There was nothing before I was born, so I think it's pretty reasonable to assume there will be nothing after I die. Consciousness seems to be tied pretty closely tied to the complex inner workings of our brain, so once the brain stops working you are gone. I think it's pretty farfetched to think your consciousness will still be there after death, and even if it is, it won't really be you anymore..

BRING IT ON DEATH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

this right here there is no soul or anything there is only the ongoing process in your brain and when that stops it stops !

what saddens me more than thought of my own death is the very likely deaths of all my heroes in the next decade or two:

miyazaki wont do it much longer neither will ennio moricone or spielberg. i remmeber vividly how sad i was when i heared on the radio as a kid that "michael ende" had died !

as far as my own death goes id obviously prefer not die in a slow and painful manner also anythign sickness/disease related would absolutely suck !

have you guys seen "the wrestler" ? *SPOILER ALERT*

thats how i want to die ! killing myself by doing what i LOVE doing ! that was the single most uplifting ending to a movie i have ever seen !

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I fear death a lot. It is not constantly in my mind. But I would say I do many things daily to avoid death. Like drive carefully, eat, shit, wash my hands. Being killed is probably one of my worst fears. And I hate the idea that so many innocent people and animals who had shitty lives, were tortured and or killed will never get a chance for a happy life. Also sucks ass I will never get to experience so many of the awesome stuff yet to come. Although I'm happy I won't get to experience all the shitty stuff.

Also sucks ass Douglas Adams is dead.

i didn't exist for 14,000,000,000 years before i was born, being dead will be just the same so i don't care, dying is the only thing anyone should have to worry about. the one thing that does depress me is knowing all the things i'd miss in the future like technology and space travel.

also, technically reincarnation does happen. there are only so many carbon, oxygen, hydrogen etc atoms on earth, so everybody probably shares some atoms with dinosaurs, kings, molluscs, basically any species that ever lived. long after i'm gone, parts of me will be in species, stars and maybe even planets that don't even exist yet, which is enough to make me not worry about what happens when i am dead.

also, technically reincarnation does happen. there are only so many carbon, oxygen, hydrogen etc atoms on earth, so everybody probably shares some atoms with dinosaurs, kings, molluscs, basically any species that ever lived. long after i'm gone, parts of me will be in species, stars and maybe even planets that don't even exist yet, which is enough to make me not worry about what happens when i am dead.

yeah i've always had that in mind myself, it is also pretty much what made me rethink the case of death.

i don't believe in any gods or deities, but i like to think that there are more things than we can perceive or even imagine. the universe (or even, what lies beyond the universe) was never built for humans alone, so to think that we can see everything let alone consciously understand it is in my mind very arrogant. i have wondered if the universe isn't just some sort of snowglobe or cage, and if there aren't beings outside this cage. perhaps these are the being some refer to as gods, and perhaps they have no interest. perhaps they are some sort of farmers that harvest energy or unknown substances from this universe. perhaps there's just another universe beyond this universe. perhaps there's nothing. perhaps i just can't understand it.

I think that's another thing that really bothers me. While it's great being in the here and now, I want see what happens in the future. I'm going to miss it all :(

Does anyone ever think why you just happen to exist in this moment of time? Why not hundreds of years ago or thousands of years into the future? Why this particular period? I need to start smoking weed again to stop myself thinking.

I take it none of you have read or are interested in the authors that I listed? Most of them address the stuff you're all talking about without the hippy-dippy "we are all starstuff" conclusions even if they are technically correct (thanks Carl Sagan). There's no right or wrong answer but there are better paths of inquiry for the questions you're asking.

I disagree with the belief that death is analogous to life before birth. I think we have a tendency to romanticize the universe in a way where everything must be zero-sum from electrons to planets. Being human is an insurmountable handicap that leads us believe in a world defined by our experience and experiments.

You might say "well, we may not be able to know everything but we have the ability to know SOME things, we owe it to the universe as conscious creatures to explore and create to the best of our abilities" but that's a conversation for religion vs science not death.

What happens when you die is probably the most important and least important question at the same time.

I think it's kind of pretentious to make bold assumptions about death. we can scientifically jibber jabber about bodyfunctions but if that would answer ''the question'' about what happens after death, this discussion would be rendered useless. like religion, science can be that exact ''imaginary friend'' some people talk about. fact is, we still don't know what happens with our consiousness, we can only assume. my guess is 42.

Being an agnostic an pantheist my belief is that our conciousness either stops to exist completely after death or that it becomes part of a bigger conciousness that doesn't know individuals and existed already before we were born. My experiences on magic mushrooms are the main source for that belief. I know that i have experienced it first hand but then i can't be sure if it was just drug induced hallucinations.

I don't know the pupose of your last post HP. This is not EOT.

Besides that the idea of a higher conciousness is part of many philosophies and religions, including the big ones (look up "divine spark").

I have similar beliefs.

I do believe our consciousness lives on in some sort of energy-like state roaming the universe after death. Some religions call that "soul". However, I find it hard to believe that this energy-like state is sentient and driven by human emotions as they describe it. It's probably ruled by greater universal rules and as organic life is subject to evolution. These universal rules may be called as "God" by some religions.

The way I like to see it is that every "soul" is born the simplest way possible and then, through evolution, progressively incarnates in more complex life forms around the universe.

I once read a really far-fetched theory about Egyptians but it sounded pretty cool: The author claimed that the Egyptians were in fact former members of a nation in a much more advanced civilization somewhere else in the galaxy that were "sent" to Earth as a punishment for something terrible they did on their planet. That kind of fits with their obsession with Orion, after-life and their collapse.

I have no proofs or religions to back up my theories but I like to see the universe my own way. Besides, that's a lot cooler than just blacking out and ceasing to exist!

Well I try not to think like this too much really. I fear death before my time, that is when I'm young before I've done the stuff I "should" be doing like buying a house, getting married, having kids etc. I fear being killed by a gang or randomly stabbed by a stranger for no reason.. thankfully instances like that aren't so common.

i always imagined life was over by the time you were 30. after that time, you'd be chained down to your wife, house, kids, etc. i really don't want to settle down, ever.

easy, dont get any of the things you mentioned and stay single forever, dont buy a house, etc. ;)