The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

┌HP┘

Steam says I have played 69 hours and I feel like I am done with this game. I finished the main quest, imperial, thieves guild, mages guild, dark brotherhood, companions, not sure what other quest lines are there. Bethesda definitely has some of the best environmental storytelling around, as well as some of the best visual areas of interest that draw you into an area for no other reason than because it looks cool. I went with heavy armor / unarmed and felt that I tapped out very early in the game with the dragon armor and +melee enchant. There might be a few standout upgrades here and there but I got used to not finding any so I just stopped looting most enemies and containers. I was also a bit disappointed with the unarmed route since you seem to miss out on many things in the game like applying potions to your weapon (you can't douse your fists with a potion?), and some of the useful perks are at the end of talent trees where you'd have to waste points on perks you can't even use (like creating more powerful poisons). Overall though, I would say it's their best outing yet (although it could have used a pint-sized-slasher-esque moment or two). Oh, and the horses sucked and I never used them :ninja:

If there's anything good about them, it's they will help you in combat up to a certain extent (if they get hurt too badly they leave). Otherwise, yeah they just really hurt the flow of the game. Getting on/off feels really janky and slow, they don't have much more stamina than the player, they can't take big drops or slide down massive hills as shortcuts :P

You're always welcome to try the horses, but if there was a way to get one without paying.. that is the way to go. There's just not enough of a difference or benefit like there is in Red Dead Redemption.

I read somewhere that they specifically didn't put enough resources in the horses because they found it broke the experience of the player and exploration.

Which is a shame, really, if you could fight on horseback and at least interact with stuff on your reach (speak to NPCs, pick up ingredients) it would have been so much more fun.

But then I think they let it in so the modders can improve on that, so there is hope.

Anyway me playing (Wolf Queen quest spoilers) recorded the video for a friend to see what the game is about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnz-fzqoY5s

Fast travel is essential, I guess what they meant is this: you are on the horse, an enemy appears, you have to get down from the horse to fight, then get back on, then you spot some alchemy ingredients you want to collect, then get off the horse, collect them, then get back on, then you walk some more and see an NPC, then get off the horse, talk, get back on...

Since you can only basically move with the horse, the constant getting off-on really interrupts the flow of wandering the wilderness, and the resources needed to actually flesh out horseback mechanics (talking, fighting, interacting) where not worth the investment, so they left horses in their most basic (and honestly silly) iteration.

• 1 month later...

SPOILER WARNING:

I've poured 95 hours into the game and I'm still loving it. Took me a while to explore the entire map. Of course I didn't find everything but I certainly discovered most areas. I'm done with all the major story lines except for the Dark Brotherhood. I think I have a couple of quests left before I've finished that as well. I did about half of the main quest and before I finish it I have to decide if I'm going to do the civil war storyline. I tend to lean towards the Empire because the Stormcloaks are racist bastards and seem to be corrupt.

I rather see a free Skyrim instead of having it under the control of the Empire. But I don't know if I need them against the Thalmor. I hope there is a chance to kill all those arrogant elves. Long story short, am I missing out if I don't do the civil war? How long does it take? Because I want to move on to other games as well :)

Suggestions would be appreciated

• 4 weeks later...

Oh wow, Bethesda just twittered:

Skyrim Steam Workshop downloads are over 13.6 million. PC mods FTW.

It's so great that they show that even modern AAA titles can have such big mod communities :).

• 4 weeks later...