WIP in WIP, post your level screenshots!

Marcos

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, blackdog said:

What are the differences @JimFKennedy? Seems to not have the raised central area like other maps but can’t tell much from the shots

Yeah the shots were specifically to show parts that were finished, there is a 'raised central area' but its not really worth showing yet.

3 hours ago, JimFKennedy said:

Yeah the shots were specifically to show parts that were finished, there is a 'raised central area' but its not really worth showing yet.

Cool 😎 haven’t played CS for an long time, DZ even longer, but still I’m curious what are the differences from the standard meta you were alluding to 🤓

8 hours ago, blackdog said:

Cool 😎 haven’t played CS for an long time, DZ even longer, but still I’m curious what are the differences from the standard meta you were alluding to 🤓

These 'differences' are still to be integrated, but they are just small changes to functions like tablet blockers and hostage zones.

4 hours ago, ThunderKeil said:

@SirSnail

Looks great, though I'd suggest moving the buoys a bit farther from shore - they kind of mess with the perceived scale, sort of makes it looks like a snowglobe if you know what I mean

Well - unless that's what you were going for of course, in which case chef's kiss

Yeah still need to change a few more things, working on the 3D skybox as well which is probably where I'll put them but for now it's a funny death tripwire

On 9/28/2021 at 9:34 PM, zastels said:

I think you're doing it in a strange way. If you want more lighting inside, there are many unique options besides letting it come in from the roof. You can change the $reflectivity of your indoor textures, incorporate texture lighting, and lesson your shadow colour. This technique will make it look convincing. 

Please elaborate because I honestly do not have a clue how to get started with advanced lighting

There's already boosted $reflectivity on the tiled floors, it helps a bit but it doesn't provide the scattered diffuse light I'd need to mimic the real thing

I'm hesitant to raise the shadow colour because I feel it'd lose too much depth, and quite honestly I find the map a bit washed out as it is

[edit] ok wait I think I'm starting to figure it out

turns out the trick was to turn on HDR and spam spotlights

Edited by ThunderKeil

On 9/24/2021 at 9:21 PM, SirSnail said:

Haven't posted anything on the site yet until I got to a certain level, small Wingman map for CS:GO.

It's an overgrown castle on an island because that's just the direction it took but I think it looks neat.

Still working out the textures so it'll look (hopefully) better.

Counter-strike  Global Offensive Screenshot 2021.09.24 - 13.08.17.76.png

You say “castle on an island” as if it didn’t make sense… but you can find them ;) I think it looks a bit cartoonish because of the scale, but you’re still working on it, nothing you can’t adjust.

The buoys have already been mentioned; in would ask the question “how the van got there”, just looks very fictitious, what I mean there’s no path and no visible ramp that would make sense (like the lower stairs on the right).

Another point that I don’t think work is the texture: painted like this looks very CS Source, it would make more sense to paint according to geography (plants like those prefer to grow in shade, so would be more abundant in your north – atm it’s all very equally distributed). For some inspiration of dilapidated castles I suggest you take a look at Uncharted 4, the first chapter is set in a fortress on the coast, and then there’s an entire town in the last few chapters. You can’t get as much detail in CSGO but it sure can be some inspiration.

That segways in: where is this island? You have palms and conifers which don’t help establish a theme, if it’s a hot place the sky/sun colour seem a bit cold, etc.

Lastly you have lights that are just there to fill the visual: they’re not highlighting any particular detail and distracting from the actual paths the player can take; I think the one on the left is good because on top of a door, I would turn off the others and lit up the lamppost top of central stairs and put something on the right where the other post is.

Otherwise for one of your first creations is coming up good!