Skjalg

Black Mesa Source

It was mean to be a combination of whatever you wanted it to be haha. If you saw a release date in it.. well there may be some truth there. If you saw me telling people to simply go away until the end of 2010, well there may have been some truth there too haha. It wasn't supposed to be some form of coded message or cryptic secret awaiting the combined might of the Black Mesa fanbase to unlock. It was a spontaneous shot across the bow that went much further then I expected it to go.

However, lest you despair, let me just say this. There will be a break in silence, of some form, from us at the end of 2010/very early 2011. Will it be a mod release? Another trailer? A media release? A Twitter update? A new release date? Raminator changing his avatar? Or just an announcement saying "oh hai believe it or not we're still alive"? I can't say. But an end of 2010 update.. you can be sure will happen.

soooooooooooooooo

budgets got almost nothing to do with it :ninja: if that was the case we wouldnt have modding to start with, the problem is setting unrealistic goals that you'd need a big budget to achieve.

Also no matter how much a group of developers love a game it's harder to remake a game than it is to start your own ... most developers get their motivation from new experiences not recreation of old ones and modding is all about motivation :) It's not impossible but it will take sweet time to get anywhere.

It's also a single player mod, the only ones I've played that are half decent would be 1 or 2 man teams making short episodes. MP is a breeze to mod compared.

All the more reason if this can be pulled off it's one hell of an achievement, but it certainly has the bookies against it.

budgets got almost nothing to do with it :ninja: if that was the case we wouldnt have modding to start with, the problem is setting unrealistic goals that you'd need a big budget to achieve.

Also no matter how much a group of developers love a game it's harder to remake a game than it is to start your own ... most developers get their motivation from new experiences not recreation of old ones and modding is all about motivation :) It's not impossible but it will take sweet time to get anywhere.

It's also a single player mod, the only ones I've played that are half decent would be 1 or 2 man teams making short episodes. MP is a breeze to mod compared.

All the more reason if this can be pulled off it's one hell of an achievement, but it certainly has the bookies against it.

All the more reason to go for episodic releases for each chapter imo.

As you said, modding is all about motivation, and nothing motivates more than releases and the praise and fame that follows.

It has EVERYTHING to do with it. With a project this large (larger than any single other mod in existence) we cannot work on it full time whereas having a budget (theoretically) would allow us to pay our developers to work on it 8 hours a day everyday. But without one, we are stuck working on it in our free time even if some of us have two jobs or are in classes full time.

It has EVERYTHING to do with it. With a project this large (larger than any single other mod in existence) we cannot work on it full time whereas having a budget (theoretically) would allow us to pay our developers to work on it 8 hours a day everyday. But without one, we are stuck working on it in our free time even if some of us have two jobs or are in classes full time.

yes, but the point I made was that's never going to happen? You're never going to get a budget, and you're never going to be full time on the project. Setting unrealstic goals (a full game) is de-motivating.

budget is only a concern if you have one.

The entire budget thing was brought up because someone compared the development time of big industry, full-budgeted games (HL1 and 2) with the development time of a no-budget mod. In this comparison, yes, budget has everything to do with it.

IF BMS had the budget of HL2, do you think it would take this long?

Alternatively, you could compare the development time of the no-budget BMS to the full-budget DNF, in which case they are doing spectacular :v

Do you think Rick doesn’t understand that?

Lets all hope we're wrong, and it is possible to pull something like this off without a budget. Money is the primary reason games of HL scale are made, I've yet to see a mod that has done it convincingly, nothing here suggests otherwise ;P

I can't imagine the amount of devotion needed to get something like this done, if it exsists at all.

The version I was so lucky to play a year ago (mid ferbruary) was very well done. (At least the part I played, which was mostly the starting chapters). Theres no doubt in my mind that they can pull it off. I'm just hoping it happens during this decade =)

on the subject of budget:

it only makes things easier if the structure is there to support it correctly. look at all the indie devs who fail and fold even with backing and money to support themselves full-time. money doesn't instantly remove all worries, in fact it very often adds more, increasing the stress and removing that much needed creativity, leading to burnout and eventual hostility.

sure, some developers make it, but for every 1 that hits it big time and succeeds there's 20 that don't.

i think if you guys were the type of people who could utilise a budget correctly you would also be the type of people who would realise that rebuilding an enormous project like half-life, and performing a graphical overhaul at the same time, is an utterly enormous undertaking. single player games on that scale, with that engine, are not something you walk into lightly, and the mock-proffesionalism that has been shown is an indication that you have latched onto the wrong part of the industry business model. an outward appearance of proffesionalism is no match for having an internal system that works for your team and your game, and the right developers in the right positions.

my point is that a budget would simply add to your problems, not alieviate them. perhaps if you had started the project with a backer, and had hired the right people in the right areas, and had a good business model from the start then perhaps a budget would work for you. but it's irrelvant right now because simply injecting money into this project would almost certainly destroy it.