Sign in to follow this  
arhurt

Totally random concept/sketch thread

Yeah, because I don't feel like having a thread with my name on it... so we need one...

took about 3 hours... not sure if I'll add anything to it...

Arena02.jpg

had abit of free time at work :P

stranded02.jpg

Quick around 3 houre paint set in the hl universe.

these horizontal citadels were buid all around the coastline. The Combine move into the village daily and load the people on transportation. Though

noone knows what happens to them, the villagers suspect the worst.

thx 2 felix for his random jokes suggestions/feedback/help ;D

yeah it looks like you took photos of the cinque terre there and combined them and then just threw the hand painted citadel on it. it looks cool for a mood picture though.

by populair demand image has been updated. paint was more about the mood and the opening shot, didnt expect the detail of the citadel to be so distracting :) thx for the feedback

I like the concept, and the landscape. But i'm afraid i'm gonna have to say the same thing again. The composition leads the eye towards the girl, dragging attention away from the sea, even though the sea has the most interesting and pretty painting. When i'd paint something like this, i would either a) focus on the girl, make sure that is painted really well or b) use a composition that would point the eye to the sea. I guess in this case the concept only allows a. The hardest part about painting is (i graduated as a painter from art school) when you have a part of your painting that's really nice, but it distracts from what the painting is about, what you wanna show. In my experience you either have to get rid of the pretty part, or change the entire painting except that part, even if it changes what you had in mind. I know neither sound very appealing, but uh :banjo:

*edit*. Just thought of an option c). Right now the girls loose painting looks wrong to me because it feels like a sketch. Maybe try simplifying how you painted her, as if she's in the middle of the sunlight, no shadows. Really straight hair, etc, etc. Painting her in a simple manner isn't the problem, but the sketchy feeling is.

But seriously, good work, i dig

*edit 2* Just had another look and what also annoys me a bit is (this is gonna sound so technical, painting-nerdy) that the sun, the tree on the rock and the girl are all in one line. Put your finger over the sun and the tree and see what you think. In my opinion it'd make it a lot better. More dynamic, more focus on the sea and the girl and also a little less postcard ;)

had abit of free time at work :P

http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/9118/stranded02.jpg

Quick around 3 houre paint set in the hl universe.

these horizontal citadels were buid all around the coastline. The Combine move into the village daily and load the people on transportation. Though

noone knows what happens to them, the villagers suspect the worst.

thx 2 felix for his random jokes suggestions/feedback/help ;D

This is sweet. But I dont know how I feel about you calling this a paint set. You are clearly using photographs. Is that what a paint set is? A mixture between the two?

http://www.kimtours.com/upload/cinque_terre.jpg (been there myself, its fucking awesome)

This is sweet. But I dont know how I feel about you calling this a paint set. You are clearly using photographs. Is that what a paint set is? A mixture between the two?

sorry punctuation :P Quick around 3 houre paint, set in the hl universe. its more of a mood paint or a matpaint I believe its called? then an actually paint, its a very common way of working (atleast here :) ) if you wanna set up an area, for level-art.