Sign in to follow this  
Warby

Double Fine x 4

very cool :).

though they notion of adventure games being dead is kind off weird, there's tons still being made. Who here actually still plays adventure games? Does anyone even play the new sam and max and monkey island games?

though they notion of adventure games being dead is kind off weird, there's tons still being made. Who here actually still plays adventure games? Does anyone even play the new sam and max and monkey island games?

I've played the new Monkey Island games, and the original two games along with them. I reaaaaaaaally enjoy a good adventure game, actually Psychonauts is something I only picked up this past christmas from the steam sale. I'm a huge fan of these games and am super stoked for what could result from all this :)

So in less than 24 hours they've made twice what they needed, bad-fuckin-ass~

Oh and yeah, the idea that adventure games are dead is slightly weird, it's kinda like saying that hardcore PC gaming is dead. They're obviously still there, but it's just a market that hasn't grown to the enormous behemoth that is....well, almost any other genre.

Well I think the video acknowledges that they're still made (the Germany line alluded to the fact most of them do come from there), but as someone who has played quite a few modern adventure games including the new Monkey Island and Sam & Max series, I'd say they're mostly great apart from the fact that financing generally just isn't there and so they end up quite low-budget and lacking production quality.

I think Telltale's games (Monkey Island, Sam & Max) suffer most from this because they simply haven't had the money to put together a truly good engine, so even their latest games look fairly dated and throughout the new Monkey Island series I was constantly distracted by obvious reskinning of the same models over and over, etc — and the lighting/texturing lacked what you'd expect from a modern game.

Double Fine is in quite a unique position because not only do they have a pretty awesome in-house engine (for their kind of style anyway), but they know it inside-out having developed an AAA game and a load of indie-style games on it. So for once we'll get a modern adventure game that isn't dragged back by all the technical issues most others are, and presumably most of the budget will go on pure production. Also the guys behind this are serious adventure game heavyweights which is another thing miscellaneous European start-up #10 doesn't have.

I played the new Jurassic Park game from Telltale recently. It was fun. :)