Sign in to follow this  
Minos

Mass Effect 3

I kind of waffled on what I thought of the ending until I saw this take on it. I now love it, though I'm curious what their plan for it is (if any - DLC might just slot into the existing story).

More than anything, I wanted more out of

the lead-up to the ending. With the exception of the giant baby Terminator in ME2, the ending runs of the series have been amazing. Ilos + the Citadel battle in ME1, the suicide mission and its consequences in 2. In 3, you had these fantastic priority mission arcs like Tuchanka and Rannoch, yet the finale of ME3 was generic rubble with average combat spaces at night. ME1 nailed the scale of the battle, ME2 nailed the tension and importance of your choices, and ME3 really kind of whiffed on both.

Still, the repercussions of the ending as presented as well as

watching my squadmates get vaporized ahead of me on the final charge to the beam

haunted me for days. It's a mighty fine game.

Oh, the other thing that annoyed me more than the ending: WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED TO THE JOURNAL? It worked perfectly fine the previous two games - story missions, side missions, a bulleted list of what you had done and what came next... It's like they rolled back in some prototype ME1 journal code for ME3 and called it good. Horrible navigation, no useful information, no updates. Ew.

I tried the demo and really didn't find it very fun at all. Wonder if this is a wait and buy when it's cheaper or not buy at all...

I loved the first one and I've probably played through it 2 or 3 times actually, but the second one I can hardly even remember most things from and this one seems to have moved even more in the direction of what I did NOT like about the second one.. :(

I don't think the demo does it any justice, not played it myself but generally people seemed disappointed with it.

I'm a huge fan of the first game, ME3 definitely comes closer to it than ME2 with some really good cinematic moments that are not just there for the sake of a cheap thrill. I would say play it at some point, waiting until the end is fixed would be advisable :cool:

KungFuSquirrel:

Did your squadmates really get vaporized? Because they usually don't die even if the narrative makes you think so. Depending on who you brought along they appear in the crash landing cinematic... really weird. How the dick did they get there? Aboard the normandy? Teleport?

:P

Oh and yeah, the journal sucked. I agree! :)

PhilipK: I haven't played the demo, but I've read which levels it includes and I agree with 2d-chris that it probably doesn't represent the game too well overall.

I think they avoided the journal with stages because, outside of the main quest and ~7 others, they are all "overheard something" -> "scanned planet"/"found item"/"missed item and brought it" -> "talked to someone."

That's what the "Assignments" tab was for! They had plenty of little side things in ME1/2 that came from news announcements, picking up random items, etc, and all got sorted under that category and were super easy to track without making it also impossible to track the main missions.

Also there's no excuse for always making the starting selection down in the middle of the finished quests and making me scroll through them all to the top EVERY TIME.

ok ...

I finally finished the game, ending was almost as bad as I came to expect, just sucks that none of your previous decisions had any impact. It was emotional for sure. However, screw it, I got like 30 hours goty quality entertainment so roll on the alternative ending dlc

:)

I nearly fell off my chair laughing at Urdnot's comment about Australia, so good

:lol:

I don't understand whats up with the "listening in" process of getting missions. it doesn't make sense at all. I hate the fact that to get various side and mini missions, I have to go around eavesdropping on random people who make no difference in the "world" of mass effect. the savior of the universe shouldn't have to listen in to solve problems.

I love the game, although it ranks 2nd in the three for me. one had a fantastic structure and design, two went way too "cover based generic fps", but three bridges those two nicely.

I still want a moon buggy/mako to cruise the low-grav universe of planets.

Whiny little bitches can now rest easy, their prayers have been heard.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/06 ... r-june-26/

“The Extended Cut expands on the endings of Mass Effect 3 through additional scenes and epilogue sequences. It provides more of the answers and closure that players have been asking for. It gives a sense of what the future holds as a result of the decisions made throughout the series. And it shows greater detail in the successes or failures based on how players achieved their endings.”

“The Extended Cut is an expansion of the original endings to Mass Effect 3. It does not fundamentally change the endings, but rather it expands on the meaning of the original endings, and reveals greater detail on the impact of player decisions.”