xen, it felt like a proper end game thing to go there after an entire game in BM, though I'm not really a fan of 1st person platforming and Xen did have it's share of that.

only 4th? amateur...

All I said is the first three playthrus of HL1 would be better, but fourth and up, BM:S might be better :-D

I prefer the black mesa portion of the game. Xen was interesting, but it wasn't as fun. Honestly I usually stop short of the ending when I play it nowadays. Usually go thru a few stages of xen and lose interest. That platforming section with the flying manta ray things and launcher tube things, floating islands, etc.. sorry but I find that part just tedious and frustrating. I enjoy the battle with the big momma crab, that is one of the most memorable Xen section for me. But from flying mantas to the factory to nihilanth.. I just don't find to hold much replay value.

xen was awesome, very blunt way to finish a game!

Crytek tried the same approach with the Core level on Crysis, trying to completely change the way the game is played but it didn't work that well gameplay wise; but one thing is for sure, when I think Crysis 1, I think Island and Core.

Thanks for the crit, that was an old normal map back when crazybump was new to me and I thought it was the be-all and end-all of normal map production. I hadn't learnt anything about the highpoly baking process at that stage, so I was mostly reserved to the Nvidia plugin and crazybump for any of my normal map making needs.

I have however spent some time redoing that map this morning, how does this look to you guys?

I think I'll put the time into fixing up the outside normal map in a similar fashion now. I am afraid it's still mostly Crazybump filtered, though a little more care taken than just running a tweaked diffuse through.

I tried googling "why crazybump is shit" and crazy bump no good", haven't come up with any good critiques. So it falls on to Rick to post links that explain why crazybump is shit and how to properly do normal maps.