Sid Meier's Civilization V

Haha, totally, it's like a new dimension, or direction :G. Although Civilization is still one of my all time favorite game franchises, then it is starting to get kinda ridiculous with these new editions.

If you compare it to other long-running franchises, it's not that bad. Look at Tomb Raider, Resident Evil, Ultima, Final Fantasy, etc. :lol:

Alpha Centauri remake would be amazing.

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Finished my first game on the next easiest difficulty yesterday, was waaay too easy.

Anyway, then I started a new one on Prince difficulty, with Earth formation and Standard sized map....getting quite a bit of challenge now. Also I played the Japanese in my first game with all their combat strength bonuses, but this time around I'm playing as Romans, and it sure is a lot harder to defeat those damn barbarians. Constantly retreating or healing my units. It's great though, I love it!

I find it's more fun to play the game speed on epic. On normal all of my medieval units end up getting upgraded before I use them in anything but minor battles.

It's a great game, better than any game I've played in the genre (I never really got into civ IV). Sometimes I wish the AI was tactically smarter but then again I've yet to win a game on prince so it can be forgiven.

Yea epic is the most balanced speed.

The difficulty between prince and king seems a bit steep. On prince i can dominate with any game styles. On king the only way to win the game seems to be radical expansion and conquest of the weaklings. It's a game style that i don't like. I prefer a small kingdom with high culture and science.

One thing i don't like about Civ 5 are the city states. It's way too expensive to deal with them. I prefer to start the game with more civilizations instead. Two days ago i played a game with 22 civilizations on a tiny duell map :lol:

Finished my first game on the next easiest difficulty yesterday, was waaay too easy.

Anyway, then I started a new one on Prince difficulty, with Earth formation and Standard sized map....getting quite a bit of challenge now. Also I played the Japanese in my first game with all their combat strength bonuses, but this time around I'm playing as Romans, and it sure is a lot harder to defeat those damn barbarians. Constantly retreating or healing my units. It's great though, I love it!

LOL, that is EXCACTLY what I've done. (except I havent restarted the game, still owning as japan)

Tip: The AI is pants on retarded when it comes to battles overseas. Units never embark across landmasses if it's more than one tile between them. If you control an entire continent, you are safe. The enemy will only ever attack with naval units on your cities, but if you have ranged units stationed there or a naval army, it's no problem. However, if the AI sends Settlers across the entire world and will only embark onto "your" continent if they have a city there.

By knowing this, I won with a Cultural Victory as Egypt (LOLWONDERS) without building more then some scouting units :-D . Pick the mapstyle "Small Continents" and you'll see ... or even better: "Tiny Islands", and you'll sure be alone on an island, without a worry in the world.

How does diplomacy work in this game? There are times when I have 3 Giant Death Robots (or something) outside someone's last remaining capital when they ask for peace. I ask for a few gold extra so I have a reason to let them be, at which point they always decline and I end up destroying the capital. I've never successfully used diplomacy to do anything in my favor.

How does diplomacy work in this game? There are times when I have 3 Giant Death Robots (or something) outside someone's last remaining capital when they ask for peace. I ask for a few gold extra so I have a reason to let them be, at which point they always decline and I end up destroying the capital. I've never successfully used diplomacy to do anything in my favor.

hah golden :crazy:

Lol its true. While they have really perfected and streamlined alot, the AI isn't really up to par with the rest of the game... Once you go to war everyone hates you. I've never even been able to DEMAND anything from anyone yet, even if I own all cities and they are puny.