3D gaming (stereoscopic etc kind...) do you care?

Izuno

Aside from the motion gaming stuff from Sony and Microsoft, another early big question ahead of E3 next week is about 3D gaming. What will Sony / MSFT need to show or announce that will make you interested in it if you are not already? From what I have seen, yeah, it's kinda cool. Some gamers I've spoken with act like it will be the biggest revolution in gaming since 3D gaming of the early 1990s (ie the kind many people saw when they played Doom's pseudo 3D for the first time). Do I want to pay $3,000 for a TV capable of displaying 3D games & movies? Meh. I checked out Monsters vs. Aliens last month at Best Buy and I found the 3D distracting. I went again recently and the only demo they had was the same movie. Would I eventually want this tech in my home if the content was widespread enough and the price of the hardware was low enough? Sure. Oh, wait,the glasses... Anyway, I'm skeptical that I will buy into it this year.

I am not a fan of the 3d revolution. It always hurts my eyes after an houre.

I have played a game on a 3d television the previous year on gdc. But it didnt had the wow effect.

Maybe some day there will be a game that makes good use of it. But for the moment I don't really care about it all.

Aside from the motion gaming stuff from Sony and Microsoft, another early big question ahead of E3 next week is about 3D gaming. What will Sony / MSFT need to show or announce that will make you interested in it if you are not already? From what I have seen, yeah, it's kinda cool. Some gamers I've spoken with act like it will be the biggest revolution in gaming since 3D gaming of the early 1990s (ie the kind many people saw when they played Doom's pseudo 3D for the first time). Do I want to pay $3,000 for a TV capable of displaying 3D games & movies? Meh. I checked out Monsters vs. Aliens last month at Best Buy and I found the 3D distracting. I went again recently and the only demo they had was the same movie. Would I eventually want this tech in my home if the content was widespread enough and the price of the hardware was low enough? Sure. Oh, wait,the glasses... Anyway, I'm skeptical that I will buy into it this year.

Well the TV's have dropped from 3k to 2k for a 42in (Samsung), in Canadian dollars. Its not so bad considering they are 120hz and 3D compatible.

I don't really care for the 3D/3D revolution either. Avatar was nice but the rest is a fad. Now everything (upcoming movies I would like to see) is overlayed with this bullshant.

my one functional eye says i don't give a sheit !

and my knowledge of human beings and their laziness says people hate wearing glasses therefor --> 3d = fail

we're discussing this at university from academic pov for like 5 months now and I'm still arguing that this is gonna be one big fail. 3d has failed in the past and it will fail again. the reason for this is, it's a purely art-based feature and doesn't improve or change gameplay significantly, while on the same hand the "war for graphics" has already come to a slow-down.

it's unnecessary. i really hate this trend with 3D shiet, it's annoying to watch a movie with fucking glasses on constantly and it just tires me out. just ditch it already. why not put research money into something worthwhile such as virtual reality instead? it'd be much better to have a movie where things are going on all around you.

3D where you need to use glasses is oldschool. I have tried several different 3D sreens at a convention earlier this year, that create the 3D sensation without wearing glasses. Oh and Nintendo 3DS anyone? It is nothing that got me waiting on the edge of my seat, but 3D for handhelds is going to become very real, very soon. I'm curious what E3 will bring.

I've seen a few ps3 games in 3D. Little big planet and stardust HD are pretty amazing in 3d, but I'm not too terribly excited about it though. I feel it's one of those things that a few games will do right and it will really add to the experience, but with most it will be just an extra they tacked on and it will just be distracting/annoying.

Duly noted. My feeling is that in the near term 3-D gaming (at least on consoles) is going to be mostly hot air and PR hype in 2010. I think it's going to take time for really intelligent uses of to come out, plus the install base of TVs capable of displaying it will take time to grow as well.

Going a step further, watch some videos of the 3D Gaming Summit on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... =0&spell=1

Pay special attention to the movie industry people who are so gung ho on 3-D gaming. We need a :hotair: emoticon.