The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

• Replies 552
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So I recently got the Legendary Edition of Skyrim for the 360, having never played the game before. It comes with all the DLC so that's cool, means I get an even richer first-time experience I guess.

Still bumming the shit out of this game. I've only just met the woman with the secret room yet I've poured countless time into side-quests and DLC. This game is not good for someone with OCD. Out

They said it's level scaling similar to Fallout 3, rather than Oblivion. It was fine in Fallout.

I still found fallout really easy. Definitely an improvement over Oblivion but still far too easy for my taste.

difficulty systems in general are fickle. you'd need something dynamic like the AI director from L4D2 to accommodate and tailor the experience to the player's liking. and then that doesn't even take into account the difficulty of minigames, such as stealthing or lockpicking or hacking or whatever.

Was about to say the same. It does realy look like Oblivion with some gfx mods.. Too bad they didnt use iDTech for this!

Though faces and body's looks way much better now, I wonder how the animations are going to be like. Beth has much to improve in both modeling and animation department. Textures will be replaced by mods anyway :P

It'd be near impossible to make a game the scale of oblivion with ID tech 5

Bethesda/Zenimax bought id back in 2009. That's about 6 months-1 year after development of ES5 began if they started right after releasing Fallout 3 (and didn't have a separate team developing it prior to FO3's release). Nothing I've seen from idTech 5 indicates it would have issues with scale (quite the opposite if you've seen the Rage demos). Rather, Bethesda didn't have access to idTech 5 when development started on ES5.

From what we've seen of rage the biggest area is that small linear driving section. I'd hardly call that ready for a game like oblivion. Also I doubt the megatexture pipeline would work well for a game of Oblivions scale, unless you have 4000 artists. I wonder how easy it is to outsource art for a megatexture pipeline, lets not forget most games these days outsource shit tons of their assets.

A game of oblivions scale needs tons of copy paste and reuse - not amazingly detailed corridors and just as small dogleg'd cities. Lets not also forget theres a good chance they don't have the logic tools required to make an RPG game.

Don't get me wrong I'm looking forward to RAGE, but it's very much a FPS engine and toolset from what I've seen.

Oh come on, Chris. You've seen what people can do with the right talent in Source, Unreal, and CryEngine. Why would idTech 5 be any different?

I wouldn't put it past Bethesda to find a way to set up modular everything using idTech5. Would the megatexturing be relevant to a game like that? Maybe not. But everything else? Sure.

Perhaps my first comment was a bit blunt, but the point remains for this game the worst thing they could do is try and use ID tech 5 for an established IP. It's much better to just update the exsisting engine and toolset.

Given allot of time (that this project won't have) you could make an RPG out of any engine you like, that really isnt the point here ;)

I think ID tech 5 will be best suited for FPS games, just like previous ID engines.

":33ryndab]That's why you should have played it on hard! :)

Anyway, can anyone post new links for the screens? where the fuck are you guys getting this info?

I did play it on hard, it was still easy. I pretty much play everything on hard.

edit: except civilization, that game kicks my ass in the higher levels :shock:

They said it's level scaling similar to Fallout 3, rather than Oblivion. It was fine in Fallout.

I still found fallout really easy. Definitely an improvement over Oblivion but still far too easy for my taste.

difficulty systems in general are fickle. you'd need something dynamic like the AI director from L4D2 to accommodate and tailor the experience to the player's liking. and then that doesn't even take into account the difficulty of minigames, such as stealthing or lockpicking or hacking or whatever.

I should have bought L4D2 when it was on sale. I'm interested to see how that works.