William Tyler Buser - Level Designer

neotic

• 11 months later...

What's not to like? It looks and works very well. I love the little GDC button on the top right. Wish I could go :D

I really like how you have everything arranged on one page, and when you "get to the end" there's the nice suppliementary information about yourself. Clicking to expand projects is a great idea versus just taking you to another page.

Some comments though:

1. Browsing on my android tablet. Everything functions quite well, but I noticed the image gallery was very hard to navigate on the tiny buttons you had in the corners. I had to zoom in very far for them to be large enough to interact with like a normal button. Perhaps boosting their size a little bit would work, or having an easy to read alternate way to naviage between pictures? Aside from that, everything worked flawlessly.

2. Might be a good idea to have some kind of non-intrusive (design wise) table of contents, instead of having to scroll through the list to just get to "personal work" and "thesises", which are slightly harder to distinguish at a glance compaired to the previous. I don't think you really need to categorize professional/personal/bio/etc beyond what you've done, but it could be helpful from simply a convience/curiosity standpoint to have a table of contents that jumps srtaight to where on the page you have your personal work, or your bio/resume/misc information. Especially the last part. Its never a bad idea for there be an easy way to see or jump to contact information as soon as a page is loaded ;)

Granted this is not a major issue now, but if/when you decide to add more and more to your portfolio it could become a navigation issue for anyone who might want to look at your portfolio for something specific versus a general overview.

What's not to like? It looks and works very well. I love the little GDC button on the top right. Wish I could go :D

I really like how you have everything arranged on one page, and when you "get to the end" there's the nice suppliementary information about yourself. Clicking to expand projects is a great idea versus just taking you to another page.

Some comments though:

1. Browsing on my android tablet. Everything functions quite well, but I noticed the image gallery was very hard to navigate on the tiny buttons you had in the corners. I had to zoom in very far for them to be large enough to interact with like a normal button. Perhaps boosting their size a little bit would work, or having an easy to read alternate way to naviage between pictures? Aside from that, everything worked flawlessly.

2. Might be a good idea to have some kind of non-intrusive (design wise) table of contents, instead of having to scroll through the list to just get to "personal work" and "thesises", which are slightly harder to distinguish at a glance compaired to the previous. I don't think you really need to categorize professional/personal/bio/etc beyond what you've done, but it could be helpful from simply a convience/curiosity standpoint to have a table of contents that jumps srtaight to where on the page you have your personal work, or your bio/resume/misc information. Especially the last part. Its never a bad idea for there be an easy way to see or jump to contact information as soon as a page is loaded ;)

Granted this is not a major issue now, but if/when you decide to add more and more to your portfolio it could become a navigation issue for anyone who might want to look at your portfolio for something specific versus a general overview.

Ooooooh thanks. I was going over it with a friend and she wanted the resume stuff up top, but I think a table of contents could satisfy a lot. And yes, mmh. That's shadowbox, I'm just lucky I got it working... I'm not sure if I can get those arrows bigger but I'm going to try. And thanks for the nice comments, yes, one-page portfolio was my goal. I hate getting lost in nested portfolios. And when you do go to GDC you'll have to let me know! ;)

Ninja edit: I couldn't easily make the buttons bigger but I did space them out. I'll still look in to making them bigger themselves, but theres a lot of .css and java in there. Ugh, I made this 2 years ago and I forget how everything works.

Ninja edit 2: added a menu ooooooooh

Ninja edit 3: Looks like I'll have to reconsider the vertical menu... doesn't play well on the tablet emulator I ran it on.

Looking pretty good overall. You have some typos under your new entries, and your resume is missing your time at id.

Heh thanks for pointing those out, probably going to rewrite everything again... ugh, need for feedback makes me careless. :embarrassed:

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...