• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of mine have been in the 4 hour range. I've had two full 8-hour day interviews as well, each involving talking to 8-10 people. And I've had shorter interviews with almost 15 people in on them. I guess technically I had about an 8 hour interview to come here, too, but it was split between two different on-site interviews... the studio was in the process of moving from Salt Lake City to Austin, so I had one interview in SLC with half the team and another in Austin with the other half of the team.

My interview at Ubi Sao Paulo was quite short, about 1 hour and a half. When they first announced the studio and 20 positions the community went nuts. Ubi received over 7.000 applications (if I recall). Most of them probably never stood a chance of course but it must have been quite hard to look through all those applications.

At the time of the interview the studio was still being worked on so Ubi rented a top floor office in a cool building nearby to carry the interviews. I was interviewed by the producer (brazilian), studio director (french) and by a technical director from Montreal (really nice guy, he was one of the core engineers of the Far cry 2 engine and tools).

We talked about personal stuff for a while and then moved on to career goals, mod work etc We then we played my Insurgency map on a laptop. That was the fun part because the guy asked interesting and technical questions regarding the level, eg: what steps had I taken to make it balanced, how did I go on to optimize it, how much planning was involved, what I liked and disliked the most about the map, how we managed to complete such a huge mod with people from all over the world etc...

I was then informally given the choice between Sao Paulo and Montreal. I chose SP because my plan was to move to Montreal once I was more experienced, so I could negotiate a better salary, conditions etc... Did I do the right choice? I'm not sure yet. Only time will tell. :wink:

What's the longest you've ever been in one?

Yesterday I spent 5 hours pretty much at one place :-D The time flew by!

Well I have spend 6 hours at one place for interview. I was there at 1 PM and finally my number came at 7. I was tired to wait like this that how long they will take for me. These 6 hours are horrible for me. Because before interview I was thinking about the result.

For those who were asking, this was for Crytek UK. I start next Tuesday provided I can get back home, pack stuff and move into the company flat in time! :quagmire:

oh shit son you're kidding?

that's totally fucking awesome.

I am really happy for you man!

be sure to hit me up on communicator and i will send you some hot pics of HP's ass

i guess artists have it much easier than LDs because we can easily prove that we can do the job, whereas LD is quite existential at times, and the true test is the amount of stress you can take and still put out great work - hard to test for something like that in a 30 min written test.

also: quad post

I think it's a bit harder for LD's to land a job at one of their dream companys because every company has very specific requirements. You need to know a lot of different editors and 3D tools and need to be good at scripting and good at visuals if you want to have a good chance everywhere.

But i think most LD's are a bit specialized into one kind of editors and in either scripting or visuals.

• 2 weeks later...

I've only had one interview -- it lasted 90 minutes and got me my first junior test engineer gig. They'd already downloaded all of my portfolio apps and looked at the code, so they knew I wasn't totally stupid. The interview merely confirmed this.

I've been fortunate enough to interview a load of people so far for test engineer positions (probably around the 8 mark) and in the first one I was probably as nervous as the candidate, haha. It's tough to do ... there are many bases to cover for programmers, and you really don't want to hire a bad one, so you do your utmost to throw the kitchen sink at them while also giving them the space to demonstrate their knowledge/skills.

Even companies like Microsoft go through turmoil and huge changes in their interview process, and the likes of google apparently have vastly disparate styles of interviews depending on which person/part of the company is conducting the interview. In short, it's a hard problem.

Just came back from an interview at Simthetiq in Montreal. They make game models for serious games and military simulations. Went super well, was myself and didn't choke on my words heh. Lasted about 20-30 minutes, talked about school, what I did there and such. They really liked the fact that I'm doing mod work as they said it shows my passion and determination to get into the industry. If all goes well with the talk with their accountant (and they say it should), I should have a formal offer by the end of this week! It would be for the summer with possibility of freelancing after that during uni. I should start next week, again if all goes well! Only question I stumbled on was when they asked me what were my salary expectations...couldn't really say as this would be my first job I said. In the end I just asked what would they be offering, and they said 15$/hr, which seems pretty decent to me for a starting salary for a junior? They said usually there'd be an evaluation and increase after 3 months, but since I'm only for the summer, will most likely just be 15.