Skjalg

Black Mesa Source

Having worked on both:

Nightwatch died for a lot of reasons; no animators but a lot of animation to do -- which stalled NPC code that relied on animations which stalled map design that relied on working NPCs, rampant feature creep, a global content reboot or two, an engine getting increasingly obsolete and so it was difficult to recruit for staff turnover, etc. (Who wants to work on HL1 when HL2 is out?) There's probably more to it than that, but that's what comes to my mind first.

Black Mesa has well-staffed departments (or it did when I was still there) and experienced leadership that has shipped MMOs, and Source is still relatively viable / usable for the near future... and since it's a remake, there's a clear roadmap as to how to finish things. (You won't see new, entire chapters or entire new game mechanics)

To sum it up, I don't think the comparison is accurate. They're both huge single player mods with talented staff (and a lot of turnover, haha) but that's it.

let me clarify. I'm in no way demanding updates, I'm just worried. Worried that this is another Nightwatch. I remember people saying they were working on NW and it was going to be finished up until the day they werent and NW was just shot down.

I wasn't referring to your type of post when I agreed previously. More like the types who are overtly negative. Trolls essentially :)

Which he says clearly on his site: "In-engine shot (only terrain textures are my work, the rest is copyright Valve)"

Which is probably why it's on a personal art portfolio and not the official BMS site :)

It was mean to be a combination of whatever you wanted it to be haha. If you saw a release date in it.. well there may be some truth there. If you saw me telling people to simply go away until the end of 2010, well there may have been some truth there too haha. It wasn't supposed to be some form of coded message or cryptic secret awaiting the combined might of the Black Mesa fanbase to unlock. It was a spontaneous shot across the bow that went much further then I expected it to go.

However, lest you despair, let me just say this. There will be a break in silence, of some form, from us at the end of 2010/very early 2011. Will it be a mod release? Another trailer? A media release? A Twitter update? A new release date? Raminator changing his avatar? Or just an announcement saying "oh hai believe it or not we're still alive"? I can't say. But an end of 2010 update.. you can be sure will happen.

http://forums.blackmesasource.com/showthread.php?t=7742 :B

I read that whole thread, and I want to cry. Why are people such dicks? GIV ME GAEM NAO!O OMG YOUVE TOOK 4 YEARS AND 10 MONTHS, ANY COMPETANT TEAM WOULD HAV IT DOEN IN 3 YEARS 8 MONTHS!!

They need this emoticon:

:stfu:

And just set it to auto-reply to every post with that. Jesus, those people have no fucking clue what it takes.