that's how i feel about it. i just imagine dying will be choking on your last breath, and suffocation does not seem so nice to me

My gf is a nurse and has seen quite a lot of people die, and it doesn't seem to be that way. They don't suffocate, at least not the most part, rather they let out a last sigh that sounds like "aah, it's finally over". That said, she's either seen old or people pretty much constantly in pain. The rest just die while in their assisted sleep at the hospital or bleed their guts out. I guess. :celebrate:

Personally, I'm far too busy being busy to care about death. I'll think about it when it's the last thing I can look forward to.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

See this is what keeps me awake at night. Now that I exist, I find it beyond comprehension that I will eventually stop existing. I like being alive.

I think the approach you're taking can only lead to frustration and anxiety. The argument you're making puts too much weight on your knowledge of what existence is. The language we think and form our questions in is too weak for the world we experience. It's a moot point because we wouldn't have civilization without language but it's important to keep in mind that defining existence is akin to trying to cut down an oak tree with a foam pool noodle.

We all lay a foundation of assumptions before asking important questions. Questioning the assumptions will give you better results than answering your own questions.

":38ote5x5]
":38ote5x5]We're all dust, from dust we came, to dust we'll go.

You got that from the Bible...

Erm... no, I didn't. lol

Why, is that phrase in the bible?

Haha, I know you didn't but I was just pointing out the slight irony because it says that in multiple places :lol:

Some examples:

Genesis 3:19

Genesis 3:20

Psalm 103:14

Psalm 104:29

Ecclesiastes 12:7

There's a bunch others but they all reiterate the same thing, we came from dust, we are dust, we'll return to dust.

I want to die in a games-design related death. Not sure how that would work, but I want it to happen.

Like if you got trapped in this nightmarish reality where everything pans out like levels you've created? With a few tweaks, you might be onto a game idea there. :oops:

There was nothing before I was born, so I think it's pretty reasonable to assume there will be nothing after I die. Consciousness seems to be tied pretty closely tied to the complex inner workings of our brain, so once the brain stops working you are gone. I think it's pretty farfetched to think your consciousness will still be there after death, and even if it is, it won't really be you anymore..

BRING IT ON DEATH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

well, death is a nice thing. i'm not afraid to die and that is one of the few things I really base on my christian belief. like helder pointed out - from dust we rise, to dust we fall - once you accept your own death's fatality it's nothing scarry any more. just make sure you live by three fundaments: make this world the world you want to have, make it the world worth living for the people around you and be forgiving as you'll be forgiven. it's not some lines you constantly check, more like the big picture. and after all that comes the christian belief that my grandfather brought to me at his funeral with his gravestone inscription "I know that my redeemer liveth and that He shall stand at the latter day upon the earth. And tho' worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh shall I see God.".

I want to die in a games-design related death. Not sure how that would work, but I want it to happen.

Like if you got trapped in this nightmarish reality where everything pans out like levels you've created? With a few tweaks, you might be onto a game idea there. :oops:

Alan Wake, but as a game designer and not an author :zoidberg:.

For me death has never been a biggy, though that said if it's going to be a sucky painful death at least make it memorable like a record breaker or something odd.