WIP in WIP, post your level screenshots!

Marcos

On 9/24/2021 at 9:21 PM, SirSnail said:

Haven't posted anything on the site yet until I got to a certain level, small Wingman map for CS:GO.

It's an overgrown castle on an island because that's just the direction it took but I think it looks neat.

Still working out the textures so it'll look (hopefully) better.

Counter-strike  Global Offensive Screenshot 2021.09.24 - 13.08.17.76.png

You say “castle on an island” as if it didn’t make sense… but you can find them ;) I think it looks a bit cartoonish because of the scale, but you’re still working on it, nothing you can’t adjust.

The buoys have already been mentioned; in would ask the question “how the van got there”, just looks very fictitious, what I mean there’s no path and no visible ramp that would make sense (like the lower stairs on the right).

Another point that I don’t think work is the texture: painted like this looks very CS Source, it would make more sense to paint according to geography (plants like those prefer to grow in shade, so would be more abundant in your north – atm it’s all very equally distributed). For some inspiration of dilapidated castles I suggest you take a look at Uncharted 4, the first chapter is set in a fortress on the coast, and then there’s an entire town in the last few chapters. You can’t get as much detail in CSGO but it sure can be some inspiration.

That segways in: where is this island? You have palms and conifers which don’t help establish a theme, if it’s a hot place the sky/sun colour seem a bit cold, etc.

Lastly you have lights that are just there to fill the visual: they’re not highlighting any particular detail and distracting from the actual paths the player can take; I think the one on the left is good because on top of a door, I would turn off the others and lit up the lamppost top of central stairs and put something on the right where the other post is.

Otherwise for one of your first creations is coming up good!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm remaking Well from Team Fortress Classic, sure there will be screenshots at some point but I'm just started to remake it and I like where this is going.

On 10/30/2021 at 3:04 PM, Poofoge said:

I'm remaking Well from Team Fortress Classic, sure there will be screenshots at some point but I'm just started to remake it and I like where this is going.

You're taking on way too many things at the same time bro, lol.

1 hour ago, Buddy said:

You're taking on way too many things at the same time bro, lol.

It's just a hobbies for level design not actually a serious project : (

Hi guys, I just finish creating my Firs Person controller for UE4.
For the test I made tutorial level for it.
If you have tame, please play this demo and give me feedbak about controller, how it`s feel, any bugs was found? It will be absolutely ideal if you also record a video with the process.
Link to dawnload demo:  https://drive.google.com/file/d/1g8O8YIWH4oP3qxk16Q0HgJ-1dnaYVuxT/view?usp=sharing
393262392_Screenshot2021-11-02205329.png.042c28a0af96cbfb5d38287b8baf5eb2.png
1267738303_Screenshot2021-11-02205036.png.a1e26fd6d56aaf10b060f6e7ef862d79.png
1432501361_Screenshot2021-11-02205732.png.72922af37537c9684fc5593a891f74a1.png

j7JXU3v.jpg

Here's a screenshot from de_rail, now wm_lakestreet. I decided to turn this into a wingman map so I can actually finish it. I cut what I think was the worst area of the map and now I have something that is much more manageable. I encourage everyone who has a defuse map in the works, which they feel overwhelmed by, to consider taking a part of it and turning it into a wingman. I did this for three reasons. Firstly, the complete layout woulld require very good understanding of residential building interiors and I would have to create too many assets for the great number of unique interiors players would walk through. Secondly, wingman maps are much easier to playtest. And thirdly, I have one more defuse layout that's in the works and I decided that if I am to commit to a big project I should chose the more interesting layout so I chose the other map.

It seems as if the more time I spend workinig on a texture, the more satisfied I am with the result 🤔. How intriguing.

Edited by NikiOo

Interesting @NikiOo. There’s always time to expand and create the two bomb layout… quite interestingly in an old video 3kliksphillip explained how he created his winter map by basically building wingman maps before wingman was a thing, testing the single bomb sites and then connecting it.

16 hours ago, blackdog said:

Interesting @NikiOo. There’s always time to expand and create the two bomb layout… quite interestingly in an old video 3kliksphillip explained how he created his winter map by basically building wingman maps before wingman was a thing, testing the single bomb sites and then connecting it.

All of you mortals can't even begin to comprehend this shit. I tackle these monolithic projects all the time. While you're sitting there scratching your head, trying to wrap your mind around the car's engine, I'm out there designing pistons and manifolds. It's like a conveyor belt through my head - problems coming in, solutions coming out. Zero resistance, maximum current. I am the founder of object-oriented level design!

And this? This is just one of the pieces for de_lakestreet. I've already made wm_lakestreet2 and wm_lakestreet3. I didn't share them out of pity. Cause I know many of you will straight up quit mapping when you see how productive I am.

On 11/13/2021 at 4:34 PM, ThunderKeil said:

Collected all my reference screenshots together for a timelapse

anim2a.gif

That final image looks pretty dope with a much better feeling of depth and especially lighting! Do you intend to release this as a competitive/casual map in the future? I assume you actually live near the building to get these reference photo's, or do you manually recreate them? Very curious to see the final result 😮

1 hour ago, JorisCeoen said:

Do you intend to release this as a competitive/casual map in the future?

Not particularly, I'm probably keeping it a deathmatch/variety map as long as I'm working on the project alone. I have thoughts of what else to make of it, but unless I can really nail it down ( which I can't ) I think there's little to be gained branching the project off like that

I assume you actually live near the building to get these reference photo's, or do you manually recreate them?

Nope, just working off pictures. I'd love to go someday but the past year(s) have been . . suboptimal for international travel.

15 hours ago, ThunderKeil said:

Nope, just working off pictures. I'd love to go someday but the past year(s) have been . . suboptimal for international travel.

Whenever you are able to go, I suggest you go around the corner and enter from the back entrance. There’s normally massive queues (due to bag checks) at the front as people don’t know there’s another entrance (I guess, or they just want the selfie at the front).