Sign in to follow this  
FrieChamp

Aion

seems like i´m the only one who really enjoys aion here :lol:

I haven´t played very much yet because of my long work times but i like it so far, i´ma lvl 13 templar.

And, imo, flying is awesome :-D

EDIT: I even have my custom graphic settings...

unbenannttoeq.jpg

Continuing the trend. Asmodian was here, Elyos is loser.

21m9ptv.jpg

Did some accidental PvP today, a quest dumped me in Elyos' land up somewhere safe with the quest thinking I would teleport back. Instead I jumped off, glided down, landed in a circle of about 8 people, hit hide and ran away scared because they all said “??” as level. Then I realised they must all say that and looked for someone to hit. The guy I eventually opened on ran into mobs at my unexpected appearance on his spinal column but then, in true MMO style, I got clustered.

I might have come off a bit negative there, dont get me wrong; its a game worthy of the 50$ i payed for it, its just not... as good as wow.

I hear in Cataclysm you'll be able to raid with 2 people and every NPC will have its own faction to get exalted with.

EDIT: I even have my custom graphic settings...

unbenannttoeq.jpg

Yep, that's the cryengine 1 I remember from when I first bought FarCry and my graphics card wasn't up to snuff... Although I don't think mine was that bad, but different games :v

Yep, that's the cryengine 1 I remember from when I first bought FarCry and my graphics card wasn't up to snuff... Although I don't think mine was that bad, but different games :v

But I have that in every game ;D

watch that: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=

theres nothing hardcore about it :P

I played the demo, it was fun, looked great and so on, however, it's basically WoW with a paintjob.

It is hardcore, and compared to WoW it's VERY hardcore. Maybe not so much in the beginning though. Just to give you a few clear examples:

- You loose XP when you die and it costs alot of money recovering this XP

- Everything costs lots of money, from travel to buying skills to expanding inventory space and so on, and especially GEAR.

- You need good gear or you die. It's not like in WoW where gear doesnt really matter until endgame. And you wont get even nearly enough good gear from quests (most is crap from this source) so you will have to trade with other players constantly just to be able to advance at a sane pace.

- It takes about 4 times longer to level up than in WoW.

- Much of the game content is pvpve where you do pve content but run a constant risk of getting ganked.

- One of the key character differentiation systems in Aion is that you place "Manastones" in your gear with various stats. These manastones cost ALOT of money and yes, the socketing of any manastone can fail, destroying all other manastones previously socketed into that item. High level gear has 6 manastone sockets so you can imagine the risk of failing losing ALOT of spent money. The plusside is that you feel all cheerful and happy whenever you are able to fill an item with good manastones :)

- There is an enchantment system where you can improve the basic stats of an item. Again, costs alot of money and you can fail which will take the item back to the previous enchantment level instead of advancing to the next.

- Bosses in pve content can drop "nothing" :)

I'm sure I can think of more, but basically Aion is more of a balance between risk and reward where WoW is basically just reward reward reward. Failure in WoW leads to maybe some lost time, failure in Aion is severely and brutally punished (again, you will be eased in to this and it wont be as noticable at low levels).

So basically, failing at anything in Aion sucks, but succeeding in anything feels genuinely rewarding :) That's the essence of why anyone would play a hardcore game I'd say.

- Everything costs lots of money, from travel to buying skills to expanding inventory space and so on, and especially GEAR.

- You need good gear or you die. It's not like in WoW where gear doesnt really matter until endgame. And you wont get even nearly enough good gear from quests (most is crap from this source) so you will have to trade with other players constantly just to be able to advance at a sane pace.

- Much of the game content is pvpve where you do pve content but run a constant risk of getting ganked.

- One of the key character differentiation systems in Aion is that you place "Manastones" in your gear with various stats. These manastones cost ALOT of money and yes, the socketing of any manastone can fail, destroying all other manastones previously socketed into that item. High level gear has 6 manastone sockets so you can imagine the risk of failing losing ALOT of spent money. The plusside is that you feel all cheerful and happy whenever you are able to fill an item with good manastones :)

- There is an enchantment system where you can improve the basic stats of an item. Again, costs alot of money and you can fail which will take the item back to the previous enchantment level instead of advancing to the next.

All that makes it sound like it is encouraging hours of grinding simply to be able to access some of the most basic content. I don't want to have to farm space-boars for 3 hours just to buy a sword that could randomly break in the middle of an instance.

Also PVPVE is a good description of any MMO that allows questing in PVP zones.

How is the combat in Aion? A friend of mine tried it, hated it, and came back to AoC to swing clubs and fire arrows. So I'm presuming it is much like WoW, where you press buttons and wait for timers to finish, right?

All that makes it sound like it is encouraging hours of grinding simply to be able to access some of the most basic content. I don't want to have to farm space-boars for 3 hours just to buy a sword that could randomly break in the middle of an instance.

Also PVPVE is a good description of any MMO that allows questing in PVP zones.

It's not for everyone, hence "hardcore" :) Some people like risk versus reward, other people (probably most) just want the cheap dulled out rewards without the risk (yes I'm biased :P).

How is the combat in Aion? A friend of mine tried it, hated it, and came back to AoC to swing clubs and fire arrows. So I'm presuming it is much like WoW, where you press buttons and wait for timers to finish, right?

It's more like WoW when it comes to using skills (cooldowns etc), but from level 15+ with most classes Aion's skill-system imo have a much better "fun factor". All skills play very nicely into one another and you have sequences of "chain-skills" which all get bound to the same button which increases the amount of different skills you can use without demanding more hotkeys. And there are also many reaction-skills for each class that are dependent on for example a shield block or an evade (yes, this is nothing new). All in all the skill system is nothing too special or unique, but it's very well made and has great visual effects which all in all makes you feel more powerful.

That's vastly overstated. Manastones and enchants do have a chance to fail, but you get manastones every four mobs and an enchant from destroying any piece of unneeded gear. You will get the upgraded manastones for your best gear, of course, but that doesn't matter for basic content.

It's actually fairly difficult to get into enemy territory. A Rift will randomly appear allowing players to teleport through. So you'll get players pouring into an enemy zone in massive groups rather than the occasional ganking git. The neutral area (the Abyss) is different with controllable territory, which I think also gets attacked by mobs for the PvPvE element.

The combat is the same bar of abilities and timers system you see in most MMO's, which I prefer to AoC's system. As an Assassin I'm finding myself using a lot of skills and being quite reactive (especially compared to WoW). Nice little decisions like backstab actually working from the front but doing relatively no damage so you can't just spam it while spinning around (as in Lineage iirc), and evade skills are simply 100% for one ability rather than RNG for a duration.

hahaha AoC :D

Im surprised aoc didnt sink the funcom ship.

This news was released today:

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/f ... -workforce

This seems to tie in with a bigger relocation plan to move most of its workforce to Montréal, so there might not be any Funcom in Norway soon enough ;)

P.S. Sorry to keep bringing up AoC/Funcom in this thread, but I figured this fits into the discussion and doesn't really deserve its own thread.

Yeah I read that on the local newspaper, appareantly most of the norwegian staff has been fired now, and the rest is moving to canada^^