Europe:

Sweden is the closest thing you'll get in Europe to a "stable" industry next to England, which is not saying much. Sweden I think is the second biggest video games country in Europe in terms of numbers of studios or even their importance.

The UK (read England) has by far the largest established base, but they're all pretty gloomy right now aside from the infallible Rockstar and a few other successful places like Rocksteady, Media Molecule or Ninja Theory (from the looks of it). At least they keep saying they can't get talent, are pissed at Canada for being so cheap and are disappointed they didn't get their own tax breaks.

Germany has Crytek, possibly Yager depending on what they come up with with their recent project.

France has Ubisoft that never hires anyone permanently before giving them contracts for as long as they possibly can, so if you're looking for stable you can go somewhere else. Not to mention piss poor salaries and the absolute need to speak French to everyone around you. Bethesda bought Arkane so it will be interesting to see if they can get their heads out of the water a bit higher.

Spain has basically very little of any significance, so does Portugal, Switzerland or Italy.

The Netherlands has Guerilla, and Denmark has IO Interactive. We'll see what Hourences gets with The Ball, maybe that's a new powerhouse in the making :)

Finland has Rovio that is doing great for itself in a genre that's really not your current one. Remedy too but they're still very small and Finnish only so going there might be some sort of lonewolf adventure.

Iceland has CCP (Eve Online)

And that about sums it up.

Canada:

Huge development community in Montreal, followed somewhat by Vancouver and Toronto. Montreal itself has Ubisoft, Visceral, Square Enix, THQ, Warner Bros, A2M, Bioware and an army of small start ups looking to make it big. Quebec has Beenox and Ubisoft. Toronto has only recently started to grow its industry with Ubisoft, but you can also find Digital Illusions and Silicon Knights nearby. Vancouver I hear has hit a bit of a snag lately, with seemingly only Blue Castle Games really hitting it off alright after having recently been purchased by Capcom. Ubi also has a studio there, and there is always Propaganda (Disney) although they just canceled one of their two projects.

US:

Florida has a few low key studios, while North Carolina still has Epic and Tripwire Interactive. NYC has Kaos still there and no one else (publishers only). Boston is seeing some good stuff with Irrational and Harmonix. 38 Studios just recently left for Rhode Island. The PAX East conference is likely to drive more business around Boston too.

Down south, Texas (Dallas, Austin) are doing ok, with the likes of Bioware, Id, Vigil Games (Darksiders) and others.

West coast still is where it's at the most, with dozens of studios in California and Seattle, the two hot beds for video games in the world.

Asia:

Singapore is interesting to follow with the recent arrival of big studios (Ubi comes to mind again) and the film industry (LucasFilms) China and Shanghai have always been a weird situation, where the companies likely to hire an experienced western developer are making games for the western markets too and not for the local one where tastes are drastically different.

Japan: Most likely have to be fluent in Japanese to even stand a chance.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess Ireland, Iceland and Switzerland are pretty much of my list by now. I looked up imigration rules to Canada and Montreal sounds like a crazy good thing. Inside of Europe Sweden seems like the place to be. Didn't even think about England and Scotland yet but they sound interesting as well.

What I wondered was if any of you guys made back-up plans when you went outside your own country for the first time? The opportunity to migrate to somewhere half-way round the globe is totally kick-ass. But I must admit being a little bit afraid of the quick studio closings in the games industry. What do you do if say after 6 months your studio gets shut down and you sit on your luggage in an "alien"-environment?

Save some money for a rainy day every month and you will be less afraid of worst case scenarios.

For job safety the games industry unfortunately is a bad place.

Also try to not take too much stuff with you when you go abroad. Companies will pay relocation for you when they hire you but when you're out of job you pay for all the bills of moving back. With furniture and stuff this can get very expensive.

I've lived all my life moving from one place to another every 3 years on average. Ever since I was 6. So I don't have back-up plans, and I don't have a back-up place to store my shit. With that said I haven't been out of a job since I left my parents' home so I never really had to.

As much as this industry is reputed for being unstable, the reality of it is it really isn't any more or less than any other industry but since it's such a global one the impact is felt across the board much faster. If you worked in more common industries you'd lose a job and still would find opportunities within the same city. In the games industry, those cities are very limited and you will have to move quite far for the next venture. If that's more what you're looking for, as far as stability, look no where else but in Montreal, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Seattle and to some degree London and Paris.

Taking the visa situation in consideration, you're basically left with Montreal and other Canadian cities to a lesser degree. At least outside of Europe. Welcome to the club of European developers.

Yeah, that industry really isn't keen on families...

What I wondered was if any of you guys made back-up plans when you went outside your own country for the first time? The opportunity to migrate to somewhere half-way round the globe is totally kick-ass. But I must admit being a little bit afraid of the quick studio closings in the games industry. What do you do if say after 6 months your studio gets shut down and you sit on your luggage in an "alien"-environment?

Be minimalist in your lifestyle, just don't own to much shit. When I moved to the US i pretty much condensed all my belongings to one suitcase. It felt awesome getting rid of all the stuff I don't really need :). So basically be prepared to move without too much trouble.

Be minimalist in your lifestyle, just don't own to much shit. When I moved to the US i pretty much condensed all my belongings to one suitcase. It felt awesome getting rid of all the stuff I don't really need :). So basically be prepared to move without too much trouble.

Yeah that made my DVD-collection way more awesome aswell

Yeah that made my DVD-collection way more awesome aswell

Typical capitalist exploiting the misery of the working class. :fist:

":2elr3z62]
I think me and warby are the only ones that love making games, but really don't want to relocate? :D

Slackers?

Home lovers.

Slackers. :quagmire:

UK wise (England at least) there are a fair few studios that are doing OK depsite all the doom and gloom posted around, Crytek also has a studio here.