Sign in to follow this  
arhurt

Totally random concept/sketch thread

Cheers Sentura. Think next time I'll use a few different brushes. Got a bit carried away with the one brush and it gave the image a nasty blur effect. Ok as a thumbnail though!

Cheers Sentura. Think next time I'll use a few different brushes. Got a bit carried away with the one brush and it gave the image a nasty blur effect. Ok as a thumbnail though!

yeah, now that you mention it the blur definitely is too much. usually the first thing that catches me is the composition, which is pretty well established. for next time you could perhaps also try and use the classical dynamic for light and shadow where you have one diagonal line of light and one diagonal line of shadow stretching from corner to corner. IF you're into experimentation, anyway.

great work cardo!

@sentura, you're totally right, overworked it a bit to establish the volcano as main focus.

E89B5626-0C45-49CE-9206-201D67ECD4D5-1393-000004A6B7447179.jpg

it's better, but the wanderer and the castle still stand too much out. the wanderer really needs to be a silhouette and at the very least the castle needs to be obscured by fog or smoke or something.

on a minor note, stuff like skulls etc. - put them in piles or create more of them, then they also attract less attention. if you have a singular skull it's more likely people will take it as a symbol of something and allow it more attention, whereas if you have more of them they'll become an attribute of the setting of the image.

Good point. I think I'm kind of missing some way of doing it since it's "opening up". I think maybe adding some gradient between the foreground and background would help, but then it might also destroy the image by forcing too much of the foreground into the background. Maybe I just need to accentuate the foreground more as foreground and the background more as background.

I think I generally botched the shading - so that's definitely where I want to improve.

I guess I should have said CRITS WELCOME LOL

Like it. To give more depth i'd try to add something in the very foreground; and expanding on what KoKo wrote, you probably can darken a bit the top part and that should maybe add that depth.

And the shadow of the character looks a little bit washed out for how dark is the character's back.

Practicing pixel art and programming in Haxe/OpenFL/HaxeFlixel (special programming language that translates to other languages, really good for multiplatform stuff). 

tumblr_n0idq45QDl1spa2huo1_500.png

You can also see the clouds in motion (their brightness changes relative to how close they are to the sun. 

http://mahwebspace.levelism.com/flixel/chasingthedead/

EDIT: CRAP! those clouds should not be moving that fast, I was just doing that to debug the lighting thing.

Edited by AlexM