Battlefield Bad Company 2

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't come across any bugs when I played it. None that I can remember anyway. Still, the server browser is rubbish. Unlike most other games - where the search results are displayed as it searches - this game does a full search before displaying anything. Boo.

Yeah, my major gripes so far have not been with what happens in-game, but more with the crappy server browser and the CTD's I've been getting ever since the servers came back up last night. Why do DICE always make soso server browsers =/.

I didn't come across any bugs when I played it. None that I can remember anyway. Still, the server browser is rubbish. Unlike most other games - where the search results are displayed as it searches - this game does a full search before displaying anything. Boo.

Hah, Dice never learns, that has always been the problem with BF's server browser :/ You can't even back out/exit betweeen rounds.

The fov was sorted in BF2 but the GUI / HUD was still mangled.

Regarding BC2: The server browser in the beta was worse than BF2's, and BF2's server browser was a steaming pile of poop. The funny thing is this: Remember that thing called Gamespy (pre-Gamespy Arcade) back in the early 90s? It was this like, you know, server browser that you could use to -- shock horror -- find and ping servers. Also recall that it ran nicely even on Windows 95 using a 56k modem. It updated servers as it found them. You could cancel a search, filter by any number of criteria and various games were hooked into it.

Well, it's now 2010 and Dice are still making the most godawful server browsers. Why? :( Seriously. It's not a trivial problem, but it's been solved scores of times in the past, including a decade ago when using vastly inferior hardware.

I played Conquest for like five hours today. I have to say, I didn't really encounter a single technical issue and absolutely fell in love with it once I got through that inevitable first shitty hour or so that comes with any Battlefield game's learning curve.

The only criticism I have is that infantry are definitely a bit handicapped until you get some upgrades, at which point you start dealing damage more effectively generally have more fun. I guess this was the same in 2142, though.

The destruction really adds a lot to the game. Firefights are so exciting when you've got foliage, building, and ground being blown to smithereens. I had a particularly fun moment earlier when I carved a little opening into a building for my tank, reversed it in so only the turret was protruding, then assholed enemies as they came to take a point I had line of sight to. :D Was like that tiger tank in Band of Brothers.

Great fun, totally Battlefield. Any formula changes that were made are positive IMO, including the big step of removing the commander, allowing infinite sprint, and — gasp — removing prone. Very much going to keep me happy until a possible BF3. :cool:

Hmm I just checked out the official forums and there's a 70 page thread about disconnects, (additional) punkbuster kicks and loads of threads about crashes. It sounds like there's a lot of issues to be ironed out. Great game or not, I'm going to wait for a while -- I have no desire to go through the first month of BF2 again, it was an exercise in futility.

It's interesting to see all of the gushing reviews that pretty much sidestep these things or don't even mention them. I recall the same thing happened with BF2 -- one or two of the reviews awarded a lower score due to the numerous bugs, but the 'big' review sites acted like everything was perfect. I guess it's a side effect of wanting to get your reviews out asap -- you only get a true picture of a large online game once it's hit the stores and these issues start popping up.

The game itself is great in just about every way. It's everything that leads up to you actually playing the game is pure shit (EA servers crashing, server browser, friends management, server management, punkbuster, etc). It's like DICE spent the entire dev time making just the game, and then crammed everything else together in a weekend.

I initially regretted not being able to play it on PC. Like Valve's games then the BF games for me are mainly PC games at heart. However it really sounds like they made a mess of it by all yer accounts, too bad.

Apart from some EA server downtime in the weekend, then it works great on the 360. Played it online with some colleagues yesterday and it was probably some of the best fun I've had with a multiplayer game in years. Just a constant supply of "Oh fuck! Oh fuck!" moments, was great. Had some pretty good matches in Rush mode, but even at it's best then it has absolutely nothing on Conquest mode.

Oh and snipers can eat shit and die :)